logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

I Really Need Help Here........
K2WH
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 10:41:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
From mode tables to default values to updates that can't find Logic, I am at my wits end.

Trying to run an update .50 or similar, the install says it can't find logic even though I know its there, I'm using it and looking in the directory its there all right.

The mode tables, when I run awards update, I get a bunch on invalid modes "Phone" and "Data".

Invalid with who or what and are these invalid modes affecting my awards progress, over 1,000 invalids do I need to delete them?

The modes are in the mode table so how can they be invalid ?

Still can't connect to my rig even though prior to the crash, I could.

Trying to connect, puts the rig in xmit, I get the timeout error and until I click OK, it stays in xmit and inadvertently, it stayed in xmit for hours.

Baud rate is a match, I don't know any thing about the other settings like stop bits and handshaking etc.

Running FT8 and Logic are fine as long as I don't try to connect to the rig with Logic while WSJT is running, then both programs crash.

There are only 2 ports available 2 and 3.

Prior to the crash there was 3 or 4 ports so I don't know where the other ports went or came from.

Omnirig, as other have suggested, I have no idea what that is and how to run it.

Well that's my rant and I need help to get these 2 programs working together.

Perhaps someone needs to take control of my computer remotely to see what's going on.

Thanks,
Bill
K2WH

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
wa4pgm
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2019 1:58:14 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Bill,
Sorry I can not help by connecting to your computer my crappy 1mb DSL is slowwwww.

Mode Table - Can you send a screenshot of what you added?

I suspect your issues with LOGic, WSJTX, and the rig has to do with comport control.

If any of those programs are running currently please close all of them and lets see what works and what doesn't.

It sounds like you have WSJTX and rig control working, yes? If so, open WSJT-X and click on File>Setting>Radio
Write down all the settings for CAT Control. Serial Port, Baud Rate, Data Bits, Stop Bits, Handshake.
Click Cancel and close WSJTX.

Open LOGic, does it work with Rig Control now that you shut down WSJTX? If not, Click on Tools>Setup>Ham setup, Misc, Rig
now input the parameters you wrote down from WSJTX settings. Click OK.

So now you have rig control with WSJTX and LOGic working separably? Correct?

A future update(not currently) of LOGic will allow rig control and logging with WSJT-X running together.

73, Kyle
1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 5/27/2019(UTC)
K2WH
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:23:34 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: wa4pgm Go to Quoted Post
Bill,
Sorry I can not help by connecting to your computer my crappy 1mb DSL is slowwwww.

Mode Table - Can you send a screenshot of what you added?

I suspect your issues with LOGic, WSJTX, and the rig has to do with comport control.

If any of those programs are running currently please close all of them and lets see what works and what doesn't.

It sounds like you have WSJTX and rig control working, yes? If so, open WSJT-X and click on File>Setting>Radio
Write down all the settings for CAT Control. Serial Port, Baud Rate, Data Bits, Stop Bits, Handshake.
Click Cancel and close WSJTX.

Open LOGic, does it work with Rig Control now that you shut down WSJTX? If not, Click on Tools>Setup>Ham setup, Misc, Rig
now input the parameters you wrote down from WSJTX settings. Click OK.

So now you have rig control with WSJTX and LOGic working separably? Correct?

A future update(not currently) of LOGic will allow rig control and logging with WSJT-X running together.

73, Kyle

I have posted questions here some time ago, with no reply so I'll try again.

I have most of the problems ironed out except I still do not fully understand the "Modes" table or the "Modem" notification.

When I update my awards progress, I get over 2,000 "Invalid Modes" and as far as I can tell, it is affecting my awards totals.

The invalid modes are "Phone" and "Data".

So, what do I need to change in the modes listing and how do I go about it ?

Do I need to manually change the 2,000 + entries in my log, to satisfy the modes table or do I modify the modes table ?

If I need to modify the modes table can someone tell me step by step on how to do that.

On the "Modem" error, when trying to connect to my rig, Logic is telling me there is probably a modem using the port.

I went into the "Rig Rotor and Terminal" tab and I see no option for turning it off or I don't know where I am supposed to disable that feature.

Thanks for any help.

Bill
K2WH

wa4pgm
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:35:22 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

Bill I replied to your request did you not see them?
K2WH
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 8:40:46 AM(UTC)

Bill I replied to your request did you not see them?

No I did not but I just read it here.

I think at this point, I just need someone to tell me how to change the "Modes" table to eliminate the "Phone" and "DATA" modes which are severly affecting my awards count.

That and how do I get rid of the "Modem" warning so it will free up the comm port.

Thanks,
Bill
K2WH
wa4pgm
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:06:31 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

You can add any mode to LOGic by clicking Tools>Setup>Modes
Look at the ones already listed as a example and add the modes. Afterwards rerun Update Awards.

