logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Logic Crashes With Some Updates
K6JJ
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:46:17 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Dennis,

I am trying to get a temporary computer up and running, while I look for a new desktop computer. I am setting up an older laptop containing Windows Vista 32 bit operating system.

I have loaded the initial Logic 9 installation file, which works. Then I updated Logic with the latest update, version 79. Logic will not boot up with this version loaded. I get the message shown below:

Announce.vcx announcer.initialize_announce

CreateAssemblyInstanceFromFile Error: assembly\pdadirectsound.dll
PDA.Sound.PlayQueue
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Closing the message closes Logic. After Logic closes, I have to uninstall and reinstall Logic to make it work.

I downloaded all of the update files and installed them one at a time, booting up Logic after each installation of a new update file. I found that update files 38 through and including 47 allow Logic to boot up. Updates 49 and 50 cause the error. I did not try any of the higher updated versions, except for 79.

I noticed that at updates 48/49 you mentioned: “LOGic should now run without errors when no sound card or speakers are installed”. I am wondering if this is still a problem for a laptop with an onboard integrated sound system.

Thanks,
John
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 10:42:03 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi John:

Funny, someone else was having what appears to be the same problem. For some reason calls to the DirectX library would fail on his computer. You may have a similar issue.

Download this update.
http://www.hosenose.com/...and-fixes.aspx#post5207
It is just the LOGIC.EXE, so manually copy it to c:\program files (x86)\logic or wherever you have it installed. It will still say version 9.0.79, but will now disable sound altogether the first time you get the error. Also, you may have to go to the control panel and uninstall SlimDX for this to work.

As for getting the sound to work again, the new update has better error reporting, and may give additional info. So before doing the above, get the update and recheck the error message.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K6JJ
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 6:05:42 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

Unless I am missing something, always possible, is the link you supplied correct? It takes me to the latest Logic update, logic9update79.exe. There is no logic.exe file to download and copy directly over my existing file, of the same name.

I downloaded logic9update79.exe and installed it over working version 47. Here is the error message displayed when trying to boot up LOGic:

announce.vcx announcer.initialize_announce

CreateAssemblyInstanceFromFile Error: assembly\pdadirectsound.dll
PDA.Sound.PlayQueue
DotNetLoader method: CreateInstanceFromfile_Internal
Type Name: PDA.Sound.PlayQueue
Assembly Name: assembly\pdadirectsound.dll
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Could not load file or assembly 'SlimDX, Version=2.0.9.42, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9' or one of its dependencies. The System
cannot find the file specified.

Thanks,
John
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 7:00:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Sorry, I did post the wrong link. But before you try that, try this:
http://www.hosenose.com/...nce-error.aspx#post2197

Here is the link I intended:
http://www.hosenose.com/...l-windows.aspx#post5289

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K6JJ
#5 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 4:24:19 AM(UTC)

Dennis,

I am sorry to report that neither method fixed the problem. I got the same error messages, as previously encountered with version 79.

I do not want this to become a career project. If you have any other suggestions, I am willing to try them. I do not use the Logic sound features. I do not intend to use this laptop for a long length of time. The laptop has all of the Windows updates available for Vista.

The biggest problem of staying with the version 47 update that I have found is that I cannot upload to or download from the ARRL LoTW. I am assuming that as the ARRL made changes to their Web site, you had to make modifications to Logic, with later updates, to accommodate those changes.

John
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 6:46:41 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, so just go turn sound off. There is a new checkbox in the lower lefthand corner of the Announcement tab on the Spot Log form. Uncheck it.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
File Attachment(s):
Capture.JPG (57kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
K6JJ
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 4:50:06 AM(UTC)

Greetings Dennis,

I read your last reply. Unfortunately, when I close the error message after booting up Logic, Logic closes. I cannot get into Logic and Spot Log/Announcement to see the Sound Enable check box.

I did not say it previously, but I, also, have a new HP Spectre Laptop. The battery life is excellent, as you mentioned. I bought it a few months past. I did not want to dedicate this Laptop to logging and controlling my rig. I thought my older laptop would prove ideal for this use.

In frustration, I decided to do the setup of all of the necessary programs on the Spectre Laptop and use it instead of the older laptop. I loaded TRX-Manager. Then I loaded Logic with the initial installation file. As I remember, it loads version 24. This version worked. Then I installed the latest update, version 79. I booted up Logic and I got the same error message, apparently, as in the past. I say apparently, as I got the rectangle that had the same title at the top, but no other information inside.

I found a difference between the older laptop using Windows Vista and the Spectre laptop using Windows 10. On the older Laptop, Logic closes when the error message is closed. Closing the error message on the Spectre does not close Logic. I was able to go to Spot Log/Announcement. At the bottom of this tab, where it shows Device, the drop down menu shows: “(sound not available)”. There was no other selection available in the drop down menu. There is no Sound Enable check box, as shown on the graphic file attached to your reply. Your graphic file shows that you have selected, in the drop down menu: “ Windows Default Device Selected”. I do not have that choice. Note that the Spectre does not yet have any serial ports defined or connected.

