logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tabbing to "Time" field problem
W8OI
#1 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 8:39:04 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I recently downloaded LOGic 9.0.58. Now when tabbing field to field to get into the time field, my cursor lands on the "seconds" part of that field instead of on "hours" at the beginning of the field. In other words it lands after the second colon. I have to backspace to make an entry. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2013 1:07:50 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
This "enhancement" is causing it. http://hosenose.com/Foru...sor-Moves.aspx#post2487

I will turn it off for the time field.

Tnx for letting me know.

DH
W8OI
#3 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2013 6:25:04 PM(UTC)

Thanks, Dennis. Do you mean that you will offer a newer version than 9.0.58? How do I get back to normal?

Garry, W8OI
W8OI
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:36:29 PM(UTC)

Dennis, I still can't find how you corrected this problem. I had a terrible time this weekend trying to do a contest and run a net because logging any time other than current time requires backspacing. You said you were going to turn off the instructions that caused this but I can't find any new update. I even tried to install a previous update and it still has the curser landing in the wrong spot when tabbing to the time field. What do I have to do?

Garry, W8OI
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 8:08:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

Sorry, I haven't posted the update yet.

The way to work around it is to click where you want to type with the mouse. Or {Ctrl+A} to select the whole field, then type to replace the whole field. Also {Home} to go to the start, {End} to go to the end. These are standard keystrokes that work elsewhere in LOGic and also other programs BTW.

When contesting, you typically do not enter the time manually.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W8OI
#6 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2013 9:05:49 AM(UTC)

Dennis, I keep both a paper and a computer log. On the nets and in roundtables I typically get behind much of the time in my logging and the extra keystrokes are a pain. Sometimes I forget to do them and I really get behind then. When do you expect the update?

Garry, W8OI
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:18:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

It's there now.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
W8OI
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:31:00 PM(UTC)

Dennis, thanks for trying. I have the new version now. But what I wanted was for the cursor to land in the time fields the way it used to BEFORE you made the changes earlier the summer. Maybe I am the only one who liked it better before. At any rate I guess I will get used it landing somewhere in the seconds area.

Garry, W8OI
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2013 1:03:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, if you aren't logging in real-time, click Log/Real-Time Mode and turn off real time mode. That way no time will be put in the time field when you log a new QSO. When you tab to it, it will then go to the very first position.

Responses to this change have been well-received. I see no downside to it myself. Typically, you want to correct data or add to the end, and there's no reason that being at the start would be better. You are just more likely to overtype something in the heat of battle that you didn't intend to. If you do want to start at the beginning once in a while, it is a single keystroke to get there {Home} goes to the beginning. {Ctrl+A} selects everything in case you want to overwrite the current contents.

I could add an option to control this if you can show me how it would be useful. But I think the non-real-time mode is your ticket.

Tnx & 73,

DH WN4AZY
W8OI
#10 Posted : Monday, September 9, 2013 7:17:36 AM(UTC)

I am aware of the option to choose real-time logging or not and I have turned it off on occasion. But I like to keep real-time logging turned on because it avoids the occasional mistake of accidentally logging the wrong date when GMT and Eastern time are at odds. It also avoids some mistakes of accidentally logging the wrong hour. So I would love to see an option that would let me tab to the first digit (hours) in the time field.

By the way, it now (with your latest version) goes neither to the first nor the last digit of the field. The cursor lands on the next-to-last digit of seconds. I can't see why anybody would want that.

Anyhow, I would appreciate the kind of option you suggested. Thanks.

Garry, W8OI

WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:25:49 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Well, going to next-to-last is correct -- if the field is filled up. Fill up the name or QTH field and it will do the same thing. You can't tab to the end because you would exit the field. That is how the {End} key works in Windows in general, not just LOGic.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W8OI
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:55:58 PM(UTC)

Okay. I surrender. I guess next-to-last is better than first for most LOGic users or I wouldn't be out here on this limb all by myself. I hate it. Even if I turn off real time logging, it turns back on when I leave and re-enter LOGic. Also, only the first QSO in turn-off mode gives me a blank time. All subsequent QSO's repeat the last QSO's time. That does not work well for me. But I give up.

Garry, W8OI
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:51:44 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
Also, only the first QSO in [non-real-time] mode gives me a blank time. All subsequent QSO's repeat the last QSO's time

I noticed that too. I think the reasoning was to save typing the hours, but it makes no sense to do minutes too, or at least the 4th-place minute. I guess you COULD have two or three QSOs in the same minute if contesting, but most contesters would not be logging manually.

I think I'll just carry the hours forward. It would then jump to the first minutes digit when you tab to it. That would be sweet, huh?
W8OI
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:08:35 AM(UTC)

Dennis, don't waste your time on that little change just for me. Non real-time mode causes me more headaches than it cures. I won't be using it.
WN4AZY
#15 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 11:16:05 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

By the way, (sorry I didn't think to mention this earlier) if you want to adjust the automatically-logged time to the current time (say you logged him but it was a few minutes until you actually made contact), simply double-click the time or date field.