logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Contesting: Performance Questions/Comments
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2021 2:49:41 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
For years I have op'd in 4 or 5 major contests each year and use LOGic with great success. I have experienced a small number of performance issues that are repeatable and wonder if there is anything that may help to minimize them. It appears they are related to the Spot Log and Band Map. Here's what I experienced;

1) Cursor Bounce in Call field

Enter a call into the call field and the cursor is blinking at the end of the last character, a couple seconds pass while waiting to work them, you notice you missed the last character of the call and quickly append it but when you look back at the call field the character added is at the front of the call, i.e., you enter N8GL, cursor blinking after the L, you realize its actually N8GLS, you never left the field so you type S, but when you look back at the call field its SN8GL and not N8GLS. This may occur 10-15% of the time but seemingly more the longer into the contest you get.

2) Log delays during Spot Log/Band Map processing

The time it takes to process the spot log/band map is at least a couple seconds, sometimes more. You enter the call and hit tab to log the QSO and move to the next field to enter the exchange but after hitting tab nothing happens, its waiting for the refresh of the spot log/band map to finish. Other than those times the spot log/band maps are updating/refreshing there are zero delays in logging.

The delay in logging is similar to when LOGic is launched. When it launches, LOGics desktop only partially loads/fills with the various logforms, status windows, progress windows, etc, UNTILL the Spot Log and Band Map have completely refreshed. This itself easily takes a couple seconds. Most of LOGics desktop windows are blank or black while those refreshes are occuring. Probably the "nature of the beast" but wondering if anything can help to minimize the delays while logging. Yes, I could shut down the spot log and band map, but seems counter to the point especially with the trend in eliminating the un-assisted category. PS: For those who would suggest running a dedicate contest logger, thanks but I have NO interest in running a stand-alone dedicated contest logger.

OS is Win 10 Pro, PC is a less than year old i7-9700K x64 CPU at 3.60GHz with 32gB of ram. CPU processor time is at 18-19% with all apps running.

Thanks for any advice,

Brad, N8GLS
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 4/2/2021(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!