After seeing your graphic file and the Announcement tab on my Spectre laptop, I suspect that if I could have gotten into Logic on the older computer, I would not have had the ability to enable or disable the sound. That computer probably shows “sound not available”. I am wondering what the difference is between your Spectre Laptop and mine. Do you have a USB connected sound system? Or, if you had one connected at one time, maybe the drivers are still loaded and presenting a different sound system capability in your laptop. Or, possibly, with my inexperience with Windows 8 that was loaded on my Spectre, previously, or with the current Windows 10, I have to do some sort of setup or change in the operating system. If so, I have yet to find it. This problem is getting beyond my pay grade!

I hope this long dissertation will help. I appreciate your help with this problem.

John
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:03:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
I say apparently, as I got the rectangle that had the same title at the top, but no other information inside.
Try moving the empty error box a little. That may cause it to paint.

Quote:
There is no Sound Enable check box, as shown on the graphic file attached to your reply.
Ok, then the interim update is not installed. Download logic.exe from here, then copy it to c:\program files (x86)\logic, overwriting the existing one.
http://www.hosenose.com/...l-windows.aspx#post5289
Post #13.

I also had Win 8, and am using a USB sound dongle. But it works standalone with the Spectre only too.

Another thing to check: Make sure that .Net 3.5 is enabled. Go to the control panel/Programs & Features. Click Turn Windows Features On and Off. Make sure .net 3.5 is enabled. If it weren't LOGic probably wouldn't even run, and it was enabled by default for me, but check it.

I can log in and take a look.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K6JJ
#9 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 6:32:26 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

I got Logic to work on my older laptop computer. I tried the logic.exe file, from your separate link, again. I got to thinking about this problem and remembered that I did not try rebooting Logic. This time, I tried closing or continuing through the first error message. Then, I went through about 2 more error messages with the last error message closure abruptly closing the program. I rebooted Logic for the second time. I went through about 5 error messages, with the last error message abruptly closing Logic. I rebooted Logic for the third time. This time, when I closed the first error message, Logic booted up completely. It has the Sound Enable check box in the Spot Log/Announcement tab.

Now, each time I boot up Logic, I get the same single error message, as follows:

Error 1429 “OLE IDispatch exception code 0 from
PDA.LOGic.PrefixCallsignDBLookup: Method not found: ‘System.String
PDA.Encryption2.Encryption.GetSHA256Checksum(System.String)’…”
Has occurred in program
PREFIXLOOKUPSETUP, line 17.

Attempt to continue? Yes No

When I tell the error message to Continue, Logic boots up completely. Logic seems stable and everything I have tried works well. I can log into the ARRL LoTW. I get this error message regardless of whether the Enable Sound box is checked or unchecked. Logic also works with TRX-Manager connected to my transceiver and to Logic.

I checked .Net within Turn Windows Features On or Off. Under Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0, the box XPS Viewer is checked on my old laptop computer.

I have not tried anything further with my Spectre Laptop computer. I can put up with the error message for this temporary use of Logic on my older Laptop computer. If you have a suggestion on how to cure it, I am willing to try it, such as I have not set up something correctly within Logic.

Thanks & 73,
John
File Attachment(s):
Error Message.JPG (69kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 10:45:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, that error means that one of the .Net DLLs that LOGic uses is the wrong version or missing altogether. The lookups of the new CTY extraneous calls database is probably not working.

I could send you the .DLL, but instead of that I will make a whole new install with the latest version and get that to you. It will take a few days unfortunately.

Sorry for the problems. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2015 9:59:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

I redid all the .NET stuff in LOGic in .Net 4.0, and switched to the latest version of SlimDX. I got it working here. A ways to go yet, but making progress!

Maybe that will fix whatever is wrong there. But if not, you can at least totally disable sound.

Dennis WN4AZY
K6JJ
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2015 3:10:08 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for working on the problems. I have a new desktop computer. It came with Windows 10 Pro installed. I have loaded it with most of the programs I use or will use eventually.

I have installed and setup Logic, TRX-Manager and CC User. In using Logic, I have found the following problems with error messages:

1. With the normal logic.exe version 79 update file installed, I get the sound associated error message, with the title:

announce.vcx announcer.initialize_annnounce

When I install your modified logic.exe version 79 file, this error message is eliminated. In the Logic Spot Log / Announcement tab, there is nothing shown in the Device drop down box. If I check the Sound Enabled box and close Logic, then boot up Logic, I get the same error message and there is no check mark in the Sound Enable box. The Device drop down box says: (sound not available). I can close this error message and continue to use Logic. This is different from when I was using Windows Vista. When this error message was Closed or Ignored using Vista, the Logic program also completely closed, making it impossible to use Logic.

