logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LOTWRDATE & LOTWSDATE
IK0CHU
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 10:45:23 AM(UTC)
RedBaron

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 75 post(s)

Hello,
I wanted to ask Dennis, or who can answer me with certainty, if the 38 characters used for LOTW dates occupy spaces in the 255 character record that can be used for each QSO.
Also what benefit does this type of registration bring to the use of the program?
Thank you
IKØCHU Mauro
IKØCHU Mauro
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K8ZM
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 1:46:33 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Hi Mauro, hope you are well !!

If your a user of LoTW, LOTWRDATE and LOTWSDATE consume 38 characters in USERFIELDS and so would have an impact on it's total character limit of 255. They can be disabled in Tools/Setup/Logfields if they provide no benefit.

The USERFIELDS character limit of 255 does fill up quickly depending on how many you have set-up and enabled, the majority of my QSO's approach 200 characters, many are at 230 characters, so I need to watch the limit and weigh the benefit of all those fields I'm capturing. LOTWRDATE has been a huge benefit to me with sorting out discrepancies in LoTW, LOTWSDATE is too new. Of course every user will have a differing opinion but all have the option to disable one or both of them if desired.

73 de Brad, N8GLS

2 users thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/5/2020(UTC), IK0CHU on 8/6/2020(UTC)
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2020 7:50:23 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Oops, I forgot to look at the logfields table to see if LOTWSDATE is enabled before updating it. Will fix.
IK0CHU
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 2:27:22 PM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Hi Brad,
here everything is fine thanks and I hope for you too.
Thanks for the answer I imagined. In fact there are too many characters busy and I can't understand which application can be done. As far as I'm concerned, LOTW works perfectly and I don't need to check anything. I wanted to ask how to disable this automatic function and you anticipated me and thank you. Did I remove the flag on enable? into Logfields so my Logic will no longer use this automation, freeing up useful spaces in the 255-character record.
Is there a safe system also to delete LAT and LON data from the archive ??? There is a .PRG that can do this in the whole archive.
With gratitude for the support.
73's de IKØCHU Mauro
IKØCHU Mauro
K8ZM
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 4:14:32 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Thanks Mauro !

Glad you disabled both LOTWRDATE and LOTWSDATE to save precious space in USERFIELDS. I think we all in the past asked Dennis if USERFIELDS limit of 255 could be increased but is sadly I think a limitation of the software and can't be changed.

I don't know about LAT and LON in LOGic so I assume they are userfields you set up. If they are, you should be able to use Mass change to clear them, I think you would need to use REPLACE but not sure of the correct syntax. If your not sure of the syntax then Dennis will have to comment as to the best safe method to use.

Stay Safe Mauro !!

73 de Brad, N8GLS

Just noticed above that Dennis I think is making a change in LOGic to check if LOTWSDATE is enabled before importing the date. I guess if LOTWSDATE is disabled and you download QSL's from LoTW LOGic may generate errors. Maybe best to wait for the next version before disabling it.

Brad
IK0CHU
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 4:37:43 PM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Hi Brad,
also I a long time ago I asked Dennis if it was possible to increase the 255 characters but he replied that 255 is the maximum limit imposed by the programming language. The number of fields allowed in the entry forms are also limited. I got over this by making forms for each DXCC that has a lot of awards to handle. In this way I can manage many awards but occupying the 255 characters only with the data necessary for that DXCC. I am very happy and by now I'm used to this log management.
I still have to solve a few things that I will shortly expose to Dennis if he can advise me on how to manage what I would like to do.
For LAT and LON it is not possible with the Mass Change function because there are so many variables. I think you need a .prog that eliminates, for example, all the strings | LAT: 12,20 etc freeing up other characters. I'm bringing this data back from Logic8. For now I take them off by hand if I happen to find them on the record.
Hello and 73's Mauro IKØCHU
IKØCHU Mauro
K8ZM
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 5:02:12 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Ok Mauro,

I posted at the same time you did....hi hi!

You have certainly been able to perform miracles in LOGic making all that you have somehow work !!

I think you could REPLACE "|Lat " "," "" with "" or something similar and it would take all the variable entries. I could be wrong but seems to make sense. Dennis may need to chime in !!

73, de Brad
IK0CHU
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:12:15 PM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Hi Brad,
I don't think your syntax can work. The use of quotes in this case indicates only two spaces and not two variable numerical values. Here it needs the "hand of the boss" hihi
I like to use Logic as a tool to better manage an office with dynamism. The only difference is that there is no user and the best results have to satisfy myself. I try and enjoy spending time with it, considering that I don't understand much about programming. Perhaps more correct to say that I like to analyze the problem to be able to solve it perhaps in a theoretical way, hoping that Dennis can evaluate the question useful for all users of Logic.

IKØCHU Mauro
IKØCHU Mauro
1 user thanked IK0CHU for this useful post.
K8ZM on 8/6/2020(UTC)
IK0CHU
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 6:17:33 PM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Goodnight Brad,
here is very late and it's time to go to sleep. See you soon reread. Link down.
Byezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mauro
IKØCHU Mauro
1 user thanked IK0CHU for this useful post.
K8ZM on 8/6/2020(UTC)
IK0CHU
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 5:17:47 PM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Hi Brad,
I inform you that remove the flag on Enable? and removing the flags on import and export adif both on LOTWSDATE and LOTWRDATE does not affect the recording of the dates in the qsos record. The dates are placed the same.
So I would ask Dennis to prepare, if possible, an ON / OFF setting in order to activate or eliminate this function which I find very invasive on the 255 characters. I would also like to know what use can be made of these dates in managing the logbook.
Thanks for any feedback.
73's de IKØCHU Mauro
IKØCHU Mauro