logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Windows 10 (Tech Eval)
AE7AE
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2015 3:48:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi group... just installed WIN-10 over WIN-8.1 a few weeks ago...all programs are working OK except LOGic9...
I get an error message every time I try to open it.
I had thought that all the drivers from the legacy OS would be compatible...but, maybe not!
I tried all the usual methods (Admin, etc).
Any comments from others who are using this version?
BTW...This version has the best of WIN7 and WIN8 without the worst of the 8 features!
Eddie AE7AE
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:20:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
I was talking with someone yesterday who was using it with LOGic 9 without problems. He really liked it too BTW.

What does the error message say? As usual, we can expect a lot of problems with USB=>RS232 drivers, particularly non-FTDI stuff. I don't know if FTDI will work on Win 10 or not, but if they don't it's just a matter of time.
AE7AE
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2015 10:08:30 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,
Just downloaded the program again...thanks.
Made 2 copies on disk!!

Tried to install it on my new laptop running WIN-10 (Tech Eval) version...
It installs OK, but, after it does the initial run and I complete the setup, I get 2 PROGRAM ERROR CODES:
1. OLE IDispatch exception on Code 0 from system. The parameter is incorrect.
after pressing IGNORE twice, I get another one:
2. Function Argument value, type, or count is invalid.
I then renamed LOGICSERVER.EXE to .EXEXXX, then retried.
Immediately got error that is the same as (1.) but with the added wording: .."has occurred in program FT5000.GETDATA, line 0. Attempt to continue?
I tried, but, then got error messages (1.) and (2.) again.

In setup, I selected the FT5000 and COM7... I am using an FT3000... but, the rig is not connected as yet...would this affect the error codes received?

Hope it's a simple fix!

HELP!
Eddie

K3GC
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 9:26:00 AM(UTC)

Windows 10 works pretty much perfectly with every app I throw at it EXCEPT Logic. I have had it working a couple of times but then various errors crop up; mostly the infamous OLE errors. There have also been NET errors and the latest a Fox Pro version error.

I have used and really liked LOgic for several years but this is about to get the best of me. I have experimented with several other loggers with absolutely no problems. I prefer LOgic but Windows 10 will soon be the OS of choice and necessity. At this point LOgic is just not compatible with Windows 10.

If I am missing something I would love to be educated. Meanwhile I will have to continue to explore other options.
Gene K3GC
AE7AE
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 3:17:26 PM(UTC)

LOGic9 still will not work with WINDOWS 10 TE... There seems to be a DRIVER problem... definitely needs some upgrade to work with this OS. I had to keep my OLD laptop running WIN7Ult to use LOGic... a waste, as I prefer to get rid of it...but I can't until LOGic works with Windows 10...
DENNIS...HELP!Crying
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 3:33:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Preliminary tests done by one of our business clients using VFP is that VFP itself works flawlessly, and runs even faster to boot.

The errors reported here and from other LOGic users seem to be related to USB=RS232 adapters. (These errors are occurring in Windows, being passed to LOGic, and yes, would occur whether the rig is connected or not).

Apparently USB=>RS232 drivers are a still problem.
http://www.usconverters....0-USB-to-Serial-Adapter

(An aside, be sure to read the link "Why most serial adapters will not work on Win 7 or 8." It says that most non-FTDI adapters support about only 60% of the RS-232 standard.)

http://answers.microsoft...-4c06-b4fb-89b45d005ca0

Another issue is LOGic being tied to internet explorer, and with that being discontinued and replaced with something else, it is possible that LOGic may not control whatever browser is the default in Win 10. Fortunately it looks like we will be able to support FireFox and/or Chrome.

Anyway, when FTDI comes out with a driver for Win 10, I will start testing! Not time to panic yet.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
AE7AE
#7 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 9:59:18 PM(UTC)

I do not use an adapter... I connect my Yaesu FTdx3000 USB output DIRECTLY to a USB socket on the laptop... Does that mean my FTdx3000 has a problem with its USB driver? There is no way to change it! Maybe your 'guru' can contact Yaesu and find out? I do not use IE either. I use Chrome and Firefox as browsers. (We think alike!) 73, Eddie AE7AE/VK4AN/3D2A
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2015 9:55:43 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, your rig basically has a built-in USB=>RS232 adapter. You CAN change the driver. It is just another Windows driver. Hopefully Yaesu or their chip vendor will update the driver.

If other programs are working with the current FTDX3000 driver but LOGic is not, you could try using OmniRig. It may or may not work with Win 10.

Another possible issue with Win 10 and LOGic is that Win 10 may not have the .Net framework 2.0 installed. It is easy enough to add. If there is an option to add .Net 3.5 in Add/Remove windows features, that will work. We will be going to 4.5 soon anyway.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
AE7AE
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:43:22 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the feedback... Guess I will just have to (reluctantly) switch to HRD... According to reports, it works fine on WIN10TE... not looking forward to switching though... been a loyal LOGic user since version 1... regards and SK...de Eddie AE7AE
K3GC
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:26:27 PM(UTC)

OK, I have pretty much gone as far as I can with Logic and Windows 10 build 10041.
Logic seems to perform quite well so long as you don't try to change com port settings. If you attempt to go to Tools, setup, misc ham setup the errors crop up and logic is done.
The same is true of attempting to invoke tools, advanced, serial port status except that Logic doesn't shut down you just end up with a blank status screen. Clearly this is a com port issue. I do not believe it is an issue with com port drivers. I have experimented with DXSuite and Log4OM fairly extensively and they have no problem with any com ports that I use. My com hardware is as follows. PCIe add-on card has two ports and an on-board port. I also have two (not in service presently) USB>rs232 adapters with the FTDI chipsets. When I use them they perform identically to the board mounted ones.
I hope this is of some help. Of all the choices out there I prefer Logic.
Gene K3GC
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:40:11 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Gene--

Ok, but I don't see how the problem CAN'T be drivers. LOGic talks to the Windows COM port library, which in turn talks to the USB=>RS232 drivers. These errors are coming from Windows because the driver is failing. There is nothing I can do about this.

Just because the other software works doesn't prove that the drivers are A-OK. They are just not using the same calls and features of the port that LOGic is.

Wait until FTDI gets Win 10 drivers posted and I bet it will work!

http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K3GC
#12 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 7:55:27 AM(UTC)

Thanks Dennis,
I hope you are right. The only comment I would add is that I do not use the USB>RS232 adapter. I use only the PCIe and integral com only,
Gene K3GC
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 9:13:12 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, I missed that you are NOT using the FTDI-based adapters. Still, what you are using has drivers (everythin does), and they are obviously an issue. The same hardware and software (LOGic) work on Win 8 or 7 or whatever.

Or I guess it could be a problem with Win 10 itself still, seeing the onboard port isn't working either -- or the onboard port may in fact be working but the PCIe is causing the errors and not allowing you to use the onboard one either. You could try pulling the PCIe card and try just the onboard port.

An explanation as to why your other software works and LOGic does not is that the calls to get the information about the ports is not working. We have the COM Port Status Window, as well as prepopulate the dropdowns that you use to select the COM ports for the rig etc., only with COM ports that actually exist. Other software probably does not do this -- typically they just arbitrarily display COM1 thru COM32 or whatever.

Tnx & 73,

WN4AZY