Reread my post about the comport issues. Make sure you're using the correct comport and you're not trying to use the same comport with two different programs running at the same time.
K2WH
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:30:57 AM(UTC)

Look at the ones already listed as a example and add the modes. Afterwards rerun Update Awards.

Reread my post about the comport issues. Make sure you're using the correct comport and you're not trying to use the same comport with two different programs running at the same time.

Maybe I'm not being clear in my explanations.

Upon running "Update Awards Progress", it tells me there are almost 3,000 entries that have "Invalid Modes", namely Data and Phone.

I did not put those modes in there, they were already there upon installation of Logic9.

So, these 3000 invalid modes are not counted (as far as I can tell) in the update.

I proved that by running inquiries for a WAS status for any particular band and it is not counting states that I have worked and confirmed many times.

Its not that I need to "ADD" modes, I need to either change or DELETE modes from what I can see.

IOW, if "Phone" or "Data" are invalid modes then what do I substitute or change to make them valid.

Bill
K2WH

PS, I am working on the port issue and will get back to you with another update on that and I am following your suggestions.

THanks.
K2WH
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 9:26:45 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: K2WH Go to Quoted Post

Maybe I'm not being clear in my explanations.

Upon running "Update Awards Progress", it tells me there are almost 3,000 entries that have "Invalid Modes", namely Data and Phone.

I did not put those modes in there, they were already there upon installation of Logic9.

So, these 3000 invalid modes are not counted (as far as I can tell) in the update.

I proved that by running inquiries for a WAS status for any particular band and it is not counting states that I have worked and confirmed many times.

Its not that I need to "ADD" modes, I need to either change or DELETE modes from what I can see.

IOW, if "Phone" or "Data" are invalid modes then what do I substitute or change to make them valid.

Bill
K2WH

PS, I am working on the port issue and will get back to you with another update on that and I am following your suggestions.

THanks.

As per your instructions, here are the results of settings and testing:

WSJT settings:

Cat Control:

Serial Port : Com 3
Baud: 9600 (matches rig)
Data Bits: Default
Stop Bits: Default
Handshake: Default
PTT Method: DTR
Com: 4
Mode: USB
Split Op. None

The above settings work nicely with WSJT. Changing any of the above settings, causes the program to cease functioning.

Logic9:

On startup I get the error message of a “Modem” using a port ??

Logic Settings:

Com: 4
Baud: 9600
Stop bits: 2
DTR: Unchecked
RTS: Unchecked

Results:

I found that closing WSJT and inputting various parameters into Logic, I can get it to talk to the rig only if I check RTS, DTR will not work.

I cannot get WSJT and Logic both working together no matter what settings I input in either Logic or WSJT. Separately, they work.

So in conclusion, I suspect whatever this “Modem” is or where it is, is the problem, it is not relinquishing a port for Logic’s use.

Shutting down or disabling this modem thing I believe will solve the problem.

Thanks,
Bill
K2WH

wa4pgm
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:06:51 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

Coming in "Loud and Clear" Bill.

The invalid modes, PHONE and DATA are not being found in the Modes Table. In order for them to be counted and clear the error messages you'll need to add each one separably. There is no problem in doing this and should have no ill effect to logging or awards.

To proceed do the following:

Always follow safety by "doing a Backup"

Now we're ready!

Click Tools>Setup>Modes
Click the "+" to add a new mode

Fill in the blanks
Actual Mode: PHONE
Mode for awards tracking: PHONE
ADIF Mode: PHONE
Default RST: 59 --- this is a option, can be left blank
Spot Mode:
Spot? usually checked

Click the Save Button( the little 3.5" floppy icon)

Now do the same for DATA

Actual Mode: DATA
Mode for awards tracking: DATA
ADIF Mode: DATA
Default RST: 599 --- this is a option, can be left blank
Spot Mode:
Spot? usually checked

Click Save
Click Close and run the Awards Update

1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
K2WH on 6/2/2019(UTC)
wa4pgm
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:24:29 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

My comments are within:

<BILL>I cannot get WSJT and Logic both working together no matter what settings I input in either Logic or WSJT. Separately, they work.

<KYLE> Yes that is correct!! A future update to LOGic will allow this.
<KYLE>COM 3 is the working port and can not be shared. OMNIRIG can be used to share ports by using virtual ones.

<BILL>Logic9: On startup I get the error message of a “Modem” using a port ??

<KYLE> That's because LOGic is looking for something on COM4 that's not there.
<KYLE> Set it to COM 3 but remember WSJTX and LOGic can NOT do rig control at the same time.

<BILL>I found that closing WSJT and inputting various parameters into Logic, I can get it to talk to the rig only if I check RTS, DTR will not work.
<KYLE> Is the correct rig selected in LOGic under the Radio IFC??

How copy?
73 Kyle
K2WH
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 11:05:35 AM(UTC)

Coming in "Loud and Clear" Bill.

The invalid modes, PHONE and DATA are not being found in the Modes Table. In order for them to be counted and clear the error messages you'll need to add each one separably. There is no problem in doing this and should have no ill effect to logging or awards.

