logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Some fields auto populated after import
N6QEK/KL7
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2021 7:35:40 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am a new user to LOGic and I like this logging software very much. It's powerful and versatile too. Along with all that power and versatility, it's easy to get lost. I have tried to figure this problem out for a few days and I have not had any luck.

When I imported the ADIF file from DXBase 2007, I noticed the Notes and Address fields were populated with the words MEMO. I created boxes in the log entry form (the box with all particulars), Notes and Address. I was thinking the information in those fields (MEMO) would be there and I would just visit each entry and delete MEMO from the fields.

Because I am touched with OCD BigGrin it is annoying to me. Any hints as to how I can delete the contents of those fields?

Steve
N6QEK/KL7
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2021 9:31:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Steve:

Thanks for the kind words.

Take a look at the DXBASE ADIF file itself. It is just a text file. You should see the notes and addresses there. If you see MEMO in the ADIF file, there is your problem.

I think DXBase used some variety of xBase files, which stores long freeform text in Memo fields (as does LOGic incidentally). If you look at an xBASE file with the BROWSE command, memo files will show up in a column that shows "MEMO", which you must then double-click to see/edit the data. But when handling the field programmatically, it isn't any different than any other field. At least in Visual Foxpro which LOGic uses. DXBase uses something else I think.

Check to see if there is an option in DXBase to expand memo fields on export or something like that. There must be a way to do that. This is the first time I have heard of this being a problem.

Another option is using LOGic's direct DXBASE import. Tools/Import Log Data/Other Programs that do not support ADIF.

Let me know.

Tnx for using LOGic.

Dennis WN4AZY
N6QEK/KL7
#3 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 12:22:38 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi Dennis....

I followed your instructions. Here are the results:

1) I reviewed the DXBase 2007 ADIF and I did not see in the file fields anything that would have generated a "MEMO" being populated in the LOGic NOTES/ADDRESS fields. Now, I will report that DXBasic 2007 NOTES transfers into LOGic's COMMENT field

2) I was not able to find a BROWSE app/command for the DXBase files

3) No option is available to expand the memo fields

4) Recent versions of LOGic support transfers from DXBase using ADIF. I ran the file in the utilites folder?? in DXbase for transferring files into LOGic. It not compatible with the versions of LOGic/DXBase involved

I wanted to clarify, the NOTES and ADDRESS columns in LOGIC are the features built into LOGic. I am not creating my own fields.

The MEMO is this being populated into LOGic's NOTE and ADDRESSES cannot be deleted. When I double click on the NOTES field (FYI...Column 46), a window opens that cannot be edited. Same for the ADDRESS field too.

I am at work typing this and I apologize if I am not explaining this clearly (I do not have my notes in front of me)

I also into the default SETUP panels thinking MEMO was coming from there, it was not.

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 3:12:50 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Quote:
2) I was not able to find a BROWSE app/command for the DXBase files
I was speaking Generically, as in if you were an xBASE developer running FoxPro or whatever.

Quote:
3) No option is available to expand the memo fields

Ok, I think I see what is going on. You are looking in the Browse window. This is actually sort of like the BROWSE command I described above. There is a Notes and Address column here, that do indeed say either Memo or memo. Memo means that there is data in the field. memo means that it does not. Double-click where it says Memo and you will see the actual notes or address. DXBase may not have any Notes or Addresses, so there will not be any data there -i.e. they will all say memo, not Memo.

Memo or memo is not actually stored in the database anywhere. It is just a visual indicator of a potentially huge freeform text field.

The proper way to read and enter notes and addresses are in the appropriate tabs at the top of the browse window. You may also unhide the Notes and Address fields on the main log form so they show all the time by clicking the padlock icon then clicking the trashcan icon, then double-clicking edtNotes or edtAddress.

The Notes and Address columns inthe browse grid are not too useful. I would just narrow them down to nothing, or slide them all the way to the right out of the way.

Sorry for the confusion. Long story short, everything is as it should be. Or working as designed if you'd rather....

Tnx & 73,

DH WN4AZY