logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LOGic forms and windows. How to make the best use of all the tools.
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 4:22:35 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I have recently fielded several emails assisting members with using LOGic. For the benefit of all, restated here is much of the detail of those emails. I always answer all emails, but much prefer my assistance with LOGic be provided on this LOGic forum for the benefit of all members, minimising my effort.

When LOGic closes, LOGic records all the forms and windows that are open within LOGic. That makes life easy when LOGic is re-loaded, everything is there, as you left it.

But, often one wants to perform tasks, that require other forms to be loaded, or others closed so as not interfere with another LOGic process. One might want a different arrangement of forms or windows for Contesting, for QSLing, for DXing, for log updates after contesting with N1MM, or after Digital DXing with HRD, etc etc.

LOGic includes the ability to run separate copies, or instances of LOGic. Each instance of LOGic uses the same log, the same Misc Ham setup, but DIFFERENT screen layouts. Each instance remembers the forms and windows in use for that instance of LOGic. Re-start the instance, and all the forms and windows are restored.

We can do all this with the INSTANCE parameter on the LOGic command line. See Help, Appendix, Multiple Instances of LOGic.

The INSTANCE parameter allows multiple copies of the same Visual Foxpro program, LOGic for example, to run under Microsoft's Visual Foxpro system - all at the same time. Visual Foxpro can then co-ordinate the log updates that might occur. This allows your log, the prefix tables etc etc to be shared between the running instances of Logic. The downside is that some "physical devices" cannot be shared - a serial port to your rig, cannot be shared because the under lying operating system manages exclusive use for just ONE program at a time. Printers are shared by the underlying operating system and available in all instances of LOGic.

But, one does not have to run the "instances" of LOGic at the same time. We are free to run them as "alternatives" - as "alternatives" all facilities are available to the running instance of LOGic.

Append the text " INSTANCE=QSLing" to a shortcut to the LOGic program, and, when you start it, an instance of LOGic will be created with the specific identifier, and allow a different arrangement of log forms - ones used specifically for QSLing. All the carefully arranged forms for actual on-the-air operating will be untouched.

How does one create a shortcut to LOGic? There are lots of ways, but we need to think how we might use the shortcuts and especially, how we know which instance is which when we go to start LOGic. If we are not careful all the shortcuts will look the same.

I suggest the following ...

Create a new folder or directory somewhere, create the shortcuts, add the instance parameter(s) to the LOGic executable, and create a new Toolbar to appear on the Taskbar. All the shortcuts, one for each instance, each functional use of LOGic, will appear in the Toolbar and be easily accessible. Like this ...

LOGic Instances Toolbar

For those needing a hand to do all that, I suggest creating the folder on the Desktop. Why, will become clear. Simply expose the Desktop, that is, right click on the Taskbar, and click Show Desktop. Right click in an open area of the Desktop, and create a NEW folder - call it LOGic9.

Now to create the shortcut to LOGic. Click on the Start menu, open the LOGic menu, point at the LOGic shortcut, right click, and click "Send To, Desktop (as shortcut)". Back on the Desktop, point at the LOGic shortcut and drag it to the LOGic folder you created earlier. Double click the folder, and Windows Explorer will open in that folder.

Point at the shortcut, and make several copies of the shortcut, one for each instance you may need, and a few spare.

To make all the shortcuts available - add a Toolbar to the Taskbar. Point at an open area of the Taskbar, right click, Unlock the Taskbar. Repeat and click Toolbars, New Toolbar - navigate to the Desktop and select the folder you created earlier. Click and drag the end of the Logic9 toolbar to the right so that only the name and the "corporals strips" can be seen. Right click on the Taskbar and Lock the Taskbar.

To update the shortcut with the instance parameter, click the "corporals strips" for the LOGic toolbar, point at, and right click on one of the shortcuts, click on Properties. Add the " INSTANCE=XXXX" to the Target, and update the name on the General Tab, co-ordinate the name with the instance ID. Click OK.

To use a shortcut, click the "corporals stripes" for the LOGic9 Toolbar, and click on the shortcut to the instance of LOGic you wish to use. Change the form layout and Windows of each instance of LOGic as you see fit. The instance ID appears at the top left of the LOGic Window.

Instance ID

If you need help creating the shortcuts just ask. After you have updated one or two, it is not such a daunting task.

Good DXing.

Peter VK4IU

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:22:59 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I normally use the instance parameters as "alternates" - QSLing mostly, to use my special LOG forms to add all the award values from QSL cards to the my log for tracking my operating progress, and for data analysis, checking that all the data seems correct - no broken QSOs.

Today, I loaded INSTANCE=QSLing in parallel to my normal INSTANCE=LOGing.

Be aware that the LOGic SAFETY file, see Tools, Setup, Misc Ham setup, is not shared. The first LOGic instance to start, will open the file exclusively.

So if you want to do things in parallel - start the instance whose updates are most important first. The Log will be updated by all instances, but only the first will be writing to the "safety file" as an audit trail - in "case of emergency" - so to speak.

Personally, I have always used the safety log, but, after 20 years, I have never ever had the need to use it.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.