logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

I want to count my QSOs. How do I do that in Logic?
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:01:54 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

This is a question asked very often.

A QSO count is a common facility in many QSO logging programs. It is usually just a "count of records" as the QSOs are entered into whatever database is used by the program.

Logic does not include such a simple QSO count. There is no count of stored records as such.

But, there are many ways to count the QSOs, count records in a table, any time you want.

Logic uses database tables to store data, and each and every table is assocated with a "form" that is used to view the data in those tables. Your QSO log is held in a database table, and each Log form is a mechanism to view your logged QSO data.

On each Log form is a "funnel" icon - a facility to FILTER your log so that you only see what you want to see on the Log form and browse window.

Use Filter to count QSOs

One of the icons in the filter facility allows you to count the records you filter - show how many records will be displayed if you click OK to apply the filter to your Log data.

This is a good way to see your operating progress. If you simply open any Log form, click on the "funnel" icon to open the Filter panel, and click the "COUNT icon, Logic will give you a total QSO count. If you fill in any of the "filter fields", you will see the corresponding count of records that would be "filtered".

One can open several Log forms, and several Filters, one for each log form, and compare your activity, year on year, contest on contest, band by band or any combination that you can dream up using the filter fields and appropriate values.

I personally use the filter facility to analyse my contest activity for the same contest, year on year, and hour by hour through the contest.

After a contest, after I have imported my log from N1MM, I use the filter process as a mechansim to check that I have imported the correct number of records.

When I have processed all the direct QSLs I receive, I use the filter to count the number of cards I need to print. And when I print the QSLs cards, I again use the count in the filter to see that I really will print the correct number of cards.

Even if I have taken a backup of my log, I am always nervous using the Advanced Database commands. But if I have a count of records, and can double check when doing the "mass updates", I feel a lot more comfortable.

Peter VK4IU

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 11/5/2013(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
W7OO
#2 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2013 6:18:29 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

As usual Peter's solution is elegant. If all you are looking for is a total QSO count there is a faster way. Try the following:

Awards
Update Awards

It will count your log entries for you.

Bill
W7OO