logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Problems with 9.0.38
AA7XT
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:53:27 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Appreciate advice on solving the following issues:

(1) Band map is unusable with Skimmer spots activated. Two issues: (1) in periods of high activity the old spots - the ones with with red xxxs in the age field instead of the green bar - seem to stay on the map and eventually the band map becomes huge with most of the spots red xxxed, and (2) since the band map jumps to each new spot it is virtually impossible to use the scroll bar to look at spots above or below where the currently visible part of the band map, since new spots make the band map jerk all over the place.

(2) Slow response when logging: sometimes have to wait for 30 seconds or more after entering a callsign in the Log - Main window Call field before I can enter any further data.

(3) If I leave the program running when the computer goes into sleep mode it will almost certainly be unresponsive when I awaken the computer requiring ctrl-alt-del to terminate the program. I am using Win XP with all updates on a reasonably fast PC.

(4) I cannot find a report that will show me my band countries worked and confirmed including deleted DXCC. Is there such a report?

(5) Clicking on a cluster spot takes my K3 to the right frequency but very often with the wrong mode. In other words, a 10m SSB spot will set my rig to CW and vice versa.

(6) The program loses connectivity with the K3 frequently and has to be closed and reopened to regain the rig connection.

(7) I have used AA6TT, AA6TT/1 and AA6TT/0 on the air in years past before switching to NT1Y and now AA7XT. I logged all of these as AA6TT on my logging software. The ARRL doesn't care about portable designations within the same DXCC country for award purposes and I only singed portable on the air when a particular contest required same (as I was operating from a permanent QTH in a call district different from where I was originally licensed, this is OK by FCC rules). When I download a LOTW confirmation for say AA6TT/0 it is not matched in LOGic even though LoTW shows a match. Is there a workaround? Since I made many thousand contest QSOs esp. with AA6TT/0 this is a serious headache.

Thanks
Bill AA7XT
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
AA7XT
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 4:48:26 PM(UTC)

I should have added to my post that I am getting frequent Program Errors. For example, LOGic just crashed with the Program Error "String is too long to fit." Have to Ctrl-Alt-Del LOGic and restart.

Is there a fix?

Bill AA7XT
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 6:26:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Bill:

Thanks for your note.

1. Sorry, I don't know what Skimmer Spots are. Somehing is wrong, though -- the spots with a crosshatched age bar may show up for a few seconds, but that just means they are in the queue to be deleted, and the SHOULD be deleted in a few seconds.

Is the band map tracking the radio? The radio should stay in the viewport at all times. I don't really know what it does if you are running it without the radio interfaced.

2. Haven't run into this either. Pse get the latest update. We are on .40 now (actually .41 as as of a few minutes ago). I'm hoping it's tied into the K3 problems or something that has been fixed.

3. Or this. You can kill it from the task manaer, right? (You aren't rebooting Windows, right?).

4. Reports/Awards/All Band and Mode Progress report is one way to do it. The AWARDS report will run a single band.

5 & 6. The K3 was fixed weeks ago. Pse download the latest update.

7. We will be addressing this. I think just ignoring /# where # is any digit when comparing should do it, right?

On the errors, please get the latest update then we can address these if they still exist. In particular, any info that would help me reproduce the error.

Tnx & 73,

DH

Glad to see that they are displaying relevant ads now. I'm seeing a Tektroncs ad now, and saw an ad for a high-end broadcast receiver earlier.
AA7XT
#4 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:43:13 AM(UTC)

OK, I have updated to .41 now. I looked for updates a few days ago and didn't see anything newer than .38.

Skimmer is CW Skimmer. Skimmers generate a huge number of CW spots and many Cluster SysOps give users the option to switch off Skimmer spots. The LOGic band map seems to get overwhelmed with Skimmer spots during high activity periods such as contests. I like Skimmer spots and always leave this option on at the Cluster end.

Band Map will stay centered on the rig band - assuming it hasn't lost connectivity with my K3 - but this doesn't help me if I want to look at activity on other bands on the Band Map before QSYing. New spots coming into the Band Map at high speed make browsing the Band Map impossible.

I am still getting frequent mode errors when grabbing spots from the Band Map and QSYing my K3. For example, I just clicked on EI7IS on 14.0175 and the rig was set to the correct freq but in USB.

I ran the ALL BAND AND MODE SUMMARY and am not sure what this is reporting? Does this include or exclude deleted DXCC. Also, it doesn't give me a total DXCC worked, it seems I have to manually add figures to get that statistic. Lastly, all the Unconfirmed and Unworked fields have three asterisks *** in them instead of numbers, why?

There seems to be a lag between a spot coming thru on Telnet and it being displayed on the Band Map. Is this true? If so, why? I would like to see spots ASAP.

