logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Recovering log data from a dead computer to a new machine
n3irj
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:49:40 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

My 5 year old HP desktop died--mostly. Running Vista 64 Ultimate. I'm running Logic 9 installed early 2012.

I can access the HD in Safe Mode so I can see/copy the Logic folder under Program Files.

I also did a backup so I have the following files:

EXPORT.ADI
EXPORT.CSV
EXPORT.TAB
EXPORT.XML
LOGBACKUP5.PDABACKUP

But that may not be the latest as the log.dbf file in the Logic folder has a later date.

*** Could I run Logic in Safe Mode and do another backup just in case? I cannot run the machine in Normal mode as it freezes instantly.

I now have a new desktop running Windows 7 64 Home Premium and have migrated most of my data from the old machine to the new one.

Except Logic.

So I'd like to know what my options are.

I have looked around the forum and there seems to be at least two ways:

(1) Copy my Logic folder over to the new machine and then install Logic then the latest upgrade.
(2) Install Logic and use the backup to get my log data.

I have moved the W1GEE USB Icom C-IV and RS-232 CW Keyer interfaces over to the new machine and they work FB. Ran the contest over the weekend and they were flawless. So no worries there.

Finally, I was browsing the FAQ and see that the upgrades are free for a year and then it's $36/yr afterwards. I did not purchase the subscription when my 1 year expired in 2013. May I purchase that now??? I don't want to grab the latest upgrade unless I have a right to do it. I would like to get the sub.

Okay, that's it. Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Vy 73,

Mark N3IRJ

SK dit dit
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:34:29 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

You are running Win7 on the new machine, have not mentioned how you are running - "as administrator", or " as a user". You are running Vista on the old machine, so I am going to assume you already understand what to do with "administrator".

Install the same version of LOGic on the new machine.

Copy the directory structure from the old machine over the top of the directory structure on the new machine.

Run CLEAN on the new machine.

Start LOGic.

You should see everything from the old machine.

Apply any updates you wish to apply. Backup the new installation.

Remember - the "LOGic backup", Tools, Backup/Restore, will only backup your LOG. To backup all the other items - log user fields, reports, award lists etc, you need to periodically copy the entire folder structure.

This process works because ... When you install LOGic, all the necessary registrations of programs, modules, DLLs, is made with Windows. When you copy the same version from the old computer, over the top of the new installation, those "registrations" are unaffected. Windows is oblivious to the change, provided it is the SAME VERSION of LOGic.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
n3irj
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 4:11:19 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your reply!

I am running as admin on the machine. Less secure but makes using ham radio software a lot easier to do.

I have the disk PDA sent me so I can install the same version--except I don't know what updates, if any, I applied afterwards. This might be an issue.

So if I understand you correctly...

I install Logic FIRST.

Then I copy the entire Logic folder/subfolders over that install. Correct?

Then I run CLEAN. <<-- What is that exactly? A utility?

Start Logic for the first time. Check logs and so on.

Then apply updates.

That's the process?

Guess I should call PDA and send 'em the $36 so I can get the latest and greatest.

I like your plan of periodically saving the entire folder structure. I'll have to do that from now on.

Vy 73,

Mark N3IRJ
vk4iu
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:48:31 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

CLEAN is the LOGic tool that comes with LOGic. Use it from the Start menu, just the same way you start LOGic. CLEAN removes, and causes to be rebuilt, all the index information about your log and associated tables and databases. It is the FIRST "self help" thing you should do whenever you have a problem with LOGic

You need not worry about the old updates, just install from the CD, and copy your old data over the top. Any updates you applied to the old installation will come across with it to the new machine.

Running the LOGic CLEAN tool is an important step. Do not skip it.

... and do not forget to correct your old habits. Take a LOGic log backup whenever you change your log - after your operating, or QSL, session, and make a copy of the entire folder structure whenever you change the award lists, the prefix table, any reports etc, etc. Hopefully to an external USB style disk, or memory stick. You should keep at least 6 months worth of backup.

Best practice is to have a small paper notebook, and record the nature of your activity with LOGic, and note what backup you make. For example ...

28/11/14 23:10 Starting the CQ WW CW.
29/11/14 23:30 Too tired - log b/up 2323
30/11/2014 06:00 Back at the contest
1/12/14 01:00 Ended the contest. Best effort yet. B/U 00:45 Full copy.
3/12/14 Uploaded my logs to CQ. Exported to eQSL, LOTW. B/U 10:10
3/12/14 Imported eQSLs, LOTw. B/U 12:10 with eQSL PICs.
4/12/14 Ran 10 meters for several hours. Worked VK for the first time. B/U 23:23
5/12/14 Install VK4IUs contest reports and log fieds reports. B/U 21:10 Full copy.
5/12/14 New QSL cards. Processed 247 cards. B/U 23:24.

... then when you destroy your log by what ever means, you know what is in the backup files, and which ones to restore, in what order.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.