logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Windows 10: LOGic.exe has stopped working
K6JJ
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:57:58 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Dennis,

I am a long time user of Logic 9 and previous versions. They have worked well without problems. Yesterday, I upgraded my Windows operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10. With Windows 10, I am getting the Windows error message:

“LOGic.exe has stopped working”

This message appears after the Logic program has booted up for about 5 minutes. Since this error message stays on top, I can move it to the side of the screen and use Logic as if nothing had happened to the program. I can set my transceiver to any spot. I can use the reports. I can manually log a contact. I can use other Logic features. If I close the error message, Logic also closes.

I looked in the Windows Task Manager. It reports that Logic is running. I interconnect my transceiver to Logic via TRX-Manager. I disabled this interface, but I still get the error message. I pass Internet cluster DX spots to Logic via CC User. I disconnected CC User, but still get the error message. I disabled both of these interfaces and closed the two programs. I closed and rebooted Logic without any interface connections. I still get the error message.

Last night, after trying to troubleshoot the problem, I rebooted the computer and booted up Logic. I turned on the interfaces to both TRX-Manager and CC User. I left my computer on overnight. The next day, I did not have the problem. I rebooted the computer and the problem returned.

I read your post about how to boot up both Logic and TRX-Manager in the proper order so that they will work together. This fixed that problem, however I still get the above error. Both TRX-Manager and CC User are working well.

I am sorry that the error message does not add any detail to the problem. Could you comment on the possible fix to this problem?

Thanks,
John
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
IK0CHU
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:00:52 PM(UTC)
RedBaron

Man

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Hi,
I never reported this problem.
Now that someone has pointed out, I add my experiences bringing about.
Windows7 also some sporadic time gave the same problem.
Now with Windows 10 is practically a routine, then the situation has worsened.
From how I understand the problem is procured from the link with the cat of my HF transceiver ICOM.
I use COM1 on the mainboard and COM2 to COM9 using a multiport serial MOXA CP-168U series PCI bus (with 8 COM).
I use COM10 for Masterkeyer MK-1 HamGadgets (FTDI) and COM11 with USB->COM FTDI converter for a second transceiver V-U-SHF ICOM.
Often with Windows10 I have difficulty running Logic because closing the error message window the Logic crash.
Deactivating the CAT COM2 (port1 of MOXA) everything goes perfectly but missing the frequency in the Logic window.
All other devices that use COM Moxa work perfectly.
I tried to change the transfer rate of the transceiver from 19200 to AUTO and seemed to work better but sometimes I had the frequency window of Logic that turned into ****. ****.
Turning the VFO or changing the band the frequency was reactivated, but couldnt work in this way and I preferred to go back to 19200.
Now I live with this problem and I hope that things will change in the future.
The thing I do not understand is that the same COM ports work seamlessly with all logging programs (HRD, DX4WIN, BBLogger, Logger32, EasyLog) and contest programs (WriteLog, WinTest, QARTest, N1MM, N1MM +.
I wanted to ask John K6JJ which transceiver uses, ICOM ??
This subject interests me a lot because I'd like to fix it.
Thanks for the attention.
73's de IKØCHU Mauro
File Attachment(s):
ScreenShot391.jpg (377kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
IKØCHU Mauro
1 user thanked IK0CHU for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 11/6/2015(UTC)
K6JJ
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:02:31 AM(UTC)

Hi Mauro,

Thank you for your DX reply. I wonder if I can get DXCC by email. It might prove easier using that method than my progress by radio on 75M SSB.

My transceiver is an ICOM IC-7700. I have not had this error message problem with any other Windows operating systems, which includes Windows Vista and Windows 7. It started with Windows 10.

At one point, I booted up Logic with all interfaces disconnected and no COM ports in use. This did not fix the problem. I do not know if this problem is related to COM port connections, COM port drivers or something else.

I do not have any ideas about how to cure it. I hope that Dennis will have some advice.

John

1 user thanked K6JJ for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 10/30/2015(UTC)
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 4:43:04 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi John--

Do I understand correctly that LOGic is not using any COM ports, and you still get the error.

If you disable the interface to TRX-Manager, do you no longer get the error? Is CC User sending spots to LOGic? Do I understand correctly that if you do not even run CC User or TRX-Manager, you still get the error?

