logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Lists of valid values - list name, description and references.
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 10:46:27 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Dennis,

I wonder if it is possible to create something to hold the reference material for a "list" in the lists table. The current arrangement contains only info for the values of a list, not the list itself.

Clearly, the Lists table is also used to hold "generated lists" - like 1010# - in the award update process, not just lists I import or create - so called Edited Lists.

Also one would need to make sure it was integrated somehow into the process of using "Database commands" to import data. I guess that would imply a specifc button on the "lists dialogue" to avoid the use of user generated database commands. Alternativly, a process to subsequently update the description and reference material.

I have to admit that some of the lists now in my Lists table I created - but, it can be a long time ago and I forget exactly what I did or where I got the lists. Also as I look to update some of the lists, I have no knowledge of where to look. I wondered what WASA was, and have chased for a little while with only broken links to follow. Clearly the number of cities in Sweden does not change much. Another example ... what is, and where do I get updates for, the WHLA list - whatever it is. I think it might be lighthouses, some where.

If there was a place to put additional material, linked somehow off the Lists table that had a "description" of the "list" and the reference material for it, life could be a little easier.

Low priority. Nice to have, but low priority.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:50:05 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi--

Right -- the lists table is the detail info. The HEADER or MASTER info is in tools/setup/log fields. So you can put info about the list itself here.

The problem is that simply importing a list does not update the log fields table.

Maybe we can do the list import and export in XML or something, and then we can have a place to store info about the field itself. You import the list and it creates or updates the log fields table itself.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
vk4iu
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:28:20 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
... I'm getting too old too fast.

Now you point it out, it is so obvious. I can even see the entries I have made for myself.

I had no memory of that material whatever ... until the instant I read you reply. I guess because the ones I use the most have always been there and I never have the need to look at the data for the "user-field" entry. Yet another reminder that ones memory gets "different" as one gets older. I am reminded of ... "Out of sight, out of mind".

Using XML for import would be a nice idea. I guess that would move the problem to "parsing the list" from the source data - there are so many "formats" to choose from. But, that's a chore one needs solve anyway.

Do you have any reference material about the lists provided with Logic for which there is no "user-field" with reference data?

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:15:39 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Quote:
Do you have any reference material about the lists provided with Logic for which there is no "user-field" with reference data?

No, sorry -- the data in the database is all I have.

The only ones I am finding with no comment that are not obvious are:

DXEU
WAJA http://www.qsl.net/ae0q/awards/waja.htm

If anyone knows anything about DXEU let me know! There are no detail records for it so maybe we just should kill it.

Tnx & 73,

DH