logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Windows 10 help and discussion
w7gtf
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:36:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and Logic9 will not communicate with TRX manager. After doing the reinstallation of TRX manager that is required by the Win10 upgrade, TRX manager is fine and communicating with my ICOM 7700. However as Logic 9 loads I get the following message: "Cannot open TRX manager link FTMGR.CAT=0" Anyone have a cure for this if they have seen it?

Thanks, Ron W7GTF

8/25/2015

As I fired up Logic 9 and TRX manager today, they are working just fine and communicating just fine. Don't know what miracle happened but I'm happy. BigGrin

1 user thanked w7gtf for this useful post.
wa8mcd on 8/9/2015(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 8:23:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Quote:
I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and Logic9 will not communicate with TRX manager.

Ok, here's the deal. There are two ways to get it to work:

1. The easy way: Let LOGic start TRX-Manager itself. Close TRX-Manager before starting LOGic.

2. The convenient way. Run TRX-Manager as Administrator. You can right-click the TRX-Manager shortcut and select Properties then Compatibility then Run This Program as Administrator. You could also do the same to TRX-Manager.EXE itself.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:48:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

This thread is a central repository for discussing problems and successes with Windows 10 and LOGic, and also other ham radio products and products in the shack.

As expected, the bulk of the calls and emails we have been receiving have been related to Windows driver issues, particularly virtual COM ports that no longer work. Here at WN4AZY, I have not upgraded my main machine to Win 10 because there are problems with the video drivers in my Pluggable-brand docking station when using USB 3. (http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3900-Universal-Docking-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E). While Windows 10 itself has been largely trouble-free so far, please do some research and make sure that your devices and their drivers work on Windows 10.

I am happy to report that FTDI-based USB=>RS232 adapters have so far been trouble-free. FTDI released the drivers for Win 10 the day before Win 10 was released. The two-port model that we sell was totally plug-and-play http://www.hosenose.com/...d.aspx?primarycatid=91.

Unfortunately, we are unable to do anything to LOGic or TRX-Manager to fix Windows 10 driver issues. (Or fortunately? I'm glad I don't have to write separate code for every virtual com port out there). LOGic talks to Windows, and Windows talks to the virtual Com port (VCP) via the driver provided by the manufacturer of the VCP.

Go to the web site of the manufacturer of your VCP. In the case of rigs with a built-in USB CAT interfaces, go to the rig's support page. See if there is a new driver to install.

Try going to the Windows device manager and uninstalling your device. Unplug it and plug it back in. It MIGHT go install the new driver. Nothing to lose, right?

Unfortunately time constraints do not permit us to provide personal one-on-one assistance with driver issues (other than for items purchased from us). Anyone calling or emailing will be referred to this thread. However, feel free to post the particulars of your situation here, and PDA as well as our other contributors will do what we can. By handing driver support here, your questions will help others.

A long-term solution is to simply forget your current VCP hardware, and use FTDI units. FTDI seems to be the only manufacturers of USB=>RS232 adapters that are 100% compatible and support all of the features of the RS-232 standard. As far as I know, all rigs with built-in USB adapters also provide another, more conventional means of interfacing to them. Some have an actual RS-232 port, so all you need to buy is an FTDI USB=>RS232 adapter and a cable. Other rigs need a level converter. We have direct USB interfaces for most everything except Kenwood. With Kenwood, buy a level converter (if required by your model rig) and a USB=>RS232 adapter.

Also, do not forget about built-in RS-232 ports on your motherboard. If you are fortunate enough have one, by all means use it. It doesn't get any better or cheaper than that. Some motherboards have an onboard RS-232 port, but it was not extended to the back panel. Look in the devices section of your BIOS and see if there is a port that can be enabled. Look in the Windows device manager. If the BIOS and device manager say you have a RS-232 port, but there is no 9-pin connector on the back of your computer, you need to find a little cable. I haven't looked for one, but would try my local mom-and-pop computer shop, or eBay.

What is my impression of Windows 10? I haven't used it other than for testing. There is a little learning curve over Win 8.1 when dealing with the "Metro" screen and metro apps or whatever they are calling it now. There is a tablet mode you can turn on and off. In the Windows Desktop mode, you will feel right at home. The Start menu that was removed in Windows 8 (though typically replaced with a third-party addon) is back sort of. And it seems faster.

