logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Backup/Restore Advanced question
W2EC
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2020 2:55:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Using Backup/Restore, according to HELP: "ADVANCED Backup and Restore allows you to specify the folder and file name used for backup and restore". I have yet to figure out how to select a folder/filename. There is a field at the bottom of the Advance Backup/Restore screenthat looks like it identifies the drive/folder/filename to be used, but I am unable to edit that field to change it to what I want. What am I doing wrong? I'm still on 9.1.46.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
W5GA
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2020 9:46:22 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 97 post(s)
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Logic allows you to change the path, but not the file name. I regularly do backup and restore via a thumbdrive.

73 Doug W5GA
wa4pgm
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:46:09 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Click on Advanced and select the folder. Uncheck Auto Filename to rename file.
W2EC
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2020 9:31:37 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: W5GA Go to Quoted Post
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Logic allows you to change the path, but not the file name. I regularly do backup and restore via a thumbdrive.

73 Doug W5GA

Good morning Doug,

Are you using the Basic Backup or Advanced Backup? If Basic, are you able to select a specific folder, or does it save directly to the root directory of your thumbdrive? Here is what the Logic manual tells me:

"Basic backup does not allow you to back up to a folder or specify a file name. If you want complete control over where the backup data is stored, click the Advanced page tab."

I've tried setting a specific folder under Basic Backup but of course I can't. I've used Basic Backup for many years which only saves to the root directory, and always overwrites the existing backup in that directory. Yet prior to the start of the backup it advises that I should keep at least 3 previous backups. I don't know how (using Logic Basic Backup) I can save the 3 previous backups since the previous backup is always automatically overwritten, that's why I want to use Advanced. Advanced says I can specify my own folder and filename. I've been advised that I have to uncheck the Auto Filename but if I do that I don't see how to specify my own desired filename. Now here's the weird thing. If I uncheck the Auto Filename, and then click the Select button, what happens is that Logic starts an install of an entirely different program, in my case it tries to install an ARRL 2017 Periodicals package from a CD rom that is not even on my system. I have to use TaskManager to close down Logic to get out of this situation.

What I would like is a step by step example of how I would use the Backup/Restore Advanced capability to specify a drive, a folder on that drive and a filename in that folder as to the location to create my backup.

Anyone have any ideas?

73, Paul W2EC