logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Serial port status - error
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 1:18:53 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Dennis,

The dreaded mscorlib "failed to compare two elements" error is back when I open Tools, Setup, Misc ham setup. Win7 Pro 64bit, LOGic 6.0.61.

A lot has happened on my system - again, mostly with serial ports. It is up to date with MS Update.

It is hard to know where to start, so I started with a clean up of the .NET versions on my system with Microsoft's Tool referenced here and a clean out of all the serial ports.

I cleaned All .Net versions, leaving 4.5 and 4.5.1 only, followed a "repair" of these remaining installed versions. Some software wanted .Net version 4.0, so I installed .Net 4.0 from Microsoft Downloads. A test of LOGic was aborted by the system after causing "buffer overruns". I re-installed Logic 9 "over the top" from CD, and reapplied the 9.0.61 update.

All to get the result - except that the error messages now include more detail.

1 2 3

The error below is from the Tools, Advanced, Serial Port status tool. Does any of this give you any clues I might find useful in fixing my Windows system? ... what class is not registered?. Logic is running fine, apart from my inability to get at Tools, Setup, Misc ham setup

Peter VK4IU

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to compare two elements in the array. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Int16.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Convert.ToInt16(String value)
at PDA.ComPort.PortUsersDisplayForm.<PortUsersDisplayForm_Load>b__0(PortUser i1, PortUser i2)
at System.Array.FunctorComparer`1.Compare(T x, T y)
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.SwapIfGreaterWithItems(T[] keys, IComparer`1 comparer, Int32 a, Int32 b)
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.QuickSort(T[] keys, Int32 left, Int32 right, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.Sort(T[] keys, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Collections.Generic.ArraySortHelper`1.Sort(T[] keys, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Array.Sort[T](T[] array, Int32 index, Int32 length, IComparer`1 comparer)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.Sort(Comparison`1 comparison)
at PDA.ComPort.PortUsersDisplayForm.PortUsersDisplayForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5472 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

PDA.DotNetLoader
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.9
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.DotNetLoader.DLL

PDA.Encryption2
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.50
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/pda.Encryption2.dll

PDA.LOGic.WhereItIs
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.58
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/pda.logic.whereitis.dll

PDA.ComPort
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.102
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/pda.comport.dll

System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5468 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5467 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

Accessibility
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5476 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

PDA.InteropComPortControls
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.InteropComPortControls.DLL

PDA.ComPortControls
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.52
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.ComPortControls.DLL

acclIconComboBox
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.54
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/acclIconComboBox.DLL

PDA.ToolTip
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.44
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/LOGic/assembly/PDA.ToolTip.DLL

Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 7:43:44 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

I have made progress with this.

I started backing out all the serial port configuration in my system.

I was able to repeat the error at will. With no actual serial ports plugged in, LOGic Tools, Advanced, Serial port status works correctly. Plug in any USB serial port - the process crashes as above.

Again, I have been into Device Manager, uninstalling every serial device I can find. I then used Regedit to purge from the registry any and all keys related to serial ports. The is a dangerous thing to be doing - not for the inexperienced or those of faint heart.

Now I am in the position of being able to plug in my FTDI USB devices, and the Nokia phone and LOGic functions correctly.

Clearly one of my serial devices, and/or related serial port software, is "damaging" the Microsoft Registry structures when it is installed/plugged in. In my system there is a lot of scope for that!

These things must have been sent to keep me young.

I shall report back on progress - which may not be until my return from Overseas, early March to late April.

Peter VK4IU
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:20:05 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Peter:

Glad you are making progress. I have had only one other report of MSCORLIB problems, and that may have been from you. So you are the expert BigGrin.

I doubt that the .net libraries are the problem. I have everything from 2.0 and forward installed. It's probably just bad USB=>RS232 drivers.

Was the Nokia not working? Strange. That is not USB to RS-232 is it?

Have a safe and fun trip abroad!

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2014 4:15:25 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

The Nokia is both Bluetooth serial and a USB serial connection. When plugged into a USB port, it appears as two disks in Explorer and an RS232 port in Device Manager. It was working OK, syncing with Outlook with the Nokia suite. But like LOGic, I think it was just one of the things that made MSCORLIB stumple.

I found the change in the detail of the error messages interesting when I cleaned out .NET I too had every version of .NET from 1.1. Now only 4.0, 4.5 and 4.5.1.

Totally agree - my Windows system is the problem - something in the Registry structures with respect to RS232 ports. LOGic is simply the one causing MSCORLIB to stumble over the problem, whatever it is.

Do you know of a registry structures verifier worth the money?

So far I have put back the first set of RemoteRig USB virtual RS232 ports, and the first FTDI RS232 port and all is well - touch wood.

A long way to go, to rebuild my SO2R remote system. I have worn out the Tools, Advanced, serial status menu item already.

Thanks for your efforts with LOGic on my behalf. I will be active on the forum until early March, and be back in late April.

Peter VK4IU
vk4iu
#5 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 7:16:45 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

For those in interested in my progress with serial ports and the problems I have experienced ...

So far I have reconstructed one half of the remote end of my SO2R config based around RemoteRig and Elecraft K3s and K3/0s and a Microham MK2R+.

One RemoteRig box set is operational with the usual four virtual com ports via USB (COM0,COM1,COM2,COMEXTRA) and the physical extension of RemoteRig/COM1 into an FTDI USB serial device as an additional "physical" com port at the remote end.

The FTDI com port is then "split" using Eltima's Serial Splitter into another two virtual serial ports which end in TRX Manager/OmniRig/DXLab.

LOGic interfaces to TRXManager using one of the split virtual ports, and, currently, DXLab commander runs on the other split virtual port. The Logic Winkeyer interfaces to COMEXTRA to the WinKey emulator with the RemoteRig box. Eltima's Serial Port Monitor monitors the data moving through the system.

All is operating successfully for days on end. Logic Tools, Serial port status, reports the com port config without error, and Tools, Setup, Misc ham setup, work as expected.

That's a big relief, and adds to my observation that most problems with Logic are with software and equipment external to LOGic. Nothing to do with LOGic - LOGic is simply the catalyst.

Peter VK4IU