logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Telenet Crashes
K1ESE
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:27:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If I run reports or customize a form while at the same time connected to a DX Cluster through Telenet, LOGic will crash eventually.

I need to disconnect from the cluster before doing those things and reconnect after I'm done.

73 de K1ESE
John
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 12:49:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Yes, we are aware of this problem, and looking for a solution.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K1ESE
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:45:25 AM(UTC)

Dennis -

Any update on this? If I want to do anything in the Tools menu or in the Reports menu or in the QSL menu, LOGic will crash if telenet is enabled. If I turn off telenet, use those menus, and then turn telenet back on, LOGic still crashes. It's getting to be very frustrating. I have to start and stop the program between each activity. I suspect my Windows 7, 64-bit is not helping.

Anyway, any progress on this?

73 de K1ESE
John

Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Yes, we are aware of this problem, and looking for a solution.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

vk4iu
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:58:17 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Hi Guys,

For what it is worth ... I think something else is at play here ... more than just Telnet and Logic.

I am running Logic's Telnet continuously against a copy of "CC User" running on another PC on my network against the VE7CC-1 cluster. Logic's Telnet starts automatically every time I start Logic - a "WA" in CW is heard when I load Logic. The spot log is on "alert" 24x7 for spots by anyone in VK or ZL while I go about my "household duties" - Fe calls "alert" as appropriate - especially in the late afternoon when LP EU is alive. While dinner cooks, I do anything and everything with Logic - no crashes. While I type here, Logic is running a Log report on my log.

In addition to all the usual email, and web browsers, and other software, I have several other "cluster tools" running band maps for me - Bandmaster by Alex of DX Atlas fame, and DX Monitor, and Spot Collector from DXLab - all running the telnet protocol against the same "CC-User" against ve7cc-1. My PC works for me, and certainly earns its keep.

I just ran "Update Awards Progress", "Sunrise/Sunset", ran a few "Advanced/Database Commands".

I have yet to see a crash with Logic and Telnet - touch wood! I am using Logic 9.0.53 on an Intel i7 based Dell notebook with 6GB of Ram.

I think there might be something extra in/about/on your PC that is causing these crashes in Logic.

What version of Logic are you using? What version of Windows? Have all the updates to Windows been applied?

I can imagine how frustrating this must be. Specifically, what "updates" in the Tools/Reports/QSL menus cause the problem? I will test the "updates" out on my system for you.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 3/20/2013(UTC)
K1ESE
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:36:50 PM(UTC)

Peter -

Thanks for the offer. I took 15 minutes and generated these three types of errors -

Error type 1
Start LOGic
started telenet
import lotw qsls
click on needed spot in spot log
index error, other database error messages
You can only clear the message box by clicking cancel and that causes program to quit

Error type 2
Start LOGic
started telenet
exported some qsos via adif
"LOGIC.exe has stopped working" Windows 7 error message
Restarting LOGic requires CLEAN
(This is the most common error)

Error type 3
start logic
telenet started
Reports - Awards - DXCC - CW -
RunPRG:An error occurred in ....
Error #11 Function argument value, type, or count is invalid
This type of error doesn't crash LOGic, but it also doesn't give me the report.

So, in 15 minutes a of doing stuff other than just logging QSOs I get all these different types of errors. Frustrating is an understatement. It might be something else on my computer that causes the problem. But, I don't have the problem with other loggers and I don't want to spend a great deal of time troubleshooting my computer. I'd appreciate any help that can keep me from giving up.

73 de K1ESE
John
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:12:54 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the problem with telnet and the reports -- atctually the problem isn't telnet but the spot processing itself.

If you do not use telnet, is everything then rock-solid? What if you get spots from DX Summit? I am trying to see if it is in fact Telnet, spot processing in general, or neither.

What version of Windows?

Are you running any Prolific-based USB=>RS232 adapters? Not likely that is the cause given the error messages you are getting, but not impossible I suppose.

What virus checker are you using? I use the free Windows Security Essentials which is trouble-free at least here. Some of the others can cause wierd stuff. Try turning it off temporarily.

Or use MSCONFIG or boot in safe mode to bring the machine up clean.

DH
vk4iu
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:53:38 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day,

I think you need to spend the time on your PC and installation of Logic - unfortunately.