What happens if you turn off anything in LOGic that is receiving spots?

It's strange that you get the error "LOGic.exe has stopped working" but it is in fact still working. I wonder if two instances are getting started somehow? Look at the task manager before you get the error, and see if there is more than one logic process. Look on the DETAILS tab. There is a logicserver.exe also. That is normal.

Sorry, more questions than answers.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K6JJ
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 1, 2015 4:10:15 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but there is a reason. Yesterday, I rebooted my computer that contains Logic. It did not boot up. In troubleshooting it, I found that the power supply was not turning on. Further investigation showed that the power supply was shutting down immediately after activation. I disconnected components from the power supply, one at a time. I discovered that when I disconnected the two black and yellow wired connectors from the mother board that supplies voltage to the CPU, the fans in the computer case and in the power supply activated. It looks like the CPU has failed. I do not know if this computer problem was causing the Logic problem. There were no other indications that this computer had a problem before it failed.

To answer your questions and as I remember, when I had both CCuser turned off and TRX-Manager disabled in the Logic setup menu, I still had the error message. I could not find a combination of one or the other or both or none that would cure it.

The computer is old enough that I will replace it. However it is going to take some time to get a new model, find or download load and install all of the software programs, do the updates and then do the program setups for some of the programs, such as Logic. As Doctor Smith on the old TV series "Lost in Space" used to say: "The pain, oh the pain".

As soon as I get the new computer up and running, I will see if I still get the Logic problem. I will let you and Mauro know.

John
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 10:48:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

Good detective work!

I got a new computer recently -- an HP Spectre Ultrabook. 13" but 2550x1440 rez. It has no hard drive -- everything is solid-state, and the batteries go for 6 - 8 hours!

I got one of these for use at my operating desk, and don't even have a desktop anymore.
http://www.amazon.com/gp...;ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Don't be afraid to get Win 10.

Dennis WN4aZY
AK4Z
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:06:04 AM(UTC)

Man

A couple weeks ago I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows 10 Home. I was running Logic 9 on an older Windows 7 laptop with no issues. When I installed Logic 9 (and latest upgrade) on my new Dell laptop I consistently experienced the "Logic.exe has stopped working" error message. This message didn't appear immediately. Sometimes Logic 9 runs briefly before the program crashes. It is my general sense that the program crashes are related to running Logic's Terminal window. Today I installed TRX Manager and paired it with Logic 9. I use the Terminal window and Rig Control window in TRX Manager. Logic 9 is now used only for logging, callbook lookup, and prior QSOs. This setup/combination of Logic 9 and TRX Manager is so far very stable under Windows 10. I intend to experiment more with running Logic 9 alone with Windows to better characterize the conditions when I get the "Logic.exe has stopped" error messages. If anyone has experienced and solved this issue your feedback would be appreciated.

John AK4Z
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:39:01 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

Chances are it is an USB=>RS232 adapter that is not compatible with Win 10.

What rig are you running?

You can look in the Event Viewer to sometimes get more info on these terse error messages.
You can probably get more info on the error by looking in the Event Viewer. Type EVENT VIEWER in the Cortana thingy, click on EVENT VIEWER. Click Windows Logs, then Application.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
AK4Z
#9 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2016 7:28:12 AM(UTC)

Man

Dennis thank you for the advice. The rig here is an Elecraft K3 which is upgraded to use a USB port in place of the older DB9 RS232. So no USB to Serial Adapter is being used. I ran Logic 9 this morning until it stopped working. I examined the Event Log in Windows 10 and found the following error at the time Logic stopped working --the faulting module is Logic 9.0.84 and the faulting module is oc30.dll version 3.10.0.0. Just below this Event Log posted aother fault (earlier than the Logic crash time). This fault was to combase.dll vesion 10.0.10586. Logic seemed to run well until I opened the Telenet window and connected to a site. I also was tuning the K3 to listen to stations on 40 meters when the crash occurred. I hope this information will help diagnose what's happening. Again, I am able to use Logic in combination with TRX Manger as described in my earlier post. This problem only happens when I try to run Logic as a stand alone program. I will gladly follow up on any other suggestions you have for troubleshooting.

Regards,

John AK4Z