logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

LOGic chokes on contest cluster traffic?
AA7XT
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 10:18:39 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I turned on my rig - and LOGic - for the first time in severaal months tonight intending to spend some time in the CQ WW CW contest.

LOGic is hanging (unresponsive) immediately after launch. Is this due to high volume of contest cluster spots? I am logged into a Telnet cluster. I have no idea how to disconnect since LOGic hangs immediately upon launch.

I am using the latest version of LOGic and a Windows 7 Pro PC with SP1 and all subsequentupdates. Computer is a Digital Tigers with Intel Core2 CPU 6400 2.13-GHz and 2-GB RAM.

If my diagnosis is true should I avoid using LOGic during contests?

Bill AA7XT
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 3:50:37 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Bill:

That is possible I suppose, although I have never run into that before. More likely the host is down or something. But it still shouldn't hang.

To turn off telnet before trying to start LOGic, edit FORM.INI located in the LOGic install folder. Notepad or anything will do. Look for these lines

Telnet1=Yes
Telnet2=Yes

Change Yes to No, or delete the lines. Now, when you start LOGic, Telnet will not open.

Let us know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis
AA7XT
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:03:52 PM(UTC)

I turned on LOGic again today and it is still apparently choking on the telnet traffic. Interesting to note that the bandmap window is showing the spots flowing by however I can access any other LOGic windows.

I tested both HRD and Win-Test. Both are working fine with the high cluster traffic so this seems to be a LOGic specific issue, for me at least.

I will try to make the edits you recommend. However this means I can't use telnet with LOGic? That's not really the fix I was looking for.

Bill AA7XT
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:54:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Quote:
I turned on LOGic again today and it is still apparently choking on the telnet traffic. Interesting to note that the bandmap window is showing the spots flowing by however I can access any other LOGic windows.

Do you mean "CANNOT access other LOGic Windows?"

Can you close the band map window?

Quote:
I will try to make the edits you recommend. However this means I can't use telnet with LOGic? That's not really the fix I was looking for.

No, just diagnostics to help me determine if the spots are really the problem or not. If that turns out to be a cause, let me know what telnet site you are using so I can try it here.

DH
AA7XT
#5 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 3:33:41 PM(UTC)

LOGic is working OK today (post CQ WW contest) so that seems to confirm that it was the high volume of spots that was causing LOGic to become non-responsive. I was Telneting to AD5K's cluster, FYI.

On another LOGic topic, I exported my 92,777 QSOs to take a look at the data. I discovered that LOGic is using several fields that are not in the ADIF 3.0.2 spec, namely:

CQFIELD should this be CQZ?
EQSL QSL S should be EQSL_QSL_SENT
EQSL_RCVD should be EQSL_QSL-RCVD
FFMA not supported by ADIF?
FREQ_TX I think this should just be FREQ
VE_PROV should be STATE, I think

Please comment on this. Thanks.
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:13:33 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, next time it happens try closing the band map or doing other troubleshooting measures. I haven't had any other complaints....

CQFIELD is not CQZ It is a grid square award -- first two letters of the grid square I think.

You can change the mapping of the name of any field in tools/setup/log fields.

FFMA: ADIF supports ANY field. If it is not in the specs, you can still export it, and LOGic at least can import it into a user-defiend field.

I know they screwed Freq TX, VE PROV, and STATE etc all up. I'll look into it. Again, you can map anything to anything.

BTW Ray WF1B and I are the creators of ADIF. We specified that new specs are not to break our original.

DH