logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New call entry made easier
N7IP
#1 Posted : Friday, December 14, 2012 12:42:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hi Dennis. There are a couple opportunities to make new call entry a lot more user friendly. First, there is a mode where the cursor is in the CALL window but the program does not accept input--it just ignores it. That's when the "+" button has not been pressed. I get trapped by this all the time. The fix would be to accept input when the cursor is in the CALL window without requiring the + button to be pressed.

Another great improvement would be to do realtime lookups of calls as entered, just like Google does on search terms. For example: Put in the prefix and DXCC info would be displayed in the progress windows. You might also look up the call after waiting a little bit to make sure the whole call has bveen entered. That way a lookup could be displayed in the browser before the TAB key is pressed. That would change the meaning of TAB slightly--we'd only hit it if we actually engaged in a QSO. To see where I've worksed someone, I need to hit TAB. If I decide not to pursue this QSO, I need to back out of the log transaction. This is something I do a lot--put in call to see if I've worked the guy on xx band.

I also find many inacuracies when Logic sets the freq of the sub rcvr from the spot log. I've used TRX Mgr and it does a great job at this, but Logic seems to be inconsistent. It happens often enough that I have grown to not trust Logic in setting the second rcvr. I haven't studied it, but if the TRX algorithms were used, I suspect it would help accuracy in Logic--and again streamline ops for everyone.

Still, you've got a great program in Logic!!

Bob, N7IP
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 8:15:21 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Quote:
First, there is a mode where the cursor is in the CALL window but the program does not accept input--it just ignores it. That's when the "+" button has not been pressed. I get trapped by this all the time. The fix would be to accept input when the cursor is in the CALL window without requiring the + button to be pressed.

It sounds like you have not yet entered the first QSO in the log. If you had a QSO (or more than one) already in the log, and did not added a new record, a previous QSO would be under the cursor, and your typing would edit the callsign of the QSO displayed on the log form.

You can Press {Ctrl+N} to add a new QSO, or the {Enter} key can be configured to do this. See Log/Setup.

Quote:
Another great improvement would be to do realtime lookups of calls as entered, just like Google does on search terms. For example: Put in the prefix and DXCC info would be displayed in the progress windows. You might also look up the call after waiting a little bit to make sure the whole call has bveen entered. That way a lookup could be displayed in the browser before the TAB key is pressed. That would change the meaning of TAB slightly--we'd only hit it if we actually engaged in a QSO. To see where I've worksed someone, I need to hit TAB. If I decide not to pursue this QSO, I need to back out of the log transaction. This is something I do a lot--put in call to see if I've worked the guy on xx band.

I see merit to this. The only problem would be callbook lookup -- it is done in background mode since it can take some time when doing an internet lookup. It takes just pressing {Esc} to back out.

Quote:
I also find many inacuracies when Logic sets the freq of the sub rcvr from the spot log. I've used TRX Mgr and it does a great job at this, but Logic seems to be inconsistent. It happens often enough that I have grown to not trust Logic in setting the second rcvr. I haven't studied it, but if the TRX algorithms were used, I suspect it would help accuracy in Logic--and again streamline ops for everyone.

Ok, what radio do you have, what driver are you using, and tell me a little more about the inaccuracy.

Quote:
Still, you've got a great program in Logic!!

Thanks! We try.

Dennis
N7IP
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:25:37 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis, here are comments on the three topics above:

1. When Logic starts, why not have it ready to accept call entry? But pressing ESC after entering a call and TAB puts Logic into this mode too--where, when you enter the next call and enter TAB, no lookup takes place. Worse, if you hit "+" at that point, the contact is logged with no info and the wrong freq (ie, Logic does not look at the rig's freq before saving the QSO). My feeling is that if the cursor is in the CALL box, Logic should do everything with that QSO just like it would if the "+" button were hit previouosly.

2. It would be great to have the prefix lookup immediately and I think the couple-second callbook lag would be fine--your users understand that it takes a little time to get info off the Internet.

3. I have a K3 (serial info comes from the rig to the PC thru a remoterig driver) and an ic7800 (CI-v thru a Microham box to the serial port of the PC--Eltima driver). I'll post some examples for you after I gather several of them.

Bob
N7IP
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:37:03 PM(UTC)

One example of the sub rcvr not being set at all is if the spot comment field contains only the freq., nothing else.
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:56:13 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Quote:
1. When Logic starts, why not have it ready to accept call entry? But pressing ESC after entering a call and TAB puts Logic into this mode too--where, when you enter the next call and enter TAB, no lookup takes place. Worse, if you hit "+" at that point, the contact is logged with no info and the wrong freq (ie, Logic does not look at the rig's freq before saving the QSO). My feeling is that if the cursor is in the CALL box, Logic should do everything with that QSO just like it would if the "+" button were hit previouosly.

Ok, I like the idea. The new upload we are working on getting posted today does that. You add a new record, and the Info window, map, other QSOs, Progress 1 & 2 update as soon as you enter the call. Thanks for the suggestion!

{Esc} Backs out of the current Add or Update. It doesn't prevent any future lookups or anything.

Quote:
One example of the sub rcvr not being set at all is if the spot comment field contains only the freq., nothing else.

Right -- it has to say QSX or UP or something. I see just a number, what do I do with that? I guess I could check it against the band table to see if it is in the current band segment.

Tnx again & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY