logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

CWR & Bandmap
YS1GR
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:04:48 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi Dennis, I am using Logic 9 with a Elecraft K2. On 15M & up I use CWR. When I click on a spot on the bandmap to set the rig freq. the radio mode changes from CWR to CW. This happens with either Logic or TRX-Manager selected as the radio control software. Does this have anything to do with CWR not being listed as a mode in Logic's window display? It's not a big deal but hopefully you can address this in a future update.

73 de Gary YS1GR
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:19:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Well, the radio interface in LOGic supports CwR.

So just make sure that you hav CWR in tools/setup/modes, then set the band table to default to CWR instead of CW for the appropriate band segments.

Curious, why do you use CWR at all? On the Elecraft, is CWR upper sideband? Normal is lower so as you tune down the pitch decreases. The only reason I can think to deviate from this is to possibly eliminate QRM.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
YS1GR
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 10:37:18 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis, I did as you suggested, CWR is listed in the mode setup and I changed 15M, 12M, and 10M to CWR in the band table. Still no differance when I click on a spot, the mode changes to CW. The only differance is that CWR is listed as the mode on the log form. The K2 is unique because it flips the BFO on 15M and up. On 14M and lower if I tune down in freq. the pitch decreases. On 15M and up if I use CW the pitch increases as I tune down in freq. So I use CWR on 15M & up and everything is normal, the pitch decrease as I tune down. Do you have any other ideas?
73, Gary YS1GR
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 8:19:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I'll look into my code and see what is going on....

Thanks,

DH
YS1GR
#5 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2012 11:01:57 AM(UTC)

Thank you Dennis. N1MM Contest Logger had the same situation when clicking on to a spot on the bandmap. Thier work around was to provide a "Use CWR" checkbox in the setup menu. When checked CWR is always selected as the mode and when unchecked CW is always selected. I just have to remember to either check or uncheck the box when changing bands.

73 Gary YS1GR
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:54:07 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I'm not seeing a problem with the spot log sending CWR to the radio. Your Actual Mode column DOES have CWR in it, correct?

Does the CWR button for the K3 work? Maybe we have a problem with the K3 interface.

Tnx/73,

Dennis
YS1GR
#7 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 9:36:17 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis, thanks for looking at your code. The radio is the K2 and the mode column in both the spot form and log form show CWR. You may be on to something when you mentioned a problem with the interface. The Logic window for K2 operating controls does not show a button for CWR, only buttons for CW and CWN. When I click on the log button in the spot window Logic does log it as CWR and does not change the mode. It is only when I click on the spot button on the bandmap or click on a spot on the spot form does the mode change from CWR to CW.

Gary YS1GR
YS1GR
#8 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 11:45:32 AM(UTC)

I did some experimenting Dennis and got it to work kind of correctly. The problem is in the K2 interface code with the CWN mode selection. The K2 does not have a CWN mode and clicking on the CWN button changes the rig mode to CWR. I changed my mode selection in the Bandmap set up from CWR to CWN on 15M & up. Now when I click on a spot the radio stays in the CWR mode on 15M and up. The bandmap displays the mode as CWN though and the contact gets logged as CWN. Can you take a look at your code and figure out a solution?

73 de Gary YS1GR
YS1GR
#9 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 5:47:31 PM(UTC)

I did some more experimenting Dennis. The CWN button on Logic 9 will only change the mode to CWR when Logic 9 is interfaced directly to the rig. If I interface Logic 9 via TRX-Manager CWN has no effect on the rig mode selection; but I can select CWR via TRX-Manager. It seems to me that the CWN mode button on Logic 9's
K2 window needs to be eliminated and a CWR button added. The CWR mode button would also have to be integrated with TRX-Manager. Hopefully this makes sense.
Gary YS1GR
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:10:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I think you are using the wrong driver. The K3 DEFINITELY has a Cr button, and no Cn button. Check that you have the latest version of LOGic (9.0.44), and are using the K3 interface, which is #55 (rightmost column in the dropdown).

Tnx & 73,

DH
File Attachment(s):
Capture.JPG (20kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
YS1GR
#11 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 10:30:09 AM(UTC)

Dennis It is the K2 not the K3.
Gary YS1GR
File Attachment(s):
K2.jpg (162kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
YS1GR
#12 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 11:20:46 AM(UTC)

I sent a screen capture of the Logic 9 K2 controls to you via the PDA office. I couldn't figure out how to attach a jpg. here. Have a good weekend Dennis.

Gary YS1GR
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 4:47:27 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I confused K2 & K3 in my mind. Sorry. WHich driver are you using? The legacy Kenwood driver, or one of the new Kenwood drivers?

We'll make a K2 driver if necessary. First, try the K3 and let me know if it works at all, and what changes would be needed to that to make a K2 driver. Nothing I'm hoping hihi.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
YS1GR
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:25:56 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis, I am using the Logic 9 K2 (Legacy) driver. For the most part it works pretty good. I run other software, notably
CW Skimmer and the NaP3 panadapter software via a LP-Pan. I use LP-Bridge 2 as a virtual serial port splitter to get the software to comunicate with each other. I took your advice and tried the Logic 9 K3 driver and the Kenwood driver and here is what I found out. I did all of my testing with the Logic 9 serial port conected directly to the K2 and also using LP-Bridge.
I'll start out with the Logic 9 K2 (Legacy) driver, what functions works and what doesn't work.
A) The function buttons VFO B, A=B, and Split do not work at all. The CWN button changes the mode to CWR but it is entered
into the log as CWN.
B) All other functions work fine, with Logic connected directly to the K2 or via the LP-Bridge 2 serial splitter.
I tried the K3 and the Kenwood drivers with the serial port connected to the rig. All functions worked fine, everything looked great untill I used Logic 9 thru the LP-Bridge 2. The freq. display in Logic 9 would go haywire every time LP-Bridge would poll the K2. That dosen't happen when I use the Logic 9 K2 driver. I played around with all available settings and even tried loading VSPE to see if it made a differance to no avail.

That basiclly leaves 3 choices:
A) Take the Logic 9 K2(Legacy) driver and get the various functions working.
B) Take the Logic 9 K3 driver and configure the polling so that it matchs the Logic K2 driver and label that as a new K2
driver.
C) Do nothing. The Logic 9 K2 driver works pretty good, it doesn't matter if a contact is logged as CWR or CWN. Logic 9
converts both to CW in the ADIF form. The fact that the Split, VFO B, and A=B do not work doesn't really affect me as those
controls are available in the NaP3 software. Logic 9 is still the best logging software, I didn't discover these minnor
short comings till I started pushing it to the limits.

73, Gary, YS1GR
WN4AZY
#15 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 9:37:06 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Strange, I don't know what there would be different in the Legacy K2 driver (just Kenwood actually) and the K3 driver that would cause LP Pan/LP Bridge not to work. Sorry, I don't know enough about what these devices do to and how they are connected and interact with each other to talk intelligently about them. It does seem reasonable that they should be transparent to the radio software, and they are not, so I would call them and ask if they have updated drivers or anything. Or if they could tell me why LOGic isn't working....

Also, virtual COM ports can be problematic. I have found N8VZ to be unstable. com0com worked fine for sharing a GPS the last time I tried it.

There is another option actually -- LOGic 9 supports OmniRig. It is MADE for sharing the rig between programs, and is a much cleaner soluion than virtual COM ports. The feature set is rather limited, and would not be satisfactory for TRX-Manager and remote operation (although TRX-Manager supports it also), but for logging with LOGic it may be more than adequate. Another neat thing about it is that you can change the commands sent to the rig, so if it doesn't work....

http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

Tnx & 73,

DH
YS1GR
#16 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 10:15:02 AM(UTC)

Good morning Dennis, I've decided to keep on using Logic 9 with the K2 driver and not worry about it. For awards purposes modes CWR & CWN are converted to CW and that is all which matters. I appreciate all the effort which you have put into the software.

73 & Good DX
Gary YS1GR