I changed nothing - PC is running all sorts of stuff - I cannot begin to list it all. I simply read your post and started work. I don't want to boast - just make the tests real. Here's whats is running ...

Programs running

Exited Logic. Waited for Foxpro run time to exit. Started Logic. Telnet started as usual.

Closed Telnet. One cannot run a backup while this "external program" is running.

Ran backup - love that automatic naming for the backup - quick and easy.

Started Logic - Telnet running.

Problem 1 - Import LOTW, then use spot log.

Imported Lotw - 64 qsos direct from the LOTW on the Internet.
Went to spot log - no spots. Clicked on an old spot in Alerts - set rig - OK. Removed spot filter in spot log - clicked on spot - set rig - band, freq and mode,- OK. Double click the spot - EY8MM - sets rig - band, freq and mode , adds record to log, looks up QRZ, shows other qsos - 3 of them! I fill n RST rcvd and sent and store record - OK. Telnet still functioning - no crashes. WhileI did that - another spot was added to the spot log. I erase the record - no crashes.

Problem 2 - export ADIF records.

Export several dozen records - no crashes. All still functioning.

Problem 3 - run a report.

Ran report - AWARDS, Allbanddxcc,cw - leave the rest as default - printed to screen - preview - looks OK. Close preview, close dialogue. Everything still functioning.

I'm sorry to say - I think Logic may not be completely to blame here.

I would ...

The first step is to check whether the problem is in Logic or your PC. You need to get a nice clean copy of Logic running and test your "problems" before you add too much of your customizing back into Logic.

Run Logic backup - and make a backup of your Log and pictures to another place or disk. Then take a complete copy of the Logic directory to another place or disk. Later, you can re-install Logic, and copy this "complete copy" over the top of the installation, and you will be back to the current position - errors included. But for now ...

Uninstall Logic. Then delete the entire old Logic directory.

If errors occurred doing all that - ask for advice.

Install Logic. You don't say what version of Windows you are using. I am using Win7 64bit, and have disabled User Account Control, and I run as Administrator. My Logic is actually installed in "Program Files". But, if you are running Vista or Win7, install in c:\logic9. If you are unsure - ask for advice.

Redo your basic configuration - station information etc. Don't change anything else.

Update to Logic 9.0.53.

Reconfigure your radios, and import your Log from the backup.

At this point you should be able to repeat the "problems" you are having. Your log needs lots of extras - user fields etc etc etc - but that can wait.

Now configure Telnet, wait for some spots, and re-test.

Let us know how you go.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
vk4iu
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:02:39 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

...and I too am running Microsoft's Security Esssential, and the stanard Windows 7 firewall.

No third party security tools at all. And the only Microsoft updates I don't install are the useless Bing desktop, and Internet intensive Live Essentials.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
K1ESE
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 5:38:33 AM(UTC)

Dennis -

I tried to connect to DXSummit, but the IP address I found didn't work.
I connect to K1TTT using Telenet 1.

I tried this -
start LOGic
don't start Telenet 1
export ADIF
all seems fine
connect to K1TTT using Telenet 1
double click on a spot
Logic crashes - With the Windows 7 message.

Windows 7, 64-bit
serial port for rig control is Eltima virtual port
there is no serial port for Telenet, just TCP/IP
virus checker is AVG Anti-Virus Free 2013.

I didn't bother to try the other errors. I don't have a lot of time for troubleshooting.

73 de K1ESE
John

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the problem with telnet and the reports -- atctually the problem isn't telnet but the spot processing itself.

If you do not use telnet, is everything then rock-solid? What if you get spots from DX Summit? I am trying to see if it is in fact Telnet, spot processing in general, or neither.

What version of Windows?

Are you running any Prolific-based USB=>RS232 adapters? Not likely that is the cause given the error messages you are getting, but not impossible I suppose.

What virus checker are you using? I use the free Windows Security Essentials which is trouble-free at least here. Some of the others can cause wierd stuff. Try turning it off temporarily.

Or use MSCONFIG or boot in safe mode to bring the machine up clean.

DH

K1ESE
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:01:03 AM(UTC)

Peter -

I'm glad to hear all is working well for you.

I am running -
N4PY Orion V3.08
Mozilla Thunderbird
NaP3 V1.2.5.7
Internet Explorer

That's much less than you are running.

I see you are running DXLab. I've been running that for years. But, I liked the ability to customize forms that LOGic had, so I bought LOGic. All these errors have pretty much rendered it useless.

I go back to DX Lab and then every once in a while try LOGic again. LOGic crashes a few times and I give up and go back to DXLab. I'd be interested in you opinion of what's better in LOGic and why it is worth the considerable effort it is taking to have it work reliably. I have zero problems with DX Lab.

I appreciate your suggestions. But, I have not the time or the desire to reinstall LOGic. I have never paid this much for a piece of radio software and don't expect to then have to troubleshoot it. I may feel differently if my frustrations subside. I started this thread a month ago with no relief.

73 de K1ESE
John

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
G'Day,

I think you need to spend the time on your PC and installation of Logic - unfortunately.

I changed nothing - PC is running all sorts of stuff - I cannot begin to list it all. I simply read your post and started work. I don't want to boast - just make the tests real. Here's whats is running ...

Programs running

Exited Logic. Waited for Foxpro run time to exit. Started Logic. Telnet started as usual.

Closed Telnet. One cannot run a backup while this "external program" is running.

Ran backup - love that automatic naming for the backup - quick and easy.

Started Logic - Telnet running.

Problem 1 - Import LOTW, then use spot log.

Imported Lotw - 64 qsos direct from the LOTW on the Internet.
Went to spot log - no spots. Clicked on an old spot in Alerts - set rig - OK. Removed spot filter in spot log - clicked on spot - set rig - band, freq and mode,- OK. Double click the spot - EY8MM - sets rig - band, freq and mode , adds record to log, looks up QRZ, shows other qsos - 3 of them! I fill n RST rcvd and sent and store record - OK. Telnet still functioning - no crashes. WhileI did that - another spot was added to the spot log. I erase the record - no crashes.

Problem 2 - export ADIF records.

Export several dozen records - no crashes. All still functioning.

Problem 3 - run a report.

Ran report - AWARDS, Allbanddxcc,cw - leave the rest as default - printed to screen - preview - looks OK. Close preview, close dialogue. Everything still functioning.

I'm sorry to say - I think Logic may not be completely to blame here.

I would ...

The first step is to check whether the problem is in Logic or your PC. You need to get a nice clean copy of Logic running and test your "problems" before you add too much of your customizing back into Logic.

Run Logic backup - and make a backup of your Log and pictures to another place or disk. Then take a complete copy of the Logic directory to another place or disk. Later, you can re-install Logic, and copy this "complete copy" over the top of the installation, and you will be back to the current position - errors included. But for now ...

Uninstall Logic. Then delete the entire old Logic directory.

If errors occurred doing all that - ask for advice.

Install Logic. You don't say what version of Windows you are using. I am using Win7 64bit, and have disabled User Account Control, and I run as Administrator. My Logic is actually installed in "Program Files". But, if you are running Vista or Win7, install in c:\logic9. If you are unsure - ask for advice.

Redo your basic configuration - station information etc. Don't change anything else.

Update to Logic 9.0.53.

Reconfigure your radios, and import your Log from the backup.

At this point you should be able to repeat the "problems" you are having. Your log needs lots of extras - user fields etc etc etc - but that can wait.

Now configure Telnet, wait for some spots, and re-test.

Let us know how you go.

Peter VK4IU

vk4iu
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:31:53 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

G'Day John,

I know how you feel. I have some similar problems with Ham Radio Deluxe - one of the reasons I am running DXLab. I am currently seeking help on the HRD forum.

I have been in IT for over 40 years - starting on large mainframes and finally retiring from managing a network of over 45 servers and 4000 plus PCs. So called "mainframes" were much simpler - but a lot more powerful. I don't wonder that PCs have issues like we both are experiencing. I am amazed that, given the thousands of pieces, and the fingers of so many in the pie, that they work with so FEW errors. Standards are such wondefull things - so many to choose from! WinXP and Vista and Win7 are a joy to use - compared to Win98. But - back to the issue at hand.

I think your issues are not just with Logic. Logic just makes "it" happen. You need to troubleshoot your "system" of things for the problem, and you need to simplify the system to find the problem. If you are not prepared to backup your log and start again with Logic - there are not a lot of alternatives. You will chase your tail for a long time tring to find the "error in the system".

What is NaP3 ??

