logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Problem updating to .41
N6KZ
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 3:16:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

I recently paid for an annual subscription, and my renewal date has been extended til September 2020. I received the renewal e-mail, and installed the latest version (.41) from the e-mail link. When the install completes, and I check the "about", it show the correct version and expiration date. However, once I close this version and try to run the program again, it shows the old version (1.6) and an expired renewal date. How do I go about using the latest version?

Thanks,
Jim Zimmerman
N6KZ
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
w2zi
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:55:55 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Try running the updater directly. It gets installed (Windows 7) under LOGic -> LOGic Updater. That should have the correct license expiration. Try re-installing .41 on top of what you have.

732, Don
W2ZI
N6KZ
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 1, 2019 9:47:08 PM(UTC)

I tried running the updater directly, same issue. I noticed that the date of my renewal is September 20, 2019, which is in the future (previous expiration date was September 20, 2016). Could the future date have anything to do with this problem?

Thanks,
Jim Zimmerman
wa4pgm
#4 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 7:11:51 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Some thoughts:

Are there more than one copy installed?
Did you install the update in the same directory as the older version??
Check to make sure the shortcut is pointing at the newest version.
73 Kyle

1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
w2zi on 8/2/2019(UTC)
N6KZ
#5 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2019 4:56:33 PM(UTC)

That's the problem...there is only one directory with the Logic software, and once I exit the install process, there is no updated file anywhere on the PC. I ran the installer directly from the link, and to the same directory. I made sure to check if there was another executable somewhere with the current date, but there is not.
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 2:53:39 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
It sure sounds like you have two copies installed somehow.

Run LOGic as normal (the one not showing the latest update).

Look at help/about and note the FILE NAME after the VERSION.

Now install the update, checkmarking the option to run LOGic (or whatever you do to get it to show the proper .41 version). Note the FILE NAME again. If they are different, you have two installations of LOGic. The FILE NAME, by default, should be c:\Program Files (x86)\LOGic.exe

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

N6KZ
#7 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 6:10:22 PM(UTC)

Dennis,

The file names are the same. I can only find one instance of the executable. It seems that the issue might be with the "future" license date of September 20, 2019. Can you re-send me an installation file with the license date corrected to something less than or equal to today's date?

Thanks.
Jim Zimmerman
N6KZ
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Monday, August 5, 2019 9:57:13 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Let me play with your install file and see what I see. We send them all out with a future date. I'll report back in the morning.

I apologize for the problem.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 8:33:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I can find NOTHING wrong with what we sent you. I installed 9.1.6, then updated using your update file. No problems whatsoever.

Seeing I have been wrong once before so far, I did send you another install with a license issue date of Aug/1 to try, but I doubt it will change anything. Note that the download link is different. You can still download the original update I sent you.

Here's what I would like to try next. Delete logic.license and logic.exe from c:\program files (x86)\logic LOGic should no longer run of course. Wait a few minutes to make sure that they don't magically reappear. Then install one of the updates. That will get back the new logic.license and logic.exe.

My theory is that SOMETHING is protecting your old copy of LOGic.exe (version .1.6). Some sort of automatic backup software, a virus protector, or....? But I have never run into this before in our 30 years of doing this.

You could also temporarily disable any virus protection, Google Drive etc., or use MSCONFIG to do a clean startup. Type {WinKey+R} and type in MSCONFIG
Do a Diagnostic Startup.

I can log in and take a look.
http://www.hosenose.com/remote_support.aspx
Call the office number at the top of the page. If I am out it will forward to my cell phone. If I don't answer, leave a message and I will call you back within 15 minutes or so. We can set up a time that is good for you.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
N6KZ
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:24:01 PM(UTC)

Deleting those two files didn't work. After running the install again, they were not reloaded. I will reach out to you sometime tomorrow to see if you can detect the issue through remote login.

Thanks!
Jim N6KZ
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:05:58 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Sounds good. I'll answer the phone this evening.

Dennis.
N6KZ
#12 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 1:42:41 PM(UTC)

Success! There is a message on your voicemail asking for help, please disregard. I was finally able to drill down in the anti-virus program Comodo to fully trust the Logic program, and was able to install successfully. I hadn't had issues with Comodo previously, so am surprised it was the problem.
1 user thanked N6KZ for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/12/2019(UTC)