logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Split Freq not being logged, Icoms 7610,7300,9700 & Win4IcomSuite
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 7:48:22 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I posted this issue on the 7610 some time ago but this is actually not working for any rig/driver.

LOGic v9.1.46, non-legacy drivers #47 (IC-7300), #48 (IC-9700), #50 (IC-7610), also (3) instances of Win4IcomSuite. All functions work from within LOGic, I can change all the parameters,Freq, Mode, etc., on all the radios, also in Win4IcomSuite(s) and the radio(s), they all display changes concurrently. LOGic is just NOT reading/logging the split frequency from any radio, it will only log the "active" VFO's frequency.

Setting Split and/or Dual watch from LOGic works and the rig follows, also, Win4IcomSuite follows. Tried every possible combination of initiating Split, starting within LOGic, then the Radio, then in desperation from Win4IcomSuite. Regardless of where Split is initiated LOGic is not reading the split Tx freq. I also tried other drivers, baud rates, stop bits, polling, IQ, etc., etc.. with the same outcome.

I attached a software/hardware diagram.

Thanks for any help,

73 de Brad, N8GLS

OS/PC: Windows 10 x64 Home v1909, Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz, 16gB ram, Lenovo K450 Desktop
File Attachment(s):
Software Diagram-2020Feb02 - Copy.jpg (220kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 6:36:15 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Thanks for the diagram!

Ok -- so Win4IcomSuite reads split properly?

Is Win4IcomSuite actually an issue? Does LOGic still not read split if it is removed from the equasion?

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 7:54:13 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Hi Dennis !!

Great to hear from you and hope you are all well.....

So, Win4Icom reads (and displays) split, I can change anything in Win4Icom and for those supported features in LOGic they are displayed in LOGic as well, i.e., on the 7610, initiating split in Win4Icom detents LOGics "spl" radio button, also if Dual Watch is initiated, Logic's "dl" radio button is detented. Likewise, the reverse is true if rig changes are initiated from LOGic, Win4Icom's radio buttons change state in sync with LOGic (as well as the rig, ha). So on the surface everything plays perfectly together for all (3) Icoms.....its a thing of beauty !!

LOGic field Freq Tx is just being populated with the same freq as the active VFO. If VFO A is at 7.125, Split initiated, VFO B is at 7.130, when the qso is logged both fields "Freq" and "Freq TX" will log 7.125 (if VFO A is the active or focused VFO). Likewise if VFO B was the active or focused VFO then both "Freq" and Freq TX" would log 7.130.

I had not launched LOGic standalone yet and I do know split worked at one time, certainly pre Win4Icom but don't remember if it did post Win4Icom. Also, I did not try any of the legacy drivers, but, first things first. I'll de-clutter the software and virtual serial ports and just go direct Rig to LOGic, then will add in virtual serial ports, then Win4Icom and report back. Sorry, I usually do some level of troubleshooting first....being retired is taking its toll...HA !!

Thanks !!

73, Brad

K8ZM
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 12:57:12 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Dennis,

Just tried LOGic direct to the IC-7610 and split worked, logging "Freq" and Freq TX" correctly. So....on to the Win4IcomSuite forum.....

I'll report back...

Thanks,
73, Brad

K8ZM
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:40:42 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Tom, VA2FSQ, the developer of Win4IcomSuite has been working on this issue since Feb 12 and after several back-n-forths with info and settings he is reporting the following;

Feb 12: "Many icom radios today have directly accessible VFO’s. So you can send a command that returns the VFO frequency by specifying which VFO. For example command 25.
Logic however instead sends a swap VFO command. What that does is actually swap the VFO’s. It then immediately reads the VFO value which in the case of Win4Icom is cached. The problem is that the main polling thread does not have time to read the new VFO values and return it before he requests the VFO frequency and therefore returns the original VFO A frequency.
This is the only software I know of that does this and any solution will have to be carefully checked against other applications to ensure that all is well.
I’m thinking perhaps every time I get a swap VFO command, I immediately read the port and update the cache.

Feb 16: "What I did find initially was that a simple 300ms delay after the vfo swap seems to fix the issue".

If he is able to implement a working fix I'll report back. I Wanted to share this as I don't know the inner workings of LOGic but wanted to be sure his interpretation of how its logging split is correct. Any ideas or commentary appreciated.

Thanks,
73 de Brad, N8GLS

K8ZM
#6 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2020 4:22:37 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Feb 24: Tom, VA2FSQ released v1.284 of Win4IcomSuite last Friday. In addition to the multiple enhancements and updates he was able to incorporate a time delay sufficient to allow for Logic's VFO swapping when in Split mode and read the transmit frequency. I just downloaded and installed and it works perfectly. For those LOGic users also using Win4IcomSuite and split wasn't being logged, this new release fixes that issue as well as adding some new features and enhancements.

Thanks Tom for supporting LOGic and its users !!!

73 de Brad, N8GLS
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 3/2/2020(UTC)