logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Updating the LoTW Membership List
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2024 12:12:34 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Its been a long time since I tried to update the LoTW membership list. Just how does it work now?? Used to be you could update the list by going to Tools/Internet/Import LoTW Membership List. I think I recall there were some issues with not having a viable ARRL LoTW site location to download from. Is it now that you have to download a csv file then import that list manually ??

Sorry, just been too long since I tried updating this list.

73, Brad K8ZM
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2024 2:45:11 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi--

Make sure the URL in LOGic is set to http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw/lotw1.txt

It works.

I verified that link is good from here:
http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw-users-list

Full list, for RXCLUS < 8.5h
Text (1 call/line, no rem's)

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2024 10:05:35 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Hi Dennis !!

Ok, so I changed the URL. When I hit the download icon it appears to do something for about a second then LOGic pops up a window saying "LoTW Import Compelete" with a "Total records" and "New Records" count. Problem is the "Total records" count is only 2 and the "New records" count is 0. Is that correct ??

Heres a snipit....

Brad, K8ZM

PS; I went to the Membership Lists and LOTW USER then did a count. It shows a total of 157,515, 2 Not Deleted and 157,513 Deleted.....Confused
Snipit attached.
File Attachment(s):
Issue-20240312-LoTW Users Import.png (28kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
W5GA
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2024 4:41:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 98 post(s)
HB9BZA isn't updating his list anymore, and refers you to the ARRL list. http://www.hb9bza.net/ne...es-full-list-lotw-users

https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-user-activity.csv

73 Doug W5GA
1 user thanked W5GA for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 3/15/2024(UTC)
K8ZM
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2024 9:05:40 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Hi Doug, hope you are well !!

I thought so too but the .csv file either from ARRL or HB9BZA are the same and match with his text file version. All three files have 200,899 entries.
For those that dont know the difference, the text file includes callsigns only whereas the .csv version includes last LoTW upload date and time for each callsign.

73, Brad K8ZM
2 users thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
W5GA on 3/15/2024(UTC), WN4AZY on 3/15/2024(UTC)
K8ZM
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2024 2:09:24 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

I edited most of this post out, basically nothing was working to update this list but I was FINALLY able to get a call added by using a value other than Y. That told me LOGic doesnt like something in the entry line, maybe its that 99% of the LOTW USER list somehow got marked deleted. Anyways, knowing that LOGic could actually change the list I created a 4 call list tab delineated with the header CALL <TAB> VALUE, the list was CALL <TAB> Y. For all the previous attempts to import a list I selected Update the list and add entries, this time I selected Delete and replace the list and that worked !! So I now had 4 calls in the list, the list count was 4 and zero were marked deleted. I then went to Tools/Internet and again tried to import HB9BZA's txt file, this time it worked. LOGics window actually displayed the list (which it didnt do before) and processed all 200,899 entries.

The list is now updated with correct counts and zero marked deleted. Hopefully this will work again when the list gets updated.

It would be nice to import the csv file and extract the "Last LoTW Upload Date", maybe mapping it to the Comment field. I suppose one could do that now, take the csv file, add a VALUE column, delete the time column, and have the header be CALL, VALUE, COMMENT, (K8ZM, Y, 03/16/2024). Although I think LOGic if sees a different value in the comment field it may add a duplicate entry with the different date, i.e., if anyone's upload date changes LOGic will create a new line entry with the new date (??)

73, de Brad K8ZM
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 3/17/2024(UTC)
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2024 5:03:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Some notes on all this:

LOGic starts the import by marking all entries as deleted, then undeleting any that are in the list. I am not sure why K8ZM was getting only 2 records. The URL was missing the WWW in the screen shot, but that doesn't seem to matter here. Maybe they temporarily had a bad file on their server. The http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw/lotw1.txt file is definitely OK here.

Quote:
It would be nice to import the csv file and extract the "Last LoTW Upload Date", maybe mapping it to the Comment field. I suppose one could do that now, take the csv file, add a VALUE column, delete the time column, and have the header be CALL, VALUE, COMMENT, (K8ZM, Y, 03/16/2024). Although I think LOGic if sees a different value in the comment field it may add a duplicate entry with the different date, i.e., if anyone's upload date changes LOGic will create a new line entry with the new date (??
) I will upgrade it to handle either lotw1.txt or lotw-user-activity.csv, putting the timestamp in Comments as you suggest.

No, differing comments will not cause duplicates to be imported. One record per callsign is the rule.

Thanks for your help with this.

DH WN4AZY
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
K8ZM on 3/17/2024(UTC)
K8ZM
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 17, 2024 10:47:39 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Hi Dennis !!

I never knew or noticed it marked them deleted before importing, thanks for sharing that !! When I was playing around trying different solutions I had the date map to the VALUE field, but that field if different than the initial entry would duplicate the entry with the 2nd entry having the new date so I wasn't sure if the comment field would do the same thing.

Anyways, thanks for considering the csv file and also the dates/times. I would say you could probably ignore the time and just map the date, I doubt anyone would care.

Regardless, not sure what I did to help but thanks as always !!

Brad, K8ZM
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 3/22/2024(UTC)