logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Decent autoranging true RMS multimeter for $10!
WN4AZY
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 10:21:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Check this out!

https://amzn.to/3yWhy4T

The price is listed as $20, but apply the coupon code and it is only $10.

I haven't seen it. From the web site, it looks decent. I ordered one just now. At any rate, it is returnable.

This is an affiliate link. If you order using this link, we will make a commission. It does not affect your cost.

Thanks & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
W5GA
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 10, 2021 8:32:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 97 post(s)
How was this meter, Dennis?

73 Doug W5GA
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Monday, October 11, 2021 8:02:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
I like it. Unfortunately it is no longer available. See the end of this review for a (more expensive) alternative. My belief at this point is that almost any cheap Chinese meter you find will more than do the job. Harbor Freight has one, but you can do better pricewise elsewhere.

I finally got a chance to play with mine. It is a decent meter, with True RMS AC reading, 10 megohm input impedance. It has all the features of a modern multimeter: AC and DC voltage, current, resistance, capacitance, diode testing, and an audible continuity tester.

It is a 4000-count meter. In other words, it will display 3.999 before automatically changing ranges to display larger numbers with less precision. For example, if you hooked it up to .1 millivolt, then gradually increased voltage it will display up to 399.9 millivolt, then switching range to display 4.001 volts, then 40.01 volts, then 400.1 volts.

Additionally, it has NCV (Non-Contact Voltage), which will tell you if an AC wire is hot simply by holding the meter near the wire. It will show if an AC receptacle is hot or not. Additionally, you may use a single lead to test for the presence AC voltage.
It even sports a little flashlight, great for residential applications.

Rather unique to this unit is a 1.5V and 9V battery tester. It provides a load when measuring the voltage of batteries.
This meter uses two AAA batteries, which should last longer and will cost less than the 9V batteries used by most meter.

This is way better than the top-of-the-line VTVMs of years past. If you are buying a second meter to throw in your toolbox, or are an occasional user, this meter is fine. However, for around $25 you can get a meter with 6000-count, temperature, and frequency.
https://amzn.to/3jYk9pg
(Affiliate link)
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
W5GA on 10/15/2021(UTC)