2. Using either version of logic79.exe, and after Logic has run for a few minutes, I get the following error message:

LOGic.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
Available.

I can leave this message open and continue to use Logic normally, at least with everything I have tried within the Logic program, such as logging, watching spots, opening reports and setting my rig in the Spot Log. If I close this error message, the Logic program completely closes. I get this message when TRX-Manager and CC User are connected to Logic. I also get this message when Logic is running without TRX-Manager and CC User connected. Fortunately, I can move this error message around on the screen to get it mostly out of the way. Also, I was getting this same error message when I started but did not finish setting up Logic on my HP Spectre laptop computer.

3. Using either version of logic79.exe, and using the Logic Callbooks screen to look up a call sign, I get the following error message:

Program Error

! OLE error code 0x800a139b: Unknown COM status code.

After clicking the Ignore button on this error message each time it appears (usually multiple numbers of messages), the message goes away and call sign information is shown. Closing the message completely closes the Logic program.

4. Using either version of logic79.exe, and with spots coming into the Logic Spot Log from CC User, I get the following error message:

Program Error

! OLE Idispatch exception code 0 from System: parsing “\bUI[A-I][67][“
- Unterminated [] set…

I get this message after I have Logic running and my computer is idle for a while. When these error messages start, it appears that spots stop coming into the Logic Spot Log. After all of the error messages are cleared using the message Ignore button, the Spot Log updates to current spots. I am wondering if there is something within Windows 10 that I have not disabled. I have attempted to turn off all of the power down modes, such as keeping the computer from going to sleep and not having the disk drive power down. A screen saver turns on after 30 minutes of no computer use. This problem does not seem to happen if I am actively using Logic.

I hope this information will help you. You mentioned in one of your replies that you can log onto my computer. I am OK with that, if it will help you.

John
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2015 9:30:09 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi John:

1. We have run into this two or three times recently (LOGic not being able to communicate with the sound card). One guy (possibly you) has the same HP Spectre that I have. (I am developing LOGic on a HP Spectre and a Plugable brand docking station now BTW. Using Win 10.)

I added the ability to disable the sound (it disables itself upon error actually) just to make the program useable. I have implemented .net 4 and the latest library that accesses Microsoft's graphic/sound/gaming system -- the name escapes me at the moment. Hopefully that will fix it.

2. So do you think CC User is a factor or THE factor? I was not aware of CC User. Fill me in!

3. Does it matter what callbook is being called?

4. (Need more info on CC User).

One thing to check is to make sure all of your USB=>RS232 adapters have FTDI chips. If they don't, disable them from LOGic. I don't see anything to specifically indicate that is the cause, but flaky USB=>RS232 adapters are pretty much the bane of our existence now, so something to try.

I'll check back for info on CC User and try it here.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K6JJ
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:30:16 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

1. Yes, I am the one with the HP Spectre. However, I am not using it for Logic. After my old desktop computer quit (failed CPU, I believe), I set up Logic on an old laptop computer using Windows Vista for temporary use. Now, I have a new desktop computer running Windows 10 Pro. This new desktop computer is the computer I was using when I sent you my last report about the error messages. I continue to use this desktop computer with Logic. I reported the non-communications with sound card error message, again, as I am now seeing it on the new computer, also. The modified logic79.exe file fixes it, but disables sound.

OK, thanks, that is why the check mark in the Enable Sound check box went away after I checked it and received the error message. You designed that way!

2. The software program CCUser is used for DX packet cluster spotting. It was developed by VE7CC. It is a free program. You can see it here:

http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/default.htm#prog

The software download is near the bottom of this site. One can set up CCUser to send the spots it receives on to a logging program. In CCUser, within the Configuration menu, go to Ports/Logging Program. This is where one can define a location to send incoming spots. The default is to use Telnet and Port 7300. Then, within Logic, its Telnet Form is setup to receive those spots by defining the URL. I use: 127.0.0.1 :7300 and then connecting Logic to CCUser. When this is done, spots showing up in the CCUser display will also show up in the Login Spot Log. CCUser is very helpful. It interfaces with a DX cluster node and makes changes to the node easy, such as changing filtering for specific bands, specific states, etc. It has other very useful features, such as showing a spots line in different color for each bands. Seeing 6 Meter spots in red makes a band opening very apparent. CCUser and Logic complement each other and work well together, similar to Logic and TRX-Manager.

I am not a software programmer. I am a little handicapped when trying to describe what I see to you. I do not think that CCUser is the problem (my guess). It seems that if CCUser and Logic are left idle for some time, a couple of hours or overnight, I get the error message. I get the impression that something is timing out, powering down or going to sleep where the spots stop getting to Logic. Clearing the error message(s) using the error message Ignore button causes the spots to update in Logic. The spots do not stop in CCUser.

