logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Win 10 Event Error
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 10:28:23 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
LOGic v9.20.6
Win 10 Home (x64), v2004

Noticed in the event log that I have several event ID 1000:

Faulting application name: LOGic.exe, version: 9.20.6.0, time stamp: 0x47139f24
Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.329, time stamp: 0xa546dbd1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00071f24
Faulting process id: 0x2cb0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d63f14e64c4ff0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic\LOGic.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\combase.dll
Report Id: a79494fd-d587-47be-a4ab-ad22813a0678
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This error appears to have started June 4th, this was after a major Windows update 31 May from version 1909 to 2004. That update was successful but did result in a noticeably slower system, LOGic is now very "sluggish", even simple tasks like doing an awards update seems to hang for more than a few seconds at 95% through the log. Callbook lookups lag, and logging from WSJT-X is very slow for LOGic to get the data read into the log. I found the event error after starting to investigate what is going on with the sluggish performance. Snip-it from the event log attached.

Thanks for any help,

73 de Brad, N8GLS
File Attachment(s):
Event 1000 error-20200610.jpg (78kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 10:15:54 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Brad:

You aren't seeing any error in LOGic. It is just slow?

Try turning off the WSJT-X to see if that is a factor. I'll do some looking around here.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 1:21:27 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Hi Dennis,

Hope your all well !!

Right, LOGic isn't throwing any errors. Slow or sluggish but actually more like a "stutter". I saw the error in the event log and wondered if that was somehow propagating to deeper issues. Curious what combase.dll is but most likely not the cause.

I do run multiple instances of several apps, (2) WSJT-X, (3) WIn4IcomSuite, (1) GridTracker, (1) LOGic. All the other apps dont show any sluggishness, my CPU runs on average 40% usage, the largest consumer is Win4IcomSuite at about 7-10% each instance, WSJT-X consumes maybe 5% max, likewise for LOGic. LOGic does seem to spike when the spotlog or bandmap is downloading. Actually when LOGic loads it never finishes displaying LOGics desktop until after the spotlog and bandmap have finished loading. When logging, the qso "hangs" until after the spotlog/bandmap refreshes and then shows in the log, its maybe a one or two second delay but always after a spotlog/bandmap refresh. The most consistent effect is when trying to scroll the logs browser window, if you spin the mousewheel it scrolls maybe 5 or so lines then freezes for a split second then jumps ahead a thousand or more entries, like not having smooth scroll at all and jumping from the end of the log to two thousand lines into it. The scroll acts like it's "interrupted" by the spotlog/bandmap refresh and in fact the scroll continues the instant they have refreshed.

Update: This morning thinking about this, the sluggishness or "stutter" is not random, its consistent to the point of being timed, that made me think of rig polling. I have polling set pretty high at 0.1 seconds so made sense the "stuttered" response is actually an interrupt at the polling interval. Disabled all the rigs and like magic, no more "stutter". Log browser window smooth scrolls from the last to the first log entry (10,608 lines...ha) with zero interrupts. Matter of fact there is no more delayed response in any task within LOGic. I export an adif file of the entire log at the end of the day and it used to hang for 5 seconds or more but with the rigs disabled its instantaneous.

The sluggishness seemed to start last year while I was working the ARRL DX and CQWW contests, LOGic was slow to log the QSO and was getting to the point of almost not keeping up. I attributed it to maybe my log growing in size and/or the cumulative windows updates and my somewhat old PC. I'll play around with the polling interval to see if I can find some happy medium.

is there anything else to try to eliminate the issue with polling ?? Seems like its progressively worse as it now appears to affect most every task. I'll report back what I find with changing the interval.

Thanks,
Brad
K8ZM
#4 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 3:34:20 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Update:

Polling is the cause of the "stutter" or interrupts. Actually I found with polling on it was causing WSJT-X to miss decode cycles, I had posted on their forum an issue with missing decodes and that I seemed to be having issues with stronger stations and an unusually high number of retires needed for every strong signal attempted qso. With polling off and after several hours of decoding I have not missed a single decode cycle. Also, with polling off the difference in LOGic's performance is astounding, every task is now lightening quick with zero hesitation or "stutter", nothing hangs, its like having a new PC with clean installed software, or like having a Cray....Ha !!

Tried polling at a bunch of intervals but still causes the stutter/interrupt so just turned polling off.

Brad
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 6/17/2020(UTC)
K8ZM
#5 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 1:55:21 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

FINALLY it looks like the 6th attempt at a new PC may be successful !!

Anyways, running Win 10 Pro x64 and am getting the annoying pop-ups from User Account Control that LOGic has no publisher and do I want to run it....is there any way to stop this !! It's been too many years since I last ran Pro but remember now UAC was a nagging P-I-T-A.

Just got the last of the critical software installed tonight, LOGic seems fine and has yet to throw an error in the event log. Will play with polling interval to see what affect this new i7-9700k, 3.6 GHz machine has. CPU is faster and twice the number of cores but am thinking I'll see only a marginal 30% improvement.....we'll see !!

Brad, N8GLS
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 5:07:25 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Sure. Just turn off UAC. It is a pain and complains about everything, even some Microsoft programs.

Type {Win-S} then UAC

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

K8ZM
#7 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2020 8:02:41 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Will probably do that. Still evaluating this new PC, its more of a pain than UAC !!

Brad