Over the years I have tried a lot of things - and spent more money than I care to mention. I own licenses for CT, CT for Windows, Wrtelog, Wintest, DX4Win, Ham Radio Deluxe, and Logic. I have tried almost every "free" package available - too many to list. The biggest disappointment was with DX4Win. Logger32 was too restricted in ability for me.

I actually now only use N1MM for contesting, and Logic for DXing and analysis. All the rest are just tools for specific things.

Only Logic does everything I need to do by way of logging my QSOs.

Logging QSOs is much more flexibile - in fact infinitely flexible with Logic. The ability to layout log forms and customise them for working, or QSLing, specific DX is unmatched by anything. The ability to define an infinite number of "user fields" to meet any specific need is unique. Others have only one or two user fields. I also like the extensive "real time" data when working DX - other QSOs, memberships, QRZ, DX Info etc.

Best of all is the reporting. You will not find anywhere else such extensive facilities for reporting and QSL printing. I buy blank A4 card stock, have it cut up at the local printers for "a beer or two", and print everything on the QSL card myself. No double handling with stickers here.

The extensive filtering lets me do a lot of analysis of my contests. Who did I work, in what direction, when, on what band.

I operate SO2R and use only N1MM for contesting because of the SO2R support. I import all the QSOs into Logic for analysis to improve my effort in contesting, and plot my DX progress - DXCC, WAZ etc etc - and print QSL cards and upload to eQSL, LoTW and Clublog. I don't actually chase any "wall paper".

I use DXLab for SpotCollector. I like the "database" it creates for the spots over time, rather than just a list of spots that arrived - and Commander does a better job of "setting the rig". I import my log into DXKeeper but do not log into it - it just provides the data for the rest of the DXLab system. I run DXCommander so I can run Digital Master 780 and BPSK31. HRD and DM-780 do not like my K3s for some reason. I use BandMaster because it interfaces into all the DX Bulletins and propagation data. I let DXMonitor run in the background accumulating data, so later I can ask for the history over time of the Dxpeditions - when were they on what mode, at what time, on what frequency - I don't actually use it while DXing. It all helps me plan around being a "house husband".

You just need to ask if you want more help.

Peter VK4IU

Peter VK4IU
K1ESE
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 7:53:28 AM(UTC)

Peter -

Very interesting stuff. Your setup sounds great.

I could eliminate my current problems (I assume) by using Spotcollector and Commander for those tasks and LOGic for the actual logging. Is there a way to have Spotcollector send the spot's callsign to LOGic?

NaP3 is my panadapter and by far the best thing going. I use LP-Pan with my Ten Tec Orion or my K3 and NaP3 (stands for Not A P3) displays the band. See http://www.telepostinc.com/NaP3.html.

I use virtual ports from N4PY control software or LP-Bridge to send frequency and mode to LOGic. That may be part of the issue, but they have nothing to do with Telenet. I will try keeping Telenet on, but turning the rig interface off to see if the problems persist.

I'm off to appointments, but am eager to get your feedback and try a few things later.

Thanks!

73 de K1ESE
John

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
G'Day John,

I know how you feel. I have some similar problems with Ham Radio Deluxe - one of the reasons I am running DXLab. I am currently seeking help on the HRD forum.

I have been in IT for over 40 years - starting on large mainframes and finally retiring from managing a network of over 45 servers and 4000 plus PCs. So called "mainframes" were much simpler - but a lot more powerful. I don't wonder that PCs have issues like we both are experiencing. I am amazed that, given the thousands of pieces, and the fingers of so many in the pie, that they work with so FEW errors. Standards are such wondefull things - so many to choose from! WinXP and Vista and Win7 are a joy to use - compared to Win98. But - back to the issue at hand.

I think your issues are not just with Logic. Logic just makes "it" happen. You need to troubleshoot your "system" of things for the problem, and you need to simplify the system to find the problem. If you are not prepared to backup your log and start again with Logic - there are not a lot of alternatives. You will chase your tail for a long time tring to find the "error in the system".

What is NaP3 ??

Over the years I have tried a lot of things - and spent more money than I care to mention. I own licenses for CT, CT for Windows, Wrtelog, Wintest, DX4Win, Ham Radio Deluxe, and Logic. I have tried almost every "free" package available - too many to list. The biggest disappointment was with DX4Win. Logger32 was too restricted in ability for me.

