logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Report printing Issues
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2023 1:03:14 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
When running the Contest Summary with Multiplier report I get a window pop-up that is looking for some database file, pic attached. It takes hitting the ESC key on the keyboard about 15 times before it finally asks if you want to cancel the print job.
This is actually occurring when trying to print other reports as well. Printing to screen seems to work.

Thanks for any fix

Brad, K8ZM
File Attachment(s):
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2023 7:52:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Quote:
***Just found that running any report pop's up that same window looking for some file to open.....ugh.
Including the log report log.rep?

If that is the case, the problem is specific to your installation. Let me know and I will dig thru the code. MAYBE try reinstalling the latest update on top of what's there. If a file got deleted accidentally that will fix it.

If the log report is OK on your end, please give me another example. Are the problems all with contest reports?

Quote:
Printing to screen seems to work.

At what point in running the report does it ask for the .DBF file?

Tnx/73,

DH
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2023 11:47:17 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

So, I did some fooling around with this and it only happens when I print a report, output to screen, then (after previewing the report and closing out of the previewer) select output to printer. Once I hit the printer icon the attached pop-up appears. I dont close the window between outputting to screen and outputting to printer. I know you fixed that issue some time ago but for some reason its reoccurring. Since this started happening, I used to be able hit escape or cancel 10, 20 or 30 times and it would pop-up some window asking I wanted to quit the print routine, today it doesnt even do that and its stuck in that pop-up asking for the dbf file and I have to force LOGic to close via windows.

Note if I dont print to screen first, i.e. dont preview the report and just print to the printer, it works fine and I can run many reports in a row.

Brad
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 6/16/2023(UTC)
W5GA
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2023 7:59:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Brad, you know you can print from the previewer without closing it, right?
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 7/10/2023(UTC)
K8ZM
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2023 9:51:47 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Yes, except the previewer doesn't support printing on both sides of the paper, so if only a single page I always print from the previewer as its easy and quick, but if a multipage report I'm forced to wait for the fix or waste a lot of paper.

Thanks for the suggestion !!

73, Brad K8ZM
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 7/10/2023(UTC)
K8ZM
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 7:51:53 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

I accidently went to print a second multi-page report and LOGic locked up, stuck in the screen looking for a .dbf file. Had to Cntrl-Alt-Del to get out of it. Any chance of this getting fixed ??

Thanks,

Brad K8ZM
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 8:39:02 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

I tried printing two log.rep reports, both to screen and printer, and no error.

Please provide more details. Is it repeatable? Can you do it with the log report, or only some other report?

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 9:54:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

There is an update to the previewer:

v3.00.190 - 2023-05-07
- *IMPORTANT FIX* the report engine could change the selected alias during the report run

https://www.foxypreviewe...oads.html#updatehistory

That might fix it. I'll put it in the next update. Or download whatever version you want to try, unzip, and save FoxyPrieviewer.app to the LOGic install folder c:\program files (86)\logic

To see what version of the previewer you are running, preview any report, then click on the Setting (gear) button.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 10:02:37 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

When I print (to printer, no preview) the first report prints fine and all seems good until I print a second report which immediately pops-up a LOGic open file window after you click on PRINT in the print dialog box.
Running LOGics native Awards report.

Brad
File Attachment(s):
20230830a-PrinterDialogBox.jpg (3,743kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
20230830b-LOGicOpenFileDialogBox.jpg (4,359kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
K8ZM
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 11:03:45 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Tried the newer FoxyPreviewer and same result. The first time I print it prints without issue, second time the LOGic Open file window pops up after clicking PRINT in the printer dialog box.

Old FoxyPreviewer v3.00.183 2023.04.03
New FoxyPreviewer v3.00.193 2023.05.11

I just overwrote the file. There was a FoxyPreviewer_Settings.DBF file that I left alone but it now has a time and date stamp of about the time I ran the last report.

PS: I rebooted the PC and re-launched everything and tried this again and same thing. Its weird the first report runs fine but subsequent reports all pop up that open file window.

Brad
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 2:31:52 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, if you aren't using Print to Screen, then FoxyPreviewer shouldn't be an issue. It isn't used.

I still could not reproduce the error.

Perhaps your awards report is different. Attached is the report from the distribution. Please unzip and place contents in c:\program files (x86)\logic\report

An option is to modify the report, go to the DEFAULTS AND DESCRIPTION tab, and enable CLOSE AFTER PRINTING.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
File Attachment(s):
AWARDS.zip (7kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
K8ZM on 8/30/2023(UTC)
K8ZM
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 4:19:14 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Didnt see a posted report but I did modify the report to enable Close After Printing. The report window did close after printing, but the second report still pops up a LOGIC open file window. I can try to re-install the printer driver even though its the latest version and hasn't changed in a year or so but I just dont think thats it.

Tnx, Brad
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 7:55:45 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Sorry, I forgot to attach the report 🤦‍♂️. It is there now.

I doubt it is the printer driver. I actually "printed" using the Microsoft Print to PDF driver included with windows. Give that a whirl and see if any difference.

Tnx & 73,

DH
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
K8ZM on 8/30/2023(UTC)
K8ZM
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 11:30:30 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Sadly, no difference with the new (old) report. The MS Print to PDf I think I tried some time ago but they have dummied it down so much it sucks at formating text correctly and in general cant even display a simple page layout consistently. I guess I'll have to change my printer settings to force it to by default print double-sided before printing any LOGic multi-page reports and hope to remember to change it back when done. At least that way I can print from inside the previewer. I wonder why the FoxyPreviewer doesnt support double-sided printing, one would think it a basic and common feature Confused.

I did notice if you leave the Run Report Options window open after printing and print it again it will print it again and again without issue. Its like once that window is closed and then re-opened for another report is when it pops up the open file window instead of printing.

Also when trying to print the second report and getting the LOGic Open File window pop-up the windows printer que showed a print job but it just sat there like its trying to spool but never does. Instead of Cntrl-Alt-Deleting out of LOGic I left the Open File window and the printer que window open and after about 3 or 4 minutes the printer started to print but only a partial page and it never ejected till after I killed the print job. Not sure if that helps any.

For the heck of it I deleted my printer and driver and re-installed but alas.....

Brad, K8ZM
WN4AZY
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2023 6:51:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I just wanted to see if the Print to PDF eliminated the error.

Quote:
I wonder why the FoxyPreviewer doesn't support double-sided printing, one would think it a basic and common feature.
I agree. Maybe it is in the new version. I haven't tried the beta yet. Heck, they ought to just expose the manufacturer's printer driver like LOGic does.

Quote:
Also when trying to print the second report and getting the LOGic Open File window pop-up the windows printer que showed a print job but it just sat there like its trying to spool but never does.
LOGic isn't SPOOL aware. LOGic is obviously in a funny state, and would probably print the partial second report even if not SPOOLed.

The Foxpro workarea is getting changed somehow. I could log in to your computer and watch you run the report and mirror your actions here and hopefully reproduce it. Or send me a video screen capture. I use the paid version of this for the LOGic YouTube videos. I think the free one limits recording time to 15 minutes.

https://screenpal.com/screen-recorder

DH

K8ZM
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 18, 2024 4:02:05 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

This issue has been about LOGics printer dialog box and how after the very first report gets printed and you try to print a second report, LOGic would pop-up an Open File dialog box immediately after hitting the Printer Icon expecting you to select some DBF file. The ONLY way to close this Open File window was force closing LOGic via Task Manager. Not using LOGics printer dialog box to "Output to Printer" but instead using "Output to Screen" would launch LOGics report previewer (Foxypreviewer) and doing this allowed for printing multiple reports in a row without issue.

That worked ok except Foxypreviewer doesnt support double-sided printing. But creating a second printer profile, i.e., printer A prints single sided, printer B prints double-sided, I can output to either one from within Foxypreviewer with zero issues. Problem solved.

So my thought is.....it seems Foxypreviewer can "Output" to almost anything. Could LOGics printer dialog box be morphed into just a 'Select Report Criteria" dialog box, i.e., no "Output" options at all??

Speaking of Foxypreviewer, I've been trying several Beta versions and currently running v3.258 (2024 Jan 14) which is working perfectly. I somehow stumbled onto foxite.com which is where the developer of Foxypreviewer apparently "lives". I posted a question on duplex printing and got a surprise reply that he would look at adding that feature in a future update. He's frequently releasing Beta versions with enhancements and/or tweaks so who knows.

73 de Brad, K8ZM
K8ZM
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2024 1:41:33 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

FYI

The latest Foxy Previewer Beta release v3.00.269 (2024Feb18) includes a working 2-sided printing option. You can now select duplex printing from Printer Preferences within FoxyPreviewer. The old duplex printing option was Manual only but now is called 2-Sided Printing with a drop-down where you can select "Off", "Horizontal Duplex" (flipped on long edge), "Vertical Duplex" (flipped on short edge) or the original "Print on both sides (Manual)".

File Attachment(s):
FoxyPreviewer_v3.269 Beta-20240218-SetUp7.png (124kb) downloaded 9 time(s).
WN4AZY
#18 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2024 4:21:52 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Thanks --

I will go ahead and apply the Foxy{reviewer to the next update.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY