logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Summits on the Air - SOTA
WB4YDL
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 11:12:12 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Dennis:

I would like to see a SOTA field added so that I may track awards associated with this popular activity - activating peaks around the world. If you're not familiar with this program, please check out SOTA. This is similar in principle to IOTA and it's becoming quite popular. Databases are now available for qualifying peaks.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:00:06 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Jamie:

We are interested in supporting any award. However, I click the DATABASE link, it takes me to another page, which in turn links back to the home page. Can you provide the direct link to a downloadable database?

Of course you can set up a SOTA user-defined field and start tracking your SOTA progress. Without the database, all you are missing is a dropdown list of SOTAs and the ability to list unworked SOTAs.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WB4YDL
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 12:03:33 PM(UTC)

Dennis:

This is from the SOTA fellas :

Jamie,

Have him try http://www.sotadata.org.uk/ . He will have to create a login account. Then go to Summits>List of Summits. Then at the bottom of that page:

"NOTE : You can download a CSV file containing a list of all summits by clicking here"

Click on the hot link "here" to get a .csv file of all SOTA Summits.

Tnks, Guy/N7UN

Hope this helps.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
WB4YDL
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:02:23 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis:

This from Andy - -

I'm not quite sure where his problem with the links may be but they all work for me.

Info about SOTA and the people running it, including links to contact all or any of us in the Management Team (MT):

http://www.sota.org.uk/AboutSOTA
http://www.sota.org.uk/Contact

A CSV file of all the summits including those no longer valid can be had from here, no need to register etc.

http://www.sotadata.org.uk/summitslist.csv

However, it would be a good idea for Dennis to contact at least myself to discuss what he wants to do etc. to save him programming things that may already exist but are not so public or well known. As a programmer the last thing I want to do is program around what looks like a bug only to be told "why didn't you use the Superfrob interface as that handles all those stoomtoelevering issues for you!"

:-)

Andy, MM0FMF
Database manager.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL
W1AI
#5 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 2:29:29 PM(UTC)

I'm getting into SOTA. We had a lot of fun with our first activation (W7A-MS065) a couple of days ago, but I'm struggling trying to get the paper log entered into N1MM. It doesn't appear to support SOTA. A friend suggested that I upgrade to Logic 9. Before I plunk down $129 for new logging software, can someone tell me what it's going to take to use Logic 9 for SOTA?

A step-by-step guide to everything I need to do would be extremely welcome! I saw some notes on this forum about adding user-defined fields and running (what appears to be) Linux commands to load in all the summits. I'm just planning to run this on a Windows laptop. Is this new logger going to require hours of setup before I can start using it for SOTA?

I know that I could just enter my paper log into the web form on the SOTA site, but I would prefer to have a complete history of all our activities, not just SOTA, stored in one place.

Many thanks in advance!

John,
W1AI
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:40:47 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi--

You can track SOTA with LOGic 9 by merely creating the SOTA field and using it. You do not have to import the SOTA database.

The advantage to importing the SOTA database is that the log screen would then give you a dropdown list of all SOTAs as opposed to a freeform text field, and you could track unworked SOTAs.

Check back in a few days and hopefully I will have imported the list and posted it here.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY