logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

"The requested security protocol is not supported" error in 9.1.38
WN4AZY
#1 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 5:45:01 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Someone using Windows XP reported this error after updating to LOGic 9.1.38, which addressed the security changes at the ARRL. It works on Win 7 for the same customer.

I strongly suspect that this is a Windows XP is the issue. This article is trying to sell something, but if it is correct, the latest security protocols are not supported in the XP operating system.
https://www.secureblackb...ur-Windows-XP-Vista.rst

I was hoping to find some simple patch for XP, but have found nothing.

It looks like it is time for XP folks to upgrade. However, if anyone wants to try to fix it, here is how I would proceed:

See this article on the ARRL web site:
http://www.arrl.org/news...bsite-security-software

To test your browser. Run LOGic, go to the LoTW Import screen. Right-click the IMPORT DIRECTLY FROM WEB button. This will put the URL that LOGIc uses to retrieve the data onto the clipboard. Run your browser and Paste into the address bar. See if it downloads. My guess is that you will get the same Protocol Not Supported error.

Try upgrading your browser so that the URL will work. If you can get a browser to work, then MAYBE LOGic will work also. At least if you get a browser to work but cannot get LOGic to work, you can go to the LoTW website, download the ADIF file, then use the IMPORT LoTW ADIF FILE FROM DISK button to get your data into LOGic.

If you cannot get a browser to download the ADIF file, then the only alternative is to download your data on a Win 7 or later computer (or a Mac or Linux machine for that matter), transfer it to your XP machine, and import it into LOGic using the IMPORT LoTW ADIF FILE FROM DISK button.

If someone gets it to work or learns anything, please share.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K8ZM
#2 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 10:52:30 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I'm not an XP user but there is some info out there. A few bit hounds have stated that XP will support TLS 1.2 if you have the latest update, so maybe worth a try to get it. Some also say to insure your browser has the protocol enabled, apparently TLS 1.1 was disabled by default, if you have the latest XP update and its not working then it maybe as simple as enabling it....again I'm not an expert but maybe worth a shot. I'm certainly not Dennis by any possible stretch of the imagination but I attempted searching for some fix as well and this was all I could find. I also attached is a snippet from Microsoft's website from a couple years ago, its a simple table showing the protocols supported from XP thru Windows 10. Most everyone says dump XP, even those that don't "like" Microsoft. Given the move to TLS 1.3 next year it may be worth looking to move up before the inevitable occurs.

To further the above, this courtesy a post from Dave, AA6YQ on the LoTW Forum.....

"Microsoft today said it plans to disable support for Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 and 1.1 in Edge and Internet Explorer
browsers by the first half of 2020. From a report: "January 19th of next year marks the 20th anniversary of TLS 1.0, the inaugural
version of the protocol that encrypts and authenticates secure connections across the web," said Kyle Pflug, Senior Program Manager
for Microsoft Edge. "Two decades is a long time for a security technology to stand unmodified," he said. "While we aren't aware of
significant vulnerabilities with our up-to-date implementations of TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 [...] moving to newer versions helps ensure a
more secure Web for everyone." The move comes as the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) -- the organization that develops and
promotes Internet standards -- is hosting discussions to formally deprecated both TLS 1.0 and 1.1. Microsoft is currently working on
adding support for the official version of the recently-approved TLS 1.3 standard. Edge already supports draft versions of TLS 1.3,
but not yet the final TLS 1.3 version approved in March, this year."

Didnt mean to steal the thread but thought this may be worthy of posting.

73, de Brad, N8GLS
File Attachment(s):
XP TLS.JPG (152kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 10/20/2018(UTC)
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2018 8:09:04 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
We have also had reports of this error from a Windows 7 user. If you are experienceing the same problem, here are some links that might help.

https://support.microsof...-secure-protocols-in-wi

https://blogs.technet.mi...n-outlook-on-windows-7/

Here is a web site that tests the TLS support of your computer.
https://www.howsmyssl.com/
(I got this from the above-referenced ARRL link).

Dennis WN4AZY