Bill AA7XT
WN4AZY
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:57:23 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

These skimmer spots, is a computer scannig the band and analyzing CW data? I am aware of the CW Skimmer program, but was not aware that it could generate spots. Cool.

Ok, I think we need some sort of display lock feature on the band map, possibly with an auto timeout feature. So say you manually scroll around, the display does not get updated until say 15 seconds after you stop scrolling -- something like that. What are your thoughts?

I wonder of the problem of QSYing is the K3 or the band map? Did the band map show CW as the mode for EI7IS on 14.075.

Use the DXCC ALL BAND AND MODE report, not the SUMMARY. The summary is just the bottom of the ALL BAND AND MODE report I think. I didn't write it. Deleted entities are normally included. They count for DXCC, after all. However, they are ommitted using subaward filtering for DX Challenge. Look at the DXCC entry in tools/setup/log fields if you are curious.

I am not seeing any delay to the band map when receiving Telnet spots. It updates faster than the spot log itself. All spots go thru the spotlog, and the spotlog sends them on to the band map. It shouldn't matter where the spot comes from. If you do a test spot from the Options page, is there a delay getting to the band map?

Tnx & 73,

DH
AA7XT
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:03:59 AM(UTC)

The display lock is a good idea.

The EI7IS spot was on 14.0175 not 14.075 and I don't recall any indication on the spot that it was anything but CW. I could have cited a number of other examples with improper modes - happens maybe 1/3rd of the time.

I looked for the DXCC ALL BAND AND MODE report under the Reports menu under All Reports and did not see it. Where is this report if not under 'All Reports'?

Bill AA7XT
AA7XT
#7 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 7:20:37 AM(UTC)

While waiting for a response to the issues I posted here about a couple of days ago I continued to look for the report that shows me how many DXCC with deleted countries I've worked and confirmed by band and discovered that some reports crash LOGic causing it to "improperly shutdown"

I also am having frequent & serious response issues when trying to log a station in the Log - MAIN window. I try typing in the the Call or RST sent fields (usually the first ones I fill out) and nothing happens for up to 45 seconds

Help!
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 6:05:16 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

The All Band and Mode Awards Progress report is best accessed by Reports/Awards. It is the third one down on my setup. But if you want a COUNT of deleted this won't give it to you. Use the plain old AWARDS report for this. Or if all you want is a count and don't care about a paper copy per se, this is best done from Forms/Progress List.

Sorry, but I have no idea why yours is delaying after entering RST. The delay after the call could be caused by a problem with a web callbook. Try turning off auto callbook lookup in log/setup. If that turns out to be it, turn off the callbooks one-by-one in Forms/Callbooks/Setup. In fact, France went offline. Turn it off first. But that would only cause a problem for French calls of course. Maybe the best thing to do is call me and I can log in and take a look.

I don't have a K3 but will see if I can get my rig to set the wrong mode from the band map. Does it work OK from the spot log?

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

AA7XT
#9 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 6:10:18 PM(UTC)

Regarding DXCC Band Totals, I would like to see how many DXCC countries I have worked, including deleted DXCCs, by band. A total for 6m, a total for 10m, and so on. I can't find this anywhere I believe I have looked everywhere you have directed me.

If I select the report Reports / Awards / all band and mode progress / DXCC I get error message:

ERROR#:11 Message: Function argument value, type or count is invald Line# in (memory variable): 25 ...

I have the same problem with modes when selecting spots from the Spot Log.

I continue to have LOGic crashing frequently, my guess once every two days.

During the WPX contest last weekend I had the problem with the band map filling up with spots that have all red bars and should be deleted from the list but just stay there. I took a picture of this with my phone and can email it to you if you like

Logging WPX in LOGic was too slow for contesting so I downloaded N1MM Logger for the contest and it worked fine, no delays and no problems with the K3.

I am still waiting for a suggestion on how to handle the 8000 or so QSOs that did not import from DXbase 2007 and also the LoTW portable designator matching issue.

Bill AA7XT

WN4AZY
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:11:21 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Originally Posted by: AA7XT Go to Quoted Post
Regarding DXCC Band Totals, I would like to see how many DXCC countries I have worked, including deleted DXCCs, by band. A total for 6m, a total for 10m, and so on. I can't find this anywhere I believe I have looked everywhere you have directed me.

Click Forms. Click Progress List. Select DXCC as the award. Fill in the band and mode, or leave blank for all bands or all modes. Select 6M for example. Click NEXT.

Now you see a grid with each country listed, the QSL status, and whether ir not it is deleted or not. You also get counts of Total, Worked, Confirmed, etc etc. with a second column for DELETED.

