logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Error updating to Logic 10, now Logic won't run at all
ke4uw
#1 Posted : Monday, September 6, 2021 10:52:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I attempted to update to Logic 10 this evening. While running the update from Logic Help, I got an error stating that a file could not be opened. One of the options provided was to cancel the update, and I chose that option. The update was terminated. However, when I tried to run logic again (Logic 9, presumably), I now get an error from Microsoft Visual FoxPro saying "Cannot locate the Microsoft Visual FoxPro support library." When I click on OK, the message clears, but Logic does not start. Tried again, same result.

Any suggestions?

Dave KE4UW
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 8:12:55 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi--

Sorry for the problem.

Did you see the exact file that could not be opened, and was there any message as to why not? It was probably the new VFP Support Library.

I would reboot and try it again. Download and retain the file. Exit LOGic then run the update.

I also put up the new 10.0.1. I added a file that could potentially be missing from Windows. Don't think that is your problem as LOGic 9 used it too, but something else to try.

Let me know.

I'll be around a little while yet. Call 770-307-1496 and leave a message. I'll call back.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
ke4uw
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 7:52:33 PM(UTC)

I don't recall what the file name was that caused the error. I'm not sure if it couldn't open it, or maybe couldn't delete it. It didn't seem important because I thought the "cancel" operation would leave me back where I was before the update started.

In any case, now the error says Visual FoxPro can't find the Visual FoxPro support library, and since I can't get past this error and run logic, I can't duplicate the original scenario.

I have the Logic install file I got when I updated the subscription in June. Should I run that? Or is there someplace I need to save some Visual FoxPro files? Seems odd they aren't there, as Logic ran just fine until I tried the update to Logic 10.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions.

Dave KE4UW
ke4uw
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 11, 2021 8:13:37 PM(UTC)

BTW, I have rebooted a couple times now, and that didn't change anything.

I don't quite understand what you were suggesting when you said "Download and retain the file. Exit Logic and then run the update." I'm not sure what file I should download and retain, or where I should download it from. Also, the update is run from logic, so I'm not sure what you mean by exit logic and run the update. (I'm assuming there may be an option to download the update file from the update screen reached through the Logic Help menu, but since I can't run logic at all, I can't get there.)

Will I complicate things further if I go back to the June 2021 install file you sent me when I re-subscribed in June, and run that to reinstall?

Dave KE4UW

WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2021 7:29:45 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

I wouldn't go back to June. Worst case, put in the latest LOGic 9 update.

Quote:
I don't quite understand what you were suggesting when you said "Download and retain the file. Exit Logic and then run the update." I'm not sure what file I should download and retain, or where I should download it from. Also, the update is run from logic, so I'm not sure what you mean by exit logic and run the update.
Right, the update is normally run from within LOGic. But since LOGic won't run, you want to just download the update file and run it by double-clicking it. Like you used to have to update LOGic before the updates were built-in.

So, since you can't run LOGic, go to the Windows Start menu and look for the LOGic Updater under LOGic. There is a checkbox in the lower righthand corner of the updater that says RETAIN FILE AFTER INSTALLATION. Checkmark it. Now download 10.0.1 and 9.21.4. When the updates start to run, just Cancel. There will be two files on your Windows desktop named LOGicUpdate_10.0.1.exe and LOGicUpdate_9.21.4.exe

You can double-click the 9.21.4 and it should roll things back to where you were before installing 10.

You can try to reinstall 10 and note the error message. I WOULD TRY DISABLING ANY VIRUS CHECKER before doing this. If it fails, just put 9.21.4 back.

I am out of town but should be back this evening. I will try to call you.
https://www.hosenose.com/remote_support.aspx

Tnx/73,

Dennis WN4AZY
ke4uw
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2021 9:49:32 AM(UTC)

I was able to run the updater and install version 9.21.4 and it runs OK.

I tried again to install Logic 10 (10.0.1) but again got an error (word file with the error message is attached). The error message says that C:\Program Files(x86)\LOGic\logicserver.exe could not be deleted because it is being used by another process.

Last week when I got this error, I chose the option to cancel the update, and that resulted in Logic no longer starting. This time I chose the option to skip the file, which probably needs to be corrected at some point, but version 10.0.1 seems to be working (without having saved the new logicserver.exe). (Both times I tried the "try again" option but I just got the same error again.)

So, some progress, but I don't think the problem is fully resolved.

Dave KE4UW
File Attachment(s):
Logic error.png (798kb) downloaded 39 time(s).
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2021 2:30:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
The error message says that C:\Program Files(x86)\LOGic\logicserver.exe could not be deleted because it is being used by another process.
Ok, excellent, that explains everything.

LOGicserver.exe is a background process that allows LOGic other programs to control LOGic. It is used by TRX-Manager, and a few users have written their own programs to control LOGic. It is supposed to quit when you exit LOGic, but apparently it did not.

It should be either updated or deleted.

So, go into tools/setup/misc ham setup and uncheck OLE COM SERVER. Exit LOGic, and reboot or go into the task manager and kill logicserver.exe. Now, go in the c:\program files (x86)\LOGic folder and manually delete logicserver.exe if it is there. This will insure it is not running and will be updated in the future. (BTW, if it is missing, LOGic will still run. It will figure out it is missing and not try to start it.)

Unless you are using TRX-Manager, just leave OLE COM SERVER off. That has been the default setting for a while now. A new LOGicserver.exe will be installed next time you update. But it will no longer start.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
ke4uw
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 12, 2021 6:38:53 PM(UTC)

Thanks Dennis. I've done what you recommended and all seems to be OK now. I also re-ran the update to LOGic 10.0.1 and it ran with no errors.

So I believe I'm all set. Thanks so much for the help!

Dave KE4UW
1 user thanked ke4uw for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 9/12/2021(UTC)
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Monday, September 13, 2021 2:42:36 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

You are most welcome! Sorry for the problem.