logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Logging from different Grid squares
KB7EEG
#1 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 12:29:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Hello all, Can someone pse tell me in detail how to log vhu/uhf grid squares from two different locations??? Even thou they are both within the 50 mile circle. Most of the time I will go up to the mountains to a different grid aquare to operate the VHF contests, how do I log them so they are in different grid squares?? Thank You

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 4:30:54 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I don't operate VHF/UHF. I have no experience participating in VHF/UHF contests.

I understand operating VHF/UHF involves logging grid squares.

Logging the other guys grid square seems fairly obvious - there is a field for that on any Log Form.

Usually your grid square only appears in Tools, Setup, Station Information. If you want to log it, you need to define a user field to hold the square.

To operate a VHF/UHF contest in LOGic, one loads the appropriate contesting Log Form and sets the various parameters.

To provide detail instructions ...

Which LOGic VHF/UHF contest form do you want to use??

ARRL VHF Sweekstakes?
ARRL Sept VHF QSO Party?
... any other???

Both ARRL forms require that you define the user field "GRID MINE".

Am I on the right track?
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
KB7EEG on 3/24/2015(UTC)
KB7EEG
#3 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 11:14:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Hello Peter. Yes ur on the right track. Its not necessary any contest in particular, just all of my vhf/uhf grid squares.

I need it to log the grid square that I happen to be working from, Home is DN31wd, but the mountains where I go to operate in the summer are in DN41. Will LOgic9 log both DN31 and also DN41 as separate grid squares when I do an upload to LOTW?? I operate from home from DN31, so is it just a process of renaming one of the "User fields" that I am not using into grid square and and recording the grid of the station's I work?? Also if I change the grid square in Tools, Setup, Station Information, will it also log it as different grid square when uploading to LOTW or do I need to keep a separate log for that?? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Chris/KB7EEG
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:15:43 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Chris,

No mater what you do, it is a good idea to define an additional USER FIELD to hold the grid square from which you operate. That's easy to do. Lets call it "MYGRID". I would not rename an existing field. You can have thousands of them. Lets add one and call it MYGRID.

Having defined the field, one then must update the relevant Log form to display "MYGRID". Then we need to update the Log form Log,Setup,Defaults, to add MYGRID. This lets you fill in the default grid square once before you start operating, and have your square automatically filled in for you for every subsequent QSO.

When you export to LOTW you are in control of what you export. Look in Tools,Setup, Log Fields, Export. You can set a flag to export any field you want.

But, a reasonable question will be - what does the ARRL expect to receive for "my grid" and "his grid".

For a VHF contest log it might be a different story again.

Looking at this page on the ARRL site ...

Present only if the QSLing station included a valid grid square value in its station location uploaded to LoTW. Multiple instances of GRIDSQUARE appear in a QSO record if the QSLing station indicated that its station location was at a grid boundary or intersection (see VUCC rule #4)

That seems to be saying to me that you need a new "location", in the TQSL/ARRL sense of location, for every different square from which you operate, if you want the grid from which you operated included in the LOTW world.

You can have LOGic export MYGRID in the ADIF file when you upload - the real question is what ADIF name would you give it?

I think you can ignore exporting MYGRID as an ADIF field. MYGRID is just for your purposes so that you can actually tell which QSOs were made from which square, and importantly, allow you to select which QSOs you need to export to LOTW for the "location" defined in TQSL.

When LOGic exports the ADIF it hands the file over to the ARRL TQSL programs and those programs add the "TQSL location grid square" to the header of the file, encrypt the ADIF file with your personal key, and upload it to LOTW.

I hope that makes sense. Detailed instructions will follow once we have a common understanding of what we need to do.

Peter VK4IU
vk4iu
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:20:21 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

What has happened there?

The post is in a different format!

... and it cannot edit it!

I will repeat to try to get it back to a reasonable form.
Peter VK4IU
KB7EEG on 3/24/2015(UTC)
vk4iu
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:22:45 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day Chris,

No mater what you do, it is a good idea to define an additional USER FIELD to hold the grid square from which you operate. That's easy to do. Lets call it "MYGRID". I would not rename an existing field. You can have thousands of them. Lets add one and call it MYGRID.

Having defined the field, one then must update the relevant Log form to display "MYGRID". Then we need to update the Log form Log,Setup,Defaults, to add MYGRID. This lets you fill in the default grid square once before you start operating, and have your square automatically filled in for you for every subsequent QSO.

When you export to LOTW you are in control of what you export. Look in Tools,Setup, Log Fields, Export. You can set a flag to export any field you want.

But, a reasonable question will be - what does the ARRL expect to receive for "my grid" and "his grid".

For a VHF contest log it might be a different story again.

Looking at this page on the ARRL site ...

Present only if the QSLing station included a valid grid square value in its station location uploaded to LoTW. Multiple instances of GRIDSQUARE appear in a QSO record if the QSLing station indicated that its station location was at a grid boundary or intersection (see VUCC rule #4)

That seems to be saying to me that you need a new "location", in the TQSL/ARRL sense of location, for every different square from which you operate, if you want the grid from which you operated included in the LOTW world.

You can have LOGic export MYGRID in the ADIF file when you upload - the real question is what ADIF name would you give it?

I think you can ignore exporting MYGRID as an ADIF field. MYGRID is just for your purposes so that you can actually tell which QSOs were made from which square, and importantly, allow you to select which QSOs you need to export to LOTW for the "location" defined in TQSL.

When LOGic exports the ADIF it hands the file over to the ARRL TQSL programs and those programs add the "TQSL location grid square" to the header of the file, encrypt the ADIF file with your personal key, and upload it to LOTW.

I hope that makes sense. Detailed instructions will follow once we have a common understanding of what we need to do.
Peter VK4IU
KB7EEG on 3/24/2015(UTC)