To proceed do the following:

Always follow safety by "doing a Backup"

Now we're ready!

Click Tools>Setup>Modes
Click the "+" to add a new mode

Fill in the blanks
Actual Mode: PHONE
Mode for awards tracking: PHONE
ADIF Mode: PHONE
Default RST: 59 --- this is a option, can be left blank
Spot Mode:
Spot? usually checked

Click the Save Button( the little 3.5" floppy icon)

Now do the same for DATA

Actual Mode: DATA
Mode for awards tracking: DATA
ADIF Mode: DATA
Default RST: 599 --- this is a option, can be left blank
Spot Mode:
Spot? usually checked

Click Save
Click Close and run the Awards Update

Thanks, that worked great and found out some of the info I printed out previously was incorrect.

Working on the other item.

Thanks again,

Bill
K2WH
K2WH
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 11:14:20 AM(UTC)

My comments are within:

<BILL>I cannot get WSJT and Logic both working together no matter what settings I input in either Logic or WSJT. Separately, they work.

<KYLE> Yes that is correct!! A future update to LOGic will allow this.
<KYLE>COM 3 is the working port and can not be shared. OMNIRIG can be used to share ports by using virtual ones.

<BILL>Logic9: On startup I get the error message of a “Modem” using a port ??

<KYLE> That's because LOGic is looking for something on COM4 that's not there.
<KYLE> Set it to COM 3 but remember WSJTX and LOGic can NOT do rig control at the same time.

<BILL>I found that closing WSJT and inputting various parameters into Logic, I can get it to talk to the rig only if I check RTS, DTR will not work.
<KYLE> Is the correct rig selected in LOGic under the Radio IFC??

How copy?
73 Kyle

Yes, the correct rig is selected.

Prior to my computer crash, there was always 3 individual ports but only have 2 now and the third one (I have no idea where that came from did allow my to operate both programs, WSJT and LOgic at the same time. At the same time only when I was instructed on how to release the "Modem" thing which I believe is the 3rd missing port.

So that is why I believe the "modem" thing is preventing me from running both programs at the same time using the 3rd port. I forget who told me how to get rid of the modem thing and where in the program I might go to disable it which is what I did the last time and it worked like a charm.

Thanks, and if you can solve that I will be forever in your debt.

Bill
K2WH
wa4pgm
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 1:53:12 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

You can turn off the Radio Interface in LOGic temporary by clicking on Tools>Turn Off Radio & Rotor Interface.
Then start WSJTX and both programs will run.

When you close WSJTX and want rig control back on LOGic click on Tools>Turn ON or Reset Rig & Rotor Interface.
K2WH
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 3:06:31 PM(UTC)

You can turn off the Radio Interface in LOGic temporary by clicking on Tools>Turn Off Radio & Rotor Interface.
Then start WSJTX and both programs will run.

When you close WSJTX and want rig control back on LOGic click on Tools>Turn ON or Reset Rig & Rotor Interface.

Yes, I know that but by doing that, it removes the form where I can control the rig and that form is what I want to read the rigs frequency.
Like I said, it worked before my computer crash and someone on this forum told me how to disable that. Can't remember who or how.

But, here is the error I get every time I start Logic, maybe its a clue ?

OLE IDispatch Exception Code 0 from MSComm; Could Not Set Com State.
There may be one or more invalid Communication parameters.
This port may be in use by a modem.

Bill
K2WH
wa4pgm
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 2, 2019 4:04:17 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Man

Bill like I've been saying two programs can not share the same comport without some other software like OMNIRIG, COM0COM, etc... perhaps you were using one of these or similar before.

If WSJTX is already running and you start LOGic with rig control then you'll get that error.

If you start LOGic and it see's nothing on a comport that's configured wrong or in use by another program you'll get that error.

I'm happy to see you have made progress with the modes table.
Good luck,
Kyle
K2WH
#16 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 1:25:33 PM(UTC)

Bill like I've been saying two programs can not share the same comport without some other software like OMNIRIG, COM0COM, etc... perhaps you were using one of these or similar before.

If WSJTX is already running and you start LOGic with rig control then you'll get that error.

If you start LOGic and it see's nothing on a comport that's configured wrong or in use by another program you'll get that error.

I'm happy to see you have made progress with the modes table.
Good luck,
Kyle

Thanks for your help throughout this episode.

I have decided to just work with what I have and I am well aware no two devices can share the same port and thinking about it, I believe it was Dennis WN???? that told me how to eliminate that "Modem" thing which I believe is something other than WSJT and Logic and as I write this, I think I may know what those other ports that I do not have anymore, where they came from. I'll check it out.

Like I said, it did work before my hard disk crash and BTW, I have no idea what omnirig and comocom is, never used them, never heard of them.

I will wait for the next version of Logic to solve the problem.

Bill
K2WH