I will be upgrading my machine after they fix the video driver issues I mentioned earlier, and everything else in the office when I get a round tuit. Remember, you have only a year for your free upgrade from Win 7 or 8 (and Vista maybe?). I would definitely do this, not so much for the features but for continued support and updates. Featurewise, Win 7 is fine for a desktop or laptop without touchscreen or tablet mode. If you have a computer with tablet mode, you probably already have Win 8.1. Microsoft's plan is not releasing any major new versions of Windows. Just ongoing updates. Hopefully this will eliminate the need to redo all the drivers. Windows is or will be licensed for the life of the device it is installed on.

Let me know (here on the forum!) if I can be of help.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 13, 2015 4:50:15 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

More Windows 10 info that was gathered in the past couple days:

Here is the Windows 10 information for TRX-Manager:
http://www.trx-manager.com/support.htm#W10

We tested our all-in-one Icom interface on Windows 10. Since it has an FTDI driver it is no surprise that it works based on our test of the FTDI USB=>RS232 adapters. It was also totally plug-and-play. We haven't tested the Yaesu all-in-one units, but there is no reason they wouldn't work.
http://www.hosenose.com/...mp;PrimaryCatID=45&

When installing Windows 10, there is no guarantee that the same COM port numbers will be assigned to the same devices. So if you get PORT NOT FOUND errors or the interfaces won't talk, check that LOGic is configured to the proper port.

Ross K4VJZ found a very inexpensive USB=>RS232 adapter that we could sell for $12 bucks and still make a killing. He has been using it to program routers. It worked perfectly with LOGic and Windows 10, for about 10 seconds. Then Windows threw an error. Oh well!

Dennis WN4AZY
W5RAE
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:10:18 PM(UTC)

Dennis,

In Windows 10, since Internet Edge is now the preferred browser, Internet Explorer 11.0 now creates error messages on shut-down. Can you change Logic to work with the default browser we have chosen to use, like Firefox or Chrome, rather than IE 11? That save us from having to cancel the IE error messages each time we go to eQSL and LOTW.

Ron
W5RAE
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 2:06:33 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Ron:

Quote:
Internet Explorer 11.0 now creates error messages on shut-down.
Please tell me exactly how to get this error. Do you get it when you shut down LOGic, IE11, or Windows 10?

I am not having any problems here with LOGic and any of it's internet interfaces that use a browser. IE11 is still installed on my machine. I am not sure if that is by virtue of the fact that I did an in-place upgrade, or if it is still part of Windows. Is yours a new Win 10 install?

According to this, IE is still a part of Windows 10 by default.
http://news.softpedia.co...windows-10-488800.shtml
It can be removed, and it looks like it could easily be added back.

http://www.cnet.com/news...-its-new-edge-browser/#!
According to this article, Microsoft pulled a lot of interfacing capabilities out of Edge, apparently including the one LOGic uses. If it were still there, Edge would run when LOGic requests a browser to do something just like all the newer version of Internet Explorer have. I don't know where that leaves us.

There is a third-party plugin for FireFox. I kinda hate to go that way because it is something that everyone will have to install and may not want. If it can be done with Edge, that would be better since all IE10 users have it already. Of course it will be years before Win 7 & 8 go away....

Let me know.

Tnx for using LOGic & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W5RAE
#7 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2015 3:33:58 PM(UTC)

Hey Denis,

I only get the IE error messages when I close the download or upload eQSL and LOTW screens. Logic stays running fine and is unaffected so it is more of an annoyance than a system error. Just thought that since software with add-ins doesn't work with Edge any more and wants you to pick another default browser I thought maybe Logic could become browser independent and know which one it was suppose to talk to and how to do that. On the second link you sent, it says that Chrome is now the major browser, followed by IE and then Firefox. Just my thoughts.

Ron
W5RAE
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:54:58 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, let me figure out why IE11 is erroring. That is our best bet, since it is still included with Windows by default.

I'm not even sure if Chrome even provides the level of interface capability we need. You not only need to programmatically send it to a URL (which I'm pretty sure could be done), but read data from the web pages as well.

