logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
LOGic 9 and Microham Digikeyer II
K1VC
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 7:51:51 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Has anyone on this forum been successful integrating LOGic9 with ANY digital mode application (DM-780 without HRD, MMTTY, FLDigi, etc.) and an FT-1000D and a microham digikeyer II? I have LOGic9 and digikeyer working, with some timeout errors that I hope to fix soon.

I was able to use DM-780 with my FT-1000D and a Singalink USB without a problem. I was trying to consolidate some 'boxes' on my operating desk to make some room so I purchased a digikeyer. I have read the digikeyer help guide more than a dozen times for each application.

Thank you,
Vin, 73
K1VC
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WB4YDL
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 3:43:28 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Vin:

MixW works quite well with LOGic 9. I recently sold my Yaesu gear and am now using Elecraft. I use two of them in SO2R contesting with Microham gear, so I am somewhat familiar with the Digikeyer. A friend of mine used one for many years. MixW is somewhat dated and doesn't have all the specialized modes that flDigi has, but it does work. To make them work together, start MixW first and then LOGic 9. In the MAIN Log window, click the LOG menu (it's next to Voice Keyer, Terminal, CW Keyer, et al)and click MixW Interface. Then anything you log in MixW will log in LOGic 9. Omnirig works with both also - it will not work with the number 2 radio in MixW - has to be number 1 radio (only applicable if you are a two radio station).

Dennis has been (slooowwly) getting flDigi and MMTTY integrated into LOGic 9 and that will be a fantastic upgrade. flDigi does NOT work with Omnirig AFAIK - it uses this XML-RPC interface to get other programs to play nice. For now, I just disable CAT on flDigi, get PTT going separately, and log the contact manually. I do the same with MMTTY - just make the QSO and log it. Someday, we'll see it all streamlined and in one package.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
K1VC
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:24:08 PM(UTC)

Hi Jamie,

Thank you very much for that information. I did as you said and MixW is now playing nicely with LOGic9. I kept changing ports in the microham router until I got it to work. I really hope Dennis gets something going soon so many LOGic users don't have to waste time getting 2 applications to play nice together.

I will try to get DM-780 to work now since I have an idea what I did with MixW.

This digikeyer has replaced 4 other pieces of equipment that were taking up space. I like it, just wish it was easier to setup. It might be 90% user error though Confused Blushing

UPDATE: Spoke too soon. I can't get MixW and LOGic9 to be open at the same time. I keep getting time out errors from LOGic as soon as I use MixW. I should be able to have multiple applications open but no matter what port I assign LOGic, it times out as soon as I use the other application.

I hope Dennis integrates a digital mode app in LOGic soon.

Thank you,
Vin, 73
K1VC
N5XZ
#4 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 8:55:29 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
I have been using my microHAM microKeyer II with a K3 and MMTTY for RTTY with no problems. The WinKeyer works fine, too.

I am still experiencing occasional program crashes when I move the VFO (A or B) which NEVER happens with N1MM+. Wonder what they are doing differently that makes it so solid, while LOGic continues it occasional crashes???

I (we) have been waiting for YEARS for Dennis to fulfill his promise to integrate MMTTY or flDigi into LOGic. I am considering exploring other software.
73, Allen N5XZ
K1VC
#5 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 9:03:25 AM(UTC)

I know what you mean Allen. I downloaded a few demo software applications over the weekend that have digital mode apps integrated.

The timeouts and error messages are beginning to take up a lot of my time and I'm spending less time enjoying the hobby and more time troubleshooting.

Allen: Is your email address in qrz.com good? I'd like to ask you a few questions about the keyer, if you have time.

Vin, 73
K1VC
N5XZ
#7 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 9:36:54 AM(UTC)

Yes, n5xz (at) arrl.net.

(Edited by DH -- we don't want email addresses posted here -- increases spam hihi.)
73, Allen N5XZ
N5XZ
#6 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 10:16:13 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: K1VC Go to Quoted Post
The timeouts and error messages are beginning to take up a lot of my time and I'm spending less time enjoying the hobby and more time troubleshooting.

Vin, 73
K1VC

Yes, there is something inherently wrong in the code. I know of several others who just got tired of it and jumped ship. I don't want to because I have been with LOGic for many years, Dennis has been extremely helpful at times, and I just don't want to go through another learning curve, I don't have time for it. But I have been tempted at times, that's for sure. I am looking closely at DX Labs.
73, Allen N5XZ
K1VC
#8 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 11:35:23 AM(UTC)

I'm in the same situation as you Allen. I've been using LOGic for many years and I've invested too much time into it. The learning curve to learn an entirely new software is too steep. I, too, am looking at DX Labs and HRD as well.

Dennis has helped me out a lot and for me to change at this time would probably take me off the air for quite a while before coming back to the hobby.

By the way, I sent you an email.

Vin, 73
K1VC
W5GA
#9 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 7:25:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I'm using MMTTY, MixW and a MicroKeyer (Not II). All works fine. I have also looked at DX labs, but came to a few conclusions.

1. Dx labs isn't nearly as flexible in its reporting. In fact, not even close.
2. For some things, DX labs is agonizingly slow.
3. For me, the user interface is glunky....but then I've been using Logic since V2 for the Commodore Amiga. Using it that long, it kinda grows on ya.
4. Yes, of late Dennis has been somewhat unresponsive. But with the limited user base, what ya wanna bet this isn't his only gig? I know we all paid for it (and in comparison with a lot of the others out there, paid quite handsomely), but he DOES keep moving things ahead, albeit slowly.
5. His support is second to none.

I really don't want to learn another piece of software. Logic meets my needs, and then some. Especially in its reporting capabilities. Dennis will get there, but he has a family to feed, too.
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 9:59:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
We are working on the K3 problem -- there is another thread with more specifics. I wish I was faster at fixing this, but I am doing my best.

If you don't want to jump ship, (I would appreciate it if you didn't btw), use OmniRig. AFAIK it works fine with the K3, and it works fine with LOGic.
http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

If anyone is unfamiliar with OmniRig, it is a little program that was created to allow multiple programs to access the same rig at the same time. It sits between your logging program and the rig. LOGic and your other logging programs talks to OmniRig, and OmniRig talks to your rig.

Other advantages of OmniRig is that it can be set up for any rig using a text file, so it can be used to interface with rigs in LOGic or whatever that LOGic or whatever does not support.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K1VC
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 10:33:08 AM(UTC)

Dennis,

Will OmniRig fix my multiple timeout error messages?

Thanks,
Vin, 73
K1VC
N5XZ
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:35:11 PM(UTC)

Are there any issues using OmniRig with microHam's virtual com ports?

Is anyone doing this already?

I'll give it a shot.
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 11:42:46 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

OmniRig support was a popular enhancement request, so we have a lot of customers using it. The K3 is listed in OmniRig's list of supported rigs, but I don't specifically know of anyone using it with the K3. Can't speak for Microham, but I don't see how it could be a problem. It will be just a Windows program accessing it's virtual COM ports. It won't see OmniRig any differently than it would see LOGic or any other program.

If the timeout errors are Logic's fault, which appears to be the case, then it will fix it. If you get timeout errors with OmniRig, then the problem lies with the hardware or the rig itself. My guess at this point is that is not the case.

Let us know how it works please. It is easy to set up BTW.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
wa4pgm
#14 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 10:14:02 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
I have OmniRig now running with my K3, microHAM interface, and LOGic 9.0.83 with no errors.

If I close OmniRig and go back to the K3 driver the errors come back.

73 Kyle, WA4PGM

K1VC
#15 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 10:33:04 PM(UTC)

Hi Kyle,

Is there a certain sequence to load OmniRig or it doesn't matter which application is opened first?

Thank you,
Vin, 73
K1VC
wa4pgm
#16 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 10:36:58 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

I'm a first time user Vin so I'm not sure but since I had LOGic running already I setup it for OmniRig and then setup OmniRig. Once OR was setup LOGic recognized the connection.
wa4pgm
#17 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 10:42:31 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

Vin I might have misunderstood your question after reading it again.

Here's my notes:

If LOGic is already running....

go to Tools>Setup>Misc ham setup,rig, TNC...>Radio Ifc - set the Driver to OmniRig Rig 1 or 2 depending upon your setup.

Open OmniRig Client.exe
Click on Open Dialog and select Elecraft K3
Port will be the virtual port used in microHAM to connect the rig
Click OK

In the Top left corner of OmniRig
Rig Type: Elecraft K3

LOGic should be showing the correct freq/mode

Everything should be working now.(?)
K1VC
#18 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2016 10:54:25 PM(UTC)

Thank you Kyle. I followed the same steps as you explained but chose FT-1000 (rig I'm using).

What I have noticed, when running split, and OmniRig running, when working a station in split, LOGic no longer logs the split freq.

For example:
DX transmitting on 24.975
Me transmitting on 24.980

When I hit the (+) to add a contact, LOGic use to log 24.975 in the FREQ field and 24.980 in the FREQ TX field but now, LOGic only logs the FREQ only or it (somehow) flips the 2 frequencies.

Vin
N5XZ
#20 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 8:46:15 AM(UTC)

I will try this also soon. I was too busy in the ARRL DX CW contest this weekend (using N1MM+ Logger) which, by the way, never burped once.

Thanks,
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#19 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:01:35 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: K1VC Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Kyle. I followed the same steps as you explained but chose FT-1000 (rig I'm using).

What I have noticed, when running split, and OmniRig running, when working a station in split, LOGic no longer logs the split freq.

For example:
DX transmitting on 24.975
Me transmitting on 24.980

When I hit the (+) to add a contact, LOGic use to log 24.975 in the FREQ field and 24.980 in the FREQ TX field but now, LOGic only logs the FREQ only or it (somehow) flips the 2 frequencies.

Vin

Hi--

Please try this in N1MM to make sure it isn't the OmniRig setup. Also, try with the rig transmitting on B and receiving on A in both LOGic and N1MM.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY