logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

radio interface using ethernet?
K4ZO
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2023 7:37:58 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I would like to connect 2 rigs to Logic using ethernet. Radio 1 is a Elecraft K4D and radio 2 is a Yaesu FTdx 101MP. Both have ethernet ports and can have fixed IP addresses (or not). Is there a way to do this directly or is there a way using some other interfacing software? I also have another computer on the network running WSJT-X and need to share the WSJT-X log file with logic. any suggestions would be appreciated. Bruce K4ZO
1 user thanked K4ZO for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/1/2023(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K8ZM
#2 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2023 10:17:26 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Hi Bruce,

I'm not aware of anything that would allow for an Ethernet only connection to work as I think you still need a COM port(s), either physical or virtual. There must be something that takes Ethernet to a virtual com port. Dennis I'm sure will chime in.

Do you have the drivers for the K4 and FTDX 101mp that create Com ports ?? I assume you have (2) PC's since you say one has WSJT-X but not clear on how all the gear is inter-connected and/or how you want it all to work together.

I have (4) rigs and multiple instances of WSJT-X and Win4Icom all working concurrent with LOGic, see my QRZ.com page that shows how all are interconnected. I remember seeing something where a FTDX 101 user running Win4Yaesu was able to connect via ethernet. I'm sure there is a forum on groups.io for Win4Yaesu and probably a search there may help. Once the rigs have CAT control of some kind, linking to LOGic and WSJT-X should be "easy".

Brad K8ZM

w2zi
#3 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2023 10:53:58 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 62 post(s)
StarTech makes a Ethernet to COM port box. Don't know if they make a multiple COM port to Eherenet. They have their own virtual COM port driver. I've never actually tried it. My FT DX3000 shows up as 2 COM ports when I connect it USB.

This sort of thing was very common in the industrial, point-of-sale and phone system field but USB on on most devices is so common, there's little market. You also need the virtual COM port driver kept updated as Windows changes so often.

BlackBox makes these Serial-over-IP server units though they are priced industrially (over $200USD) so that may make it out of the question.

Don W2ZI
1 user thanked w2zi for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/1/2023(UTC)
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2023 9:30:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Quote:
I also have another computer on the network running WSJT-X and need to share the WSJT-X log file with logic. any suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't see any reason why LOGic couldn't watch a file across the LAN. I tried it just now. Nothing was actually being written to the ADIF file, but that limited test didn't error.