logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

connecting to new IC-705
w7gtf
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 12:00:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Dennis,

I have a new IC-705 that I am trying to setup. I am not at my home location so don't have an antenna, but trying to set up my brand new IC-705. I did the latest update to Logic and am working to set up the 705. After going to Log - Setup and adding the 705, I attempted to go to Tools, Setup and the program is now locking up. On other posts, I have seen a reference to different interfaces for the 705. I don't understand that term and where they are found. The program did also give me a notice that an interface could not be found. This was prior to the program starting to lock up. On the 705 I do have the CI-V address as A4H, Transceive ON and EchoBack on. I do have a USB to micro USB cable connecting the Windows 10 HP laptop and the 705

What do I need to do to remedy this and get the 705 set up.

As always, thanks for any help.

73, Ron
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 7:53:01 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Ron:

The term "interface" means two different things.

Quote:
On other posts, I have seen a reference to different interfaces for the 705.

In this context, it refers to the radio selection in the radio setup screen. There is more than one selection that will work for most Icoms. The IC-705 selection, #58, is the correct selection.

Quote:
The program did also give me a notice that an interface could not be found.

In this context, it is referring to the hardware interface that connects the rig to an RS-232 port. This is built-in to the 705. Icoms echo everything sent to the rig back to the computer (you are correct to turn ECHOBACK on.) This makes it easy to see if the rig is at least connected to LOGic. Since LOGic is not seeing the hardware interface, my first suspicion would be that you specified the wrong COM port in LOGic.

With conventional Icom rigs, this echo test will succeed with the wrong baud rate or the wrong address. Not sure about the 705. It was a hardware echoback before. The tx and rx lines were physically connected. Since it can be turned off in the 705, this may no longer be the case.

Post #10 of this thread
http://www.hosenose.com/...3683_IC-705-Driver.aspx
mentions two virtual ports for that rig. I don't understand the particulars, but you might.

Anyway, the first thing to do is to figure out which COM port is being assigned to the rig. With rigs with USB interfaces, this used to be easy. Plug and unplug the rig while watching the Windows device manager. But if there are two of them....

Do not use auto baud rate on the rig. Set it to something -- 9600 is good -- and set LOGic to match.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Someone with a 705 will probably see this and jump in.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K8ZM
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 2:30:19 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Hi Ron,

Congrats on the new 705 !! I have one as well so can help get you going.

I assume your have installed the Icom driver "before" you plugged the USB cable into the 705.
With the 705 powered on Windows Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT) should show two com ports, Icom has now labeled them so it seasy to see what they are, one will be "IC-705 Serial Port A (CI-V) (COMxx)", the other will be "IC-705 Serial Port B (COMxx), the xx will be the com port windows assigned. LOGic will need the com port labeled "IC-705 Serial Port A ( CI-V) (COMxx)" to interface with the 705.

The 705 has Auto Baud detection so there is no Baud Rate setting in the rigs menu's. You correctly have CI-V Transceive ON, Echo Back ON and the address A4h.

In LOGic navigate to Misc Set-up and select the Radio tab. For the radio, select driver #58, then pick the Com Port from above (must be the port labeled "IC-705 Serial Port A (CI-V) (COMxx)" in Device Manager), set the baud rate to 115200, 2 stop bits, address A4.

That should work, let us know either way !!

73 de Brad, N8GLS
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 2/11/2021(UTC)
w7gtf
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 2:32:51 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Brad

Thank you so much. I am away from home and have a different computer and never thought about the driver. Duh! Downloaded it this AM and everything seems to be fine now. Excited to get an antenna on the rig and see what it can do! There is a lot to learn in this little two pound box.

Thanks again and see you on the air.

Ron

Also, Dennis, thank you for your quick response.

1 user thanked w7gtf for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 2/11/2021(UTC)
K8ZM
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2021 5:38:09 PM(UTC)
bwilliams

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Ok Ron,

Well, its usually something "simple"......for me most always "self-inflicted" !! "Duh" and a few four letter words seem to be the extent of my daily vocabulary these days hihi !!

Yes a great little rig, there's more in that little box than meets the eye !! Too cold here yet to go portable but looking forward to seeing what that experience is like. Although, that radio makes for a nice fixed station rig as well, add an amp or two and a couple antennas and your good to go.

Check back in and let us know how its going !!

Best 73's,

Brad, N8GLS
1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 2/11/2021(UTC)