We are getting away from browser dependency as much as possible. For instance, the QRZ Subscription and HamCall uses low-level http calls. The new DX Summit interface will not use a browser. But for QRZ.COM a browser will always be necessary due to the required login and maintaining a session. QRZ.COM isn't designed to be accessed programmatically and the interface will never be 100% clean anyway. Other features such as OPEN LOTW SITE IN BROWSER, while not a showstopper if it were to disappear, will obviously require some browser interaction if we keep that feature. Remember, it needs to not only go to the URL but log in.

UPDATE 8/21/15

I cannot get any errors even when using QRZ.COM, Lotw, or eQSL. Please describe the errors you are getting in more detail.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 4:38:06 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

"Net Framework 2 Not Installed" error

We got one call about this.

The solution is to go to the Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features On and Off, and enable .Net Framework 3.5. (That is not a typo. .Net 3.5 is built on .Net 2.0, so 2.0 will be installed also.)

WN4AZY
ZL4AS
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:08:44 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello Dennis

I too am having ongoing problems under Windows 10.

Since I switched to Windows 10 back last July, I have had a continuing problem with LOGic that you may be able to help me with. Updating LOGic variously in the interim has not helped.

Almost every day at some time a window opens to tell me that LOGic has stopped working and will close down.

I have puzzled over this for a long time trying to determine if there is a common factor but I’m still uncertain.

My system is Windows 10. I use Firefox Mozilla as my browser. The computer is always connected to my radio via a USB serial converter, and yes it is one supplied by you.

While the problem arises at various times, the most frequent sequence that leads to it is as follows:

Almost daily I export an ADIF of my most recent data to ClubLog. During this I have LOGic (currently version 9.0.82) running to allow preparation of the ADIF file. I open the ClubLog Upload page, select the export.adi file and upload it. Most times I close the browser and carry on with whatever I’m doing. About 3 to 5 minutes later the program closure window opens, usually without me having done anything at all. Immediately upon closing this window, LOGic closes. So I then have to Clean and re-index to get going again. Thank goodness I have an SSD which means the process is quite fast, but still most annoying.

I have read your comments in this topic (above) and cannot deduce a solution. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks and regards

Cliff Gray, ZL4AS
Cliff Gray ZL4AS

QRZ info
WN4AZY
#11 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 2:37:57 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Cliff:

Thanks for your note.

Errors in LOGic with Win 10 are almost always related to RS-232 serial port drivers that are not Windows 10 compatible. But if you got them from us, they are FTDI, and should be good. Check the device manager and see if the COM ports that LOGic is using indeed has FTDI drivers. We have had cases where customers had other devices around the shack that they ended up using by mistake.

Also try uninstalling the USB=>RS232 devices from the device manager, then unplug them and plug them in again so the drivers update.

Quote:
Almost daily I export an ADIF of my most recent data to ClubLog. During this I have LOGic (currently version 9.0.82) running to allow preparation of the ADIF file. I open the ClubLog Upload page, select the export.adi file and upload it. Most times I close the browser and carry on with whatever I’m doing. About 3 to 5 minutes later the program closure window opens, usually without me having done anything at all. Immediately upon closing this window, LOGic closes. So I then have to Clean and re-index to get going again. Thank goodness I have an SSD which means the process is quite fast, but still most annoying.

I suspect this is a coincidence. LOGic doesn't know or care about FireFox.

You can probably get more info on the error by looking in the Event Viewer. Type EVENT VIEWER in the Cortana thingy, click on EVENT VIEWER. Click Windows Logs, then Application.

What sort of rig do you have? We have been wrestling with some low-level COM port issues that seem to occur only or at least more frequently with the Elecraft K3.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
ZL4AS
#12 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 4:23:25 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks Dennis

I do have several USB/Serial cables in the shack but I bought three of the ones you supply and the one I am using is quite definitely one of those three. In fact, I swapped it out to try a totally different one and the "different" one failed!

I will try the uninstall/reinstall procedure.

"What sort of rig do you have? We have been wrestling with some low-level COM port issues that seem to occur only or at least more frequently with the Elecraft K3." Yes sir, it is indeed an Elecraft K3.

73, Cliff ZL4AS
Cliff Gray ZL4AS

QRZ info
W5GA
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:44:57 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Cliff, a known problem is if you run reports with the spot log/telnet windows open. Causes this exact failure. No idea what if anything Dennis may be doing about it.