I actually now only use N1MM for contesting, and Logic for DXing and analysis. All the rest are just tools for specific things.

Only Logic does everything I need to do by way of logging my QSOs.

Logging QSOs is much more flexibile - in fact infinitely flexible with Logic. The ability to layout log forms and customise them for working, or QSLing, specific DX is unmatched by anything. The ability to define an infinite number of "user fields" to meet any specific need is unique. Others have only one or two user fields. I also like the extensive "real time" data when working DX - other QSOs, memberships, QRZ, DX Info etc.

Best of all is the reporting. You will not find anywhere else such extensive facilities for reporting and QSL printing. I buy blank A4 card stock, have it cut up at the local printers for "a beer or two", and print everything on the QSL card myself. No double handling with stickers here.

The extensive filtering lets me do a lot of analysis of my contests. Who did I work, in what direction, when, on what band.

I operate SO2R and use only N1MM for contesting because of the SO2R support. I import all the QSOs into Logic for analysis to improve my effort in contesting, and plot my DX progress - DXCC, WAZ etc etc - and print QSL cards and upload to eQSL, LoTW and Clublog. I don't actually chase any "wall paper".

I use DXLab for SpotCollector. I like the "database" it creates for the spots over time, rather than just a list of spots that arrived - and Commander does a better job of "setting the rig". I import my log into DXKeeper but do not log into it - it just provides the data for the rest of the DXLab system. I run DXCommander so I can run Digital Master 780 and BPSK31. HRD and DM-780 do not like my K3s for some reason. I use BandMaster because it interfaces into all the DX Bulletins and propagation data. I let DXMonitor run in the background accumulating data, so later I can ask for the history over time of the Dxpeditions - when were they on what mode, at what time, on what frequency - I don't actually use it while DXing. It all helps me plan around being a "house husband".

You just need to ask if you want more help.

Peter VK4IU

WN4AZY
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:38:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
Dennis -

I tried this -
start LOGic
don't start Telenet 1
export ADIF
all seems fine
double click on a spot

Ok, you shouldn't need an IP address for DX Summit. The default URL of
http://www.dxsummit.fi/D...px?count=25&range=1
works fine.

But, try disconnecting telnet then double-click on a spot. That will tell if it is really Telnet or not.

This Altima USB device -- look at it in the Windows device manager and see who did the driver. FTDI is good, Prolific is bad, anything else is questionable but probably OK.

Try totally disabling the rig interface and see if the problems go away.

The main problem now is that we don't know if the problem is being caused by Telnet, the radio interface, the spot log, or something else.

I would be happy to call you and log into your computer and take a look around.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
W7OO
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:01:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi All,

I just wanted to add my two cents worth to this in hopes that it helps Dennis find this problem.

I run the 9.0.53 version of LOGic and Windows 7.

I also run both Telnet (VE7CC) and DX-Summit windows open at the same time.

When I run a report with the DX-Summit window open and receive a spot on DX-Summit I will have the problem. For me telenet does not enter into the problem. I can leave that window open and receive spots while running reports with no ill effect.

In the past Dennis has told me to just close the DX-Summit window before running a report. When I do this I never see the problem while running a report.

I guess I should add that I also run Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Outlook at the same time I am running LOGic. Shutting these down does not change the problem.

Good luck on this one Dennis. I know you have been aware of this for a long time and been looking for the solution.

Bill
W7OO
K1ESE
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:59:49 PM(UTC)

Dennis -

I did more experimenting. I turned off rig control, exported ADIF, and turned on telenet 1. It crashed.

Eltima is a VIRTUAL port, no USB, no Prolific, no FTDI. But, since the problem is still there with the ports disconnected, it's not the Eltima virtual port, anyway.

I tried it with no rig control and no telenet. No problems with that particular issue. No crash after ADIF export.

I then found what you meant by DXSummit. We new users are not as up to speed on all your terms and need a little more guidance than just saying try DXSummit. I was trying to access DXSummit through telenet. Then I found out it is a completely different form.

I don't like DXSummit because it is not real time but appears to download information at intervals. Anyway, I ran DXSummit for ten minutes or so with no problems. I closed DXSummit and opened telenet 1 which ran for about 5 minutes and then the program crashed. The problem is telenet 1.

I use ADIF export to test, but the same thing happens with many other commands. The pop up says "LOGIC.exe has stopped working". It's a Windows 7 error message. Restarting LOGic requires CLEAN first.

This does nothing to address problem 3 above. For the time being I will put up with using DXSummit until you find a cure.

73 de K1ESE
John

Quote:
Dennis -

I tried this -
start LOGic
don't start Telenet 1
export ADIF
all seems fine
double click on a spot

Ok, you shouldn't need an IP address for DX Summit. The default URL of
http://www.dxsummit.fi/D...px?count=25&range=1
works fine.

But, try disconnecting telnet then double-click on a spot. That will tell if it is really Telnet or not.

This Altima USB device -- look at it in the Windows device manager and see who did the driver. FTDI is good, Prolific is bad, anything else is questionable but probably OK.

Try totally disabling the rig interface and see if the problems go away.

The main problem now is that we don't know if the problem is being caused by Telnet, the radio interface, the spot log, or something else.

I would be happy to call you and log into your computer and take a look around.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

K1ESE
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:19:12 PM(UTC)

Dennis -

OK, I am now using the DXSummit form.

I exported and imported LotW QSLs. The DXSummit form stopped working. I closed it and when reopened it showed, just above the Forced Download icon, the text, in red, "Error 45". Now it does that whenever I open LOGic.

Dennis a call and your accessing my computer would be good. I am available Friday afternoon around 2pm or during the weekend or Monday.

73 de K1ESE
John

vk4iu
#17 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:28:57 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Hi John, Bill, Dennis, and others reading along with us,

Having Dennis "dial in" sounds like a good idea.

I think you need to be looking around the "virtual system" you are running. You may like to describe it in more detail so we get a better idea of where the issues may lie.

That you describe "Win 7" errors stopping Logic is also a clue. The problem is most likely external to Logic.

While we are all "shooting in the dark" - so to speak - let me descibe my experience - I hope it helps.

Keep in mind "virtual ports" need to have some performance. What they do is "interrupt" the normal flow of control through the deep caverns of your Windows system. They run on your system as "windows services" - in the background. They do not turn-off just because you stop using the ports. One needs to "STOP" the service to get it out of the loop.

I assume that you are using LP-Bridge 2 and the Eltima drivers - as compared to the older LP-Bridge. The older LP-Bridge and it's virtual port drivers, and the Eltima virtual port drivers, do NOT mix.

NaP3 will be sucking the life from your PC when it is running.

From the comment by Bill W7OO - that Telnet is not involved in his similar problem - I am more convinced than ever that these issues have something to do with how the systems are configured - external to Logic. Logic is simply the "trigger".

I did not describe my system completely - but I too am using Eltima Serial Port software to create virtual ports.

One of the issues you faced I am sure, is that every bit of software wants to "run the rig", and you needed to use LP-Bridge, and the Eltima software, to give access to more than one peice of software.

You say you are running DXLab - which wants to control the rig - and Logic - which wants to control the rig - and NaP3 - that wants access to the rig. You stitched it all together with "virtual ports". If you are running the K3 at 38400, and there are multiple virtual ports at this speed, you may need to "slow down" the polling of the radios. See below.

Larry Phipps at TelepostInc solved the basic problem with LP-Bridge - ver 1 and ver 2.

From my experience getting the following to work - I would be looking seriously at the LP-Bridge/Eltima/virtual port system, and the all the software that uses them, for the problem.

I too wanted to do what you are doing. My system that I have described, runs "Eltima Serial Port Splitter". Two FTDI based USB ports come from RemoteRig devices (that's another story) into the PC. The Eltima "splitter_share_service" runs in the background and splits COM19 to COM1,9,10 and COM20 to COM2,11,12. It took me a while to get it all to work correctly.

N1MM or DXLab use ports 1 and 2, and OmniRig uses 9, and 11, and my "test tools" use ports 12, and 13 - all at the same time running at 38400 to the real K3s elsewhere at my QTH. OmniRig is used via COM by three or four peices of software - including Logic.

My system is pure Eltima - no other serial port software at all - just tools that use the ports. And as already described, I have no issues worth mentioning - now.

For obvious reasons all the ports have to run at the same speed - in my case 38400 - two real and six virtual ports. This proved too much even for my eight core Intel i7 - even with very little software running. I still run the ports at 38400, but, where I could, I had to slow down the polling of the radios to give the whole "system" a chance to function.

For me, the Eltima service simply stopped, and I had to restart it - constantly, randomly. Initially I elevated the "process priority" for the Eltima service to real-time, and slowed the radio polling to a very low level - and it all worked for many hours. Then, over a week, I slowly lowered the service priority back to normal, and increased the polling to where the system started to again crash. Then I backed the polling off a little and the system now runs without error for hours and hours - and I run anything and everything else as well.

One addage has stuck with me over my years with computers. It is ...

Systems that are backed into a corner - come of crashing.

Make sure your system has "room to breath", and time to "catch it's breath" - so to speak. As you see from my system, that has nothing to do with how many programs one runs. It is the nature of the work that each component is asked to do, and the environment in which they have to do it, that is of concern.

During my professional life I had many, many, long days and sleepless nights, with these sorts of problems.

I hope I have helped in some small way. I hope you and Dennis have some luck. Good luck with it. Just ask if you need help.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
K1ESE
#18 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 6:09:13 AM(UTC)

Peter -

I am not using LP-Bridge or LP-Bridge 2.

With NaP3 running the CPU runs between 10% and 15%, far from your assessment.

I am not running DXLab and Logic at the same time.

DXLab runs fine, no problems and always has.

N1MM runs fine, no problems, and always has.

I use N4PY software to talk to NaP3.

I should not have to spend 'sleepless nights' for commercial software to work.

K1ESE
vk4iu
#19 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2013 6:37:34 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Man

Hi John,

Totally agree - one should not have to debug commercial software.

But when does one get to work with "one" commercial bit of software?

We are dealing with "systems of stuff" - rarely does one work with anything in isolation. If software writers knew about every PC enviroment in which their software had to work, the PC world would be a better place. But ... that's utopia and is never going to happen.

Now I am curious - in your previous post you said ...

Quote:
Windows 7, 64-bit
serial port for rig control is Eltima virtual port
there is no serial port for Telenet, just TCP/IP
virus checker is AVG Anti-Virus Free 2013.

... why the "virtual ports"?

For me - 64bit, virtual ports, Win7 error messages, are pointing at your "system of stuff" - not one commercial software item in it.

After your answer to my "virtual ports" question, I will leave things to yourself and Dennis. Without detailed knowledge of your system, I have little more to add, beyond experience getting my own "system of stuff" to function - which I have already outlined.

Peter VK4IU
Peter VK4IU
K1ESE
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:56:30 PM(UTC)

I have been working with Dennis on several issues with LOGic 9. He is very helpful, but there seem to be no easy answers. Since I am having problems that no one else is having, it must be something in my system.

The issues are -
Many reports stop with an error message, and
ADIF exports cause LOGic to crash requiring a CLEAN before restart.

I have done a lot of testing today. I am using Windows 7, 64 bit as my operating system. To best prepare I -
Uninstalled LOGic 9
Disabled any virtual ports
Reinstalled a fresh copy of LOGic 9 from Dennis
Updated LOGic.exe to the latest version that deals with the text field cursor movement
Closed all other programs
Rebooted the computer

I tested the REPORT ERROR and the EXPORT CRASH in several situations.

Telnet form closed, Spot Log form closed
No REPORT ERROR, no EXPORT CRASH

Telnet form open, Spot Log form closed
No REPORT ERROR, yes EXPORT CRASH

Telnet form open, Spot Log form open
Yes REPORT ERROR, yes EXPORT CRASH

EXPORT CRASH only test
Start with Telnet form closed
No EXPORT CRASH... then
Open Telnet form afterward
Yes EXPORT CRASH.

REPORT ERROR only test
Start with Telnet form closed
No REPORT ERROR... then
Open Telnet form afterward
No REPORT ERROR... then
Open Spot Log form
No REPORT ERROR

Conclusions -
My system issues are not related to virtual ports, serial ports, or other running applications. They may be related to a multitude of background programs in today's Windows computers.

The REPORT ERROR only occurs if the Spot Log form is open at the same time as the report is being generated.

The EXPORT CRASH occurs if Telnet is running or if it runs later in the same session.

I'm not sure if any of this will help lead to a conclusion, but there it is.

73 de K1ESE
John