logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Program stops working when entering a call
N7TB
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 4:09:24 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello All,

I have been able to isolate when I am having a problem. This is with my main computer at home, not my laptop that I discussed in an earlier post. I am running Windows 7 and the latest version of LOGic. I have my Elecraft KX3 interfaced to the program. It displays all the info from my rig correctly. When I am in the main logging window, and have not done anything to the window for 15 minutes or so, then press the plus button and a new contact record is there, as soon as I put in the new call, and press tab, "the program has stopped working" window comes up. The program did that for about 4 QSO's in a row this morning. If I enter a call and after pressing tab and the rest of the call info is not displayed, and I press "contact to log", it will also happen. What is weird is that in both cases, the station information will be displayed briefly, then the program stops working. When I restart it, the station info that was there briefly is not there anymore.

Any ideas as to what is happening? This is happening a lot, and it sort of takes the fun out of using LOGic when I have to restart it after trying to enter every contact.

73's,

Terry, N7TB
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:48:45 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Terry:

Sorry for the problem. What kind of USB=>RS232 adapter are you using if any?

Get the error to happen, then look in the event viewer to get more info on the error.
https://www.youtube.com/...v=uwluv1NmWLw&t=37s

I think polling is supposed to be off.

Let me know. Happy new year & 73,

DH WN4AZY
N7TB
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 11:18:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Hi Terry:

Sorry for the problem. What kind of USB=>RS232 adapter are you using if any?

Get the error to happen, then look in the event viewer to get more info on the error.
https://www.youtube.com/...v=uwluv1NmWLw&t=37s

I think polling is supposed to be off.

Let me know. Happy new year & 73,

DH WN4AZY

Hi Dennis,

Can you tell me what the event viewer is? If I can figure that out, I can get you more information.

You asked about the adapter I am using. I am using the factory supplied RS232 cable supplied by Elecraft that interfaces my KX3 to my computer to run there terminal program and update firmware. It has a 3.5mm plug on one end that connects to my rig and the other end is a USB connecton.

The cable is designated KXUSBa on their order page. Other than that I don't know any of the technical details about it.

Thanks,

Terry
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 9:05:31 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

Watch that video I linked to. It's not very long and explains what the event viewer is and how to run it.

Look in the device manager at the COM port set up by your K3. Look for the driver manufacturer. Hopefully they used FTDI.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#5 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 9:50:39 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Per the Elecraft website, the chipset was Prolific until July 2010 when they switched to FTDI.

73, de Brad, N8GLS

PS Check that polling is set the same way as for the computer that is working. ON I think.
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 10:43:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Excellent on FTDI. Get the the event viewer info per the video and we can take it from there.

Dennis WN4AZY

PS make sure polling is set like the other computer that is working. ON I think.