logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Migrating Logic9 To A New Machine & Band Table
aa4hp
#1 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 4:44:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

I have been a Logic user since Logic5, and I usually need a new machine every few years for a number of reasons. Typically I install the distribution disk, then the latest update. If I can find them, I drop the tables and forms I know I have modified into the appropriate directories. Most of the time that works fine. What has defied my approach to an installation shortcut is the band table, so it takes a few beers to manually change how I want the band boundaries by mode defined, and how I want spots to be acted on.

Is there a standard approach to migrating a mature configuration to a new machine, and if not, how can I just move the band table?

Thanks,
Hank AA4HP
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:00:53 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Hank:

Here is the "official" guide on moving LOGic to a new computer.
http://www.hosenose.com/...de-to-LOGic.aspx#post13
Long story short, copy the LOGic folder, install the LOGic distribution and the latest update, and have at it.

The band table is in logdata\bandmstr.dbf & logdata\bandmstr.fpt

When transferring tables, do a CLEAN UP INDEXES AND TEMPORARY FILES. If there are any structural changes between versions, this process will hopefully restructure the tables.

Let me know if any questions. Enjoy the new computer.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K1VC
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 29, 2017 3:25:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
My desktop PC that holds LOGic 9 is slowly degrading. Before it dies, I purchased a new laptop. I don't want to migrate all my ham apps over.

If I remove the main drive in my desktop, C drive, where LOGic 9 resides, and place the C drive in an external enclosure, connect it to the new laptop via USB cable, will I still be able to use LOGic9?

Thanks,
Vin

W5GA
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 30, 2017 7:56:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Originally Posted by: K1VC Go to Quoted Post
My desktop PC that holds LOGic 9 is slowly degrading. Before it dies, I purchased a new laptop. I don't want to migrate all my ham apps over.

If I remove the main drive in my desktop, C drive, where LOGic 9 resides, and place the C drive in an external enclosure, connect it to the new laptop via USB cable, will I still be able to use LOGic9?

Thanks,
Vin

Vin, the only way this would work is if you booted from the external drive. Without doing that, all the registry entries that Logic makes are missing.
K1VC
#5 Posted : Monday, May 1, 2017 11:19:10 AM(UTC)

I guess I'll have to migrate LOGic using Dennis' "official" guide on moving LOGic to a new computer.

Thanks !

Vin
K1VC
#6 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 5:25:18 PM(UTC)

After many months of 'wanting' to migrate LOGic9 to a new computer, and never actually doing it, my hard drive crashed and I've lost many months of contacts Crying

I sent the hard drive to a professional data retrieval company, but they are not having any luck because my hard drive is so old.

Lesson is...BACK UP OFTEN !!!!!!!!

My last back up was in early 2017 but since that backup, I have made thousands of contacts. Even if I load LOGic9 on my new laptop, I will have lost several months of QSO's, some that I needed for DXCC.

I have no idea what to do now. Do I start over or load LOGic9 on my new laptop, set it up, import my last backup and go from there?

What happens to my LoTW confirmations? How do I get a new LoTW certificates and what happens to my old LoTW count?

Vin, 73
K1VC
vk4iu
#7 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 6:08:26 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

Unless you made a copy of your LOGic folder, your band table is gone. It is not in the LOGic backup.

Your QSOs are in LOTW/eQSL/Clublog etc up to the last time you uploaded to ARRL/eQSL/Clublog etc. You can download from any of those services the QSOs after your last backup up until your last upload to those services.

It is much too late, but .... a backup after every "logging session"/"QSL session" is a good thing to be doing. A 1 tera byte USB drive is cheap and will hold many thousands of LOGic backups and full copies of the LOGic entire folder. But, remember, USB drives are not failure proof ... make a DVD copy of the entire USB drive once a month. When the USB drive is full, buy another one! Never delete a backup file/files.
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
K1VC
#8 Posted : Friday, February 23, 2018 7:59:18 PM(UTC)

Hi Peter,

What will I lose not having my band table?

I uploaded my log to LoTW the day or two before I lost my hard drive. I 'should' have all my contacts uploaded (fingers crossed).

