logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Logging a QSO working split
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2026 12:19:52 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Posts: 621
Location: Mentor, OH

Thanks: 151 times
Was thanked: 238 time(s) in 214 post(s)
I've been using LOGic for many many years and didnt really think hard on this except for maybe a couple years ago.

So when you log a split freq QSO, LOGic logs the transmit freq in Freq_tx and the Receive Frequency in Freq. The problem is when you export the log for a contest the Freq field for split QSO's is the receive frequency, not the transmit frequency. I recall several years ago where I was working quite a few stations split and losing QSO's points for being out-of-band. It was after the fact so I just didnt think about it anymore. But this also occurs when youre exporting the log for any reason. The exported logfile has the Freq_Tx field populated with the Tx frequency and the Rx frequency is whats in the Freq field. Whatever other app your trying to import into gets the same incorrect Tx frequency for any split QSO.

I believe the Freq field should always be the transmit frequency if split and the receive frequency should be in Freq_Rx not Freq Tx. The adif standard seems to support this as well noting that if working split the adif field Freq-Rx is where the receive frequency gets logged while the adif field Freq is where the transmit frequency gets logged. Is there a way to switch Freq_Tx to Freq_Rx when logging Split ?? I suppose I could do a mass change and swap Freq and Freq_Tx if Freq_Tx is not empty but going forward I want all Tx freq to be logged to Freq and the split freq logged to Freq_Rx.

I suppose its possible if working split to "remember" to make VFO B the active VFO then VFO A would get read for Freq_Tx, then change the adif field Freq_Tx to Freq_Rx so it exports correctly. The exported contest log would be correct without doing anything, of course as long as I remember to change focus from VFO A to VFO B. Not easy when contesting. Is there any way to embed this into the contest logform setup, maybe add a toggle to select swap VFO A to B if split and write VFO A to Freq_Rx ??

Looking for some kind of solution before CQWW.

Thanks for any help, Brad K8ZM
2 users thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
W5GA on 10/2/2026(UTC), WN4AZY on 10/5/2026(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
W5GA
#2 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2026 7:37:05 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Posts: 471
Location: Missouri

Thanks: 102 times
Was thanked: 159 time(s) in 141 post(s)
Hi Brad, hope you're doing well. Just a thought about this - I think this would be a good thing. Just remember that you'll have to pay close attention to how you set your vfo's to do the split, and if you have any XIT offset, or it won't work.
73 Doug W5GA
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2026 8:53:06 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered
Posts: 621
Location: Mentor, OH

Thanks: 151 times
Was thanked: 238 time(s) in 214 post(s)
Hi Doug, hope your all doing good as well !!

Yes, but, having to remember is the underlying issue...hihi ! Nothing to "remember" if when in SPLIT LOGic reads Freq=VFO B instead of VFO A. When contesting you dont have time to "remember", you're focused on Q's and Mult's !!

Probably most users dont contest with LOGic and use a contest Logger like N1MM. I wonder how anyone that uses a contest logger imports that log into LOGic. Does the logger export Freq and Freq_Rx, if so what happens with Freq_Rx ? Do they map it to Freq_Tx ? Maybe nobody cares if its split as long as Freq is the Tx Freq !!

For now I'll "remember" to set focus on VFO B if SPLIT, and back to A if not SPLIT.

Gonna work The Oceania DX Contest this weekend so a chance to test my memory out...hi hi !!

73, Brad K8ZM
N5XZ
#4 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2026 10:32:59 AM(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers
Posts: 494
Location: Richmond, TX

Thanks: 44 times
Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: K8ZM Go to Quoted Post
Hi Doug, hope your all doing good as well !!

Yes, but, having to remember is the underlying issue...hihi ! Nothing to "remember" if when in SPLIT LOGic reads Freq=VFO B instead of VFO A. When contesting you dont have time to "remember", you're focused on Q's and Mult's !!

Probably most users dont contest with LOGic and use a contest Logger like N1MM. I wonder how anyone that uses a contest logger imports that log into LOGic. Does the logger export Freq and Freq_Rx, if so what happens with Freq_Rx ? Do they map it to Freq_Tx ? Maybe nobody cares if its split as long as Freq is the Tx Freq !!

For now I'll "remember" to set focus on VFO B if SPLIT, and back to A if not SPLIT.

Gonna work The Oceania DX Contest this weekend so a chance to test my memory out...hi hi !!

73, Brad K8ZM


I use N1MM+ almost exclusively for contesting, but mostly CW. Not so much SSB. I never thought about what you're discussing here. Someday I'll have to check...
73, Allen N5XZ
1 user thanked N5XZ for this useful post.
K8ZM on 10/2/2026(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 1.9.5.5 | YAF © 2003-2011, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.036 seconds.