If I select the report Reports / Awards / all band and mode progress / DXCC I get error message:

ERROR#:11 Message: Function argument value, type or count is invald Line# in (memory variable): 25 ...

Please close Telnet, DX Summit, or DX Scape.

I have the same problem with modes when selecting spots from the Spot Log.

I continue to have LOGic crashing frequently, my guess once every two days.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by "problem with modes". You get the same error #11 Function argument....?

During the WPX contest last weekend I had the problem with the band map filling up with spots that have all red bars and should be deleted from the list but just stay there. I took a picture of this with my phone and can email it to you if you like.

Sure, I might see something. Do spots NEVER delete?

Logging WPX in LOGic was too slow for contesting so I downloaded N1MM Logger for the contest and it worked fine, no delays and no problems with the K3.

Was Auto Callbook Lookup turned off in LOGic?

I am still waiting for a suggestion on how to handle the 8000 or so QSOs that did not import from DXbase 2007 and also the LoTW portable designator matching issue.

Ok, I don't recall anything about that now. Did we discuss this, or are you referring to other correspondance?

I think the best thing to do would be to talk by phone. I will call you this evening or next, or feel free to call me.

Thanks for the reminder on the portable match issue. I am working on it and it should be in the next update.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
AA7XT
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:16:43 AM(UTC)

My telnet connection just crashed with the error message "String is too long to fit." This has happened several times before. This requires LOGic to be closed and restarted. When restarted I get the message "Improper shutdown detected".

Problem with modes means when I click on a sport my K3 is sent to the correct frequency but with the wrong mode. You asked me whether it happens in both the Band Map and the Spot Log so I tested the Spot Log and found the same errors there.

The import problem I referred to in the posting we discussed on the telephone. I had a logging program for contests which put the operator's call in the operator field (note NOT the station callsign used) during multi-op contests. For example, operated CQWW Phone with the call NT1Y and some of the QSOs were made by KL2A. KL2A was put in the operator field and this was imported into DXbase without issue years ago. Now that I have retired DXBase in favor of LOGic several thousand (maybe 8000?) QSOs were not imported because of the guest operator calls in the operator field. Once again, please note these are NOT the callsigns used on the air. This has resulted in a vast number of LoTW QSO confirmations from LoTW Website which are confirmed @ LoTW but the QSOs longer appear in my logbook since I migrated from DXbase to LOGic.

Yes, I don't use Auto Callbook because it really slows down LOGic and also pops up a window that's hard to get rid of.

Sometimes Band Map fills up and the spots never delete until I close and restart the program. Other times seems to work OK.

I see now how the Awards Progress List works however is this the only report that gives band totals with deleted DXCCs? I would have to run the report 10 times and manually write down each total to have a complete HF+6m report.

LOGic sometimes loses connectivity with the K3. I believe I mentioned this before and it still goes on - updating LOGic to 9.0.41 hasn't fixed that issue.

Call me anytime.

Bill
AA7XT
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 7:29:18 PM(UTC)

I keep getting "String is too long to fit" errors if I let LOGic run for a while.

Band map response frequently gets so slow as to not be usable (for example, click on a spot - nothing happens).

LOGic frequently drops communication with K3.

Any progress on these?

Bill AA7XT
WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:38:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
I keep getting "String is too long to fit" errors if I let LOGic run for a while.

I thought we fixed this whenwe talked. Click Log/Setup and tab thru all the function key fields and copy from prev QSOs to make sure the expressions are valid. The form will not accept an invalid expression. Somehow people manage to save bad expressions anyway. If someone can show me how I'll fix it hihi.

Quote:
Band map response frequently gets so slow as to not be usable (for example, click on a spot - nothing happens).

Are you still sending skimmer spots to it? How many spots would you estimate are in the band map? If the timed-out spots are not getting deleted, there would be a huge number soon, which would explan the slowness. We need to figure out why they aren't geting deleted. When we call next time I will take a closer look at this. Some spot sources send the time posted with the spot and if that's wrong and I am using that time, it could explain it. I'll check the code to make sure we are using the system clock only for aging.

Quote:
LOGic frequently drops communication with K3.

Do you get a TIMEOUT message? Does Tools/reset rig and rotor resurrect it? Does it time out only when xmitting (I'm wondering about RFI). Make sure you are using the new K3 driver. It seems to be solid now.

Tnx & 73,

DH
AA7XT
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:55:25 AM(UTC)

The string is too long to fit error occurs only when I am away from the computer and rig. I suspect its related to spotting.

Yes, I am still acquiring Skimmer spots. I'll try to count the band map next time I have the issue.

I do not get a TIMEOUT message when I lose K3 connectivity. I have tried the Tools/reset but will do that next time.

Bill