3. It does not seem to matter what callbook is used. I keep QRZ.com Subscription at the top of the callbook list. I have tried rearranging them. I still get the error message. I get the error message when I enter a call sign and hit Enter on my keyboard. I also get the error message when I enter a call sign and click on the callbook drop down list to select a different callbook.

4. See #3 for CCUser information. I should note that VE7CC also has a DX Cluster node software program. This program is not free. His node software has some extra features. If you use CCUser to connect to a node using his node software (such as VE7CC-1), it will use those extra features.

Last, you mentioned checking the type of COM ports I use. I do not use USB to RS-232 adapters. I have had a lot of grief from them in the past, such as having my computer reboot in a random manner when they are connected. Sometimes they work for some devices and sometimes they do not work. My desktop computer has a SIIG DP CyberSerial 4S PCIe card. It supplies four COM ports. I have found this much more reliable, although resolving COM port conflicts is sometimes a pain. This is one of the reasons I have stayed with desktop computers for some of my computer needs. My COM ports seem to function correctly, currently.

John
WN4AZY
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 8, 2015 12:01:17 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Here is the aforementioned update that uses the new .Net 4 and DirectX stuff. It hasn't been too well tested. I just made the installer this morning and tested it on my personal copy of LOGic. I have been using the development version for a while.

I'll check out CCUser.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

MOVED TO OFFICIAL RELEASE
http://www.hosenose.com/...-and-fixes.aspx#post5410
K6JJ
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:28:01 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

I installed the version 80 updater. I realize that I tried an early product. I am sorry to say that it did not change anything or fix anything. Through a process of uninstalling and reinstalling, I reverted back to the modified version 79 logic.exe file.

John
K6JJ
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2015 5:39:46 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

Previously, I mentioned that logging was working without error. I was incorrect. I thought I had done some logging since these problems had started. I worked a station, today. I logged it through clicking on the spot in the Spot Log. The spot logged, but I also got the same error message I get when using the Callbook form. This error message occurs whether I am logging via the Spot Log or logging manually. The error message is, as follows:

! OLE error code 0x800a139b: Unknown COM status code.

I disabled the link with TRX-Manager in the Miscellaneous Setup area. I still get the error message.

Also, yesterday, I received an email message about a reply in the Logic forums. I clicked on the link in the message, but it took me to a previous message of yours. If you were replying to me, I did not get the information.

John
WN4AZY
#18 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 9:12:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi John:

Not sure about the email to a link to the LOGic forum. I don't use the email notification feature. It might have just been any thread I replied to. I haven't PM'd you.

If the .80 update works, I would use that so we are on the same page. Besides moving to .Net 4 and the new sound stuff, there are fixes, including the error on post #9.

What is most perplexing is the Unknown COM status code with relation to the callbooks. The callbooks don't use COM (Common Object Module, not to be confused with RS-232 ports hihi). If you could call me I would like to log in and take a look. Get that fixed first.

The PCI RS-232 card may or may not be a problem. MAKE SURE you have the latest driver for it, esp. in light of Win 10. You could try telling LOGic not to use any Com ports and see if any errors go away.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:54:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi John:

Thanks for your call yesterday. As promised, I am following up with resulting questions here.

To summarize, the callbooks are working. There may still be some problems related to non-FTDI USB=>RS232 ports. The recommendation is to turn off CI-V transceive in the rig (Icom), and tell LOGic to poll. Or get FTDI-based ports. The sound problem has not been resolved, even when using only the sound card native to the computer.

I confirmed that .80 does indeed automatically disable sound upon certain soundcard-related errors as .79 does. However, you probably need to uninstall the SlimDX DirectX library from Control Panel/Programs and Features for this to happen. There are separate vesrions of SlimDX for .79 and .80. You were probably seeing what you were seeing because .79's SlimDX was uninstalled, but .80's wasn't. I did fix a sound card error in the last iteration of .80, so unplug the Timewave thing or any other external soundcards whose drivers are questionable, and test using the computer's internal sound card again. If no go, then uninstall the SlimDX and you can get back into the program.

I removed the .80 beta from this thread and made an official post here:
http://www.hosenose.com/...and-fixes.aspx#post5410

Let me know if you learn anything.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
kg8cw
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2015 8:09:17 AM(UTC)

Good Morning Dennis

Since upgrade .80 I have crashed upon starting logic. The workaround seems to be rebooting computer, starting logic when I get the program stop notice i leave logic. I then restart logic and when it asks last time logic did not shut down correctly would i like to clean, I say no. Logic starts up again. If I clean it goes back to the crash cycle. Does same thing with .81.

Mike, KG8CW