I have a 4 TB external drive that has my last backup. The laptop has a DVD burner and I have a 50 pack of DVD's Smile

I need to find my last version of LOGic9 and install the latest update.

It's going to be a major project.

Thanks,
Vin, 73
K1VC
vk4iu
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 24, 2018 8:55:25 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

A default band table will be installed with the new copy of LOGic.

Only you know what changes/updates/additions were made to the Band table, you will have to them again.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 2/25/2018(UTC)
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 25, 2018 8:40:06 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I don't think K1VC is actually concerned about his band table -- he just posted to this thread because it was relevant. The default band table will at least allow him to recover and view his log data.

Vin, we recently added an option to LOGic's LoTW import to recover the log. You should be able to get everything that you ever uploaded to LoTW. The data available is sparse, but you will have enough to consider it a legitimate QSO.

It is a simple matter to locate the log data on Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. Not only that, it is an easy way to share data between computers. Just follow the documentation on locating the date elsewhere -- look for Networking and Multiple Databases in help, or here:

http://www.hosenose.com/...ate-a-new-database.aspx

Just locate it at a location covered by OneDrive or whatever. I can put together a little video if anyone is interested.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K1VC
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:19:11 AM(UTC)

....Just locate it at a location covered by OneDrive or whatever. I can put together a little video if anyone is interested.....Yes please. A video would be helpful for me BigGrin

Thank you,
Vin
WN4AZY
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2018 8:57:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Here is a video on locating your data on the cloud for continuous automatic backup.

Pse subscribe to our YouTube channel while you are there, if you haven't already.
https://youtu.be/9EYu0rfCM1w

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
N5XZ
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:00:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Trying to migrate LOGic to a new computer, but not going well.

I tried the method Dennis described by copying the entire LOGic folder to the new computer, then downloaded the latest update and ran that on the new computer. Then I got an error that there was a missing .dll file. So, I found the original LOGic installation CD and installed it. Now, I get the following errors:

1. Error 1924: 'NETFILE is not an object' has occurred in program FILEEXIST, line 17. Attempt to continue? [I click YES]

2. Error 107: 'Operator/operand type mismatch' has occurred in program PDACONFIGXML.INIT line 17. Attempt to continue? [I click YES]

3. Your subscription has expired as of 01/30/13. This updated is dated 03/22/18. [I click OK]

Program terminates.

Please advise...

73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 31, 2018 10:11:25 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

When you install the latest update, what DLL does it say is missing?

Tnx/73,

WN4AZY
N5XZ
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 1, 2018 1:12:25 PM(UTC)

Sorry, Dennis. I don't remember now. I decided to go with Plan B which was to install the CD on top of the copied folder. Now I get the errors above.
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#16 Posted : Monday, April 2, 2018 11:35:17 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

The CD is rather old. There have probably been breaking changes to the CD with respect to new data structures etc.

Do this: Install the latest update on top of the installation that is giving you problems.

If that doesn't work, then do a new fresh install using the latest update. Uninstall everything, delete the LOGic folder, then install the latest update. Copy your logic.license file from your old machine into the new c:\program files (x86)\logic folder. You should now have a working copy of LOGic.

Import or copy your data, screens, etc. as her this post:
http://www.hosenose.com/...es-I-made-to-LOGic.aspx

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
N5XZ
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:11:44 AM(UTC)

Dennis, I'm currently out of town but I will try to log into my computer remotely and try that.
73, Allen N5XZ
N5XZ
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2018 1:30:07 AM(UTC)

Dennis, how do I download the latest LOGic update without doing it through the program? Is there a link?

Also, where is the license file? I copied the LOGIC.LICENSE file but it did not work, dated 2014.
73, Allen N5XZ
WN4AZY
#19 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2018 9:31:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

You can run the updater outside of LOGic. There is an icon under LOGic in the start menu, or type {Windows+S} and type UPDATER.

The license file should be in the same folder where LOGic is installed. One from 2014 would have expired tho. I'll email you a whole new update including the new license file early this afternoon. Just install it, and keep that as your official installation of LOGic.

I put a copy of the latest update at http://distribution.hose.../LOGicUpdate_9.1.33.exe But hopefully you can update from within the program or running UPDATER after you get the email.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY