logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Arduino Nanokeyer (WinKeyer)
DL6JZ
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 2:17:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I built a Arduino Nanokeyer (https://nanokeyer.wordpress.com/). The firmaware is by K3NG. This device emulates the WinKeyer 2. It can be configured to emulate the WinKeyer also. It works well with N1MM+ Logger, Logger32 and UCXLog. But it doesn't work correct with Logic. The behavior is the same in both modes.

1. After starting the WinKey form in Logic the following message appears: Improper initilization echo response from WinKey (COM13)
I read in an earlier post that only a baud rate mismatch can cause this error message. I can not believe it. The baudrate of the NanoKeyer is set to 1200 baud. This meets the WinKey protocol. Are there other checks in the program code of Logic which reply the above message?

2. While transmitting macros with no more than 8 characters the Nanokeyer works correct. If the macro has more than 8 characters the Nanokeyer stops after 8 characters. And when activating the next macro the Nanokeyer continues with transmitting the following characters of the FIRST macro. And it stops again after 8 characters. It always completes one macro before sending the following and it sends max. 8 characters only.

73 es happy easter
Wolf, DL6JZ

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 9:09:11 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Wolf:

Thanks for your note.

In reviewing the code, LOGic first sends
0 0 ff

(all valuesin Hex). This is to calibrate the WinKeyer.

LOGic then sends
0 4 55

LOGic waits for one character. It should be 55. If not, you get the error you are getting.

Quote:
I read in an earlier post that only a baud rate mismatch can cause this error message. I can not believe it. The baudrate of the NanoKeyer is set to 1200 baud. This meets the WinKey protocol.
Please provide a link to this post. I cannot find it.

Do you have any documentation on the commands that the NanoKeyer accepts? I went to the K1EL site, and couldn't find the detailed document that I used to program LOGic.

You could use our loopback program to send the above bytes to NanoKeyer and see how it responds.
http://www.hosenose.com/...1_Loopback-testing.aspx

Quote:
While transmitting macros with no more than 8 characters the Nanokeyer works correct.
Are you saying that NanoKeyer works (sort of) with LOGic, even after getting the error message? Does it say

Winkey version xxx ready

? What version does it say it is?

Does your documentation say what the buffer size of the NanoKeyer is?

The next thing we need is to find some documentation on programming it.

I see on the K1EL site that the documentation mentions a DLL. That might solve our problems. But I can't find that either. If no one responds, I'll contact K1EL and see what I can learn. But NanoKeyer is competition for Winkeyer, right?

There are some test programs here. Try them and see if any of them work.
https://www.k1elsystems.com/softwareX.html

Hope your Easter was good too!

Tnx for using LOGic.

Dennis WN4AZY
DL6JZ
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:46:11 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

thank you very much for the fast reply. I am not a software developer but I have some basic knowledge in programming. So my next step will be to try your loopback software. I want to see what data go from Logic to Nanokeyer and back. I can look into the sourcecode of the Nanokeyer. The Nanokeyer firmware can be found on https://github.com/k3ng/k3ng_cw_keyer. It is OpenSource sourcecode which has to be compiled and uploaded to the arduino by the Arduino IDE running on my Windows PC.

And I have to tell you that Logic works fine with the WinKeyer of my microKeyers II by microham.

Yes it is so. When starting the Winkey form the message "Improper initilization echo response from WinKey (COM13)" appears. And when I click on one of the function keys after that the (first eight) characters are sent by the Nanokeyer. No other message appears!

There was an earlier posting on Winkeyer, but the error message was another one, sri: "WinKey not FOUND (no echo)" (http://www.hosenose.com/Forum/yaf_postst1578_Winkeyer-and-Remote-Rig-virtual-serial-ports-with-logging-programs.aspx).

It will take some days for me to do the test with the loopback program.

Wolf, DL6JZ
DL6JZ
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 4:20:05 PM(UTC)

Hello Dennis again,

I made a short test with your LoopbackTest.exe.

- Params: COM13, DTR checked, RTS checked, 1200/N/One/8, Mode: Hex
- click on "Open Port"
- Entered into the upper field 0 0 FF --> click "Send text"
- Result in the field Received data: C0
- Entered into the upper field 0 4 55 --> click "Send text"
- Result in the field Received data: 55
- Switched Mode to Text
- Entered a text of more than 40 characters (upper letters and figures) into the Send field.
- Nanokeyer sent the whole text in correct morse code

Wolf, DL6JZ
DL6JZ
#5 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 4:31:07 PM(UTC)

Hello Dennis,

I didn't hear from you for quite a long time. Is there any chance that the issue will be fixed? As I wrote in my last post the LoopbackTest.exe works well with my Arduino Nanokeyer. The Winkey form of Logic sents only the first eight characters of a textmacro. After clicking the Transmit button the following eight characters are sent. So there must be a difference between LoopbackTest.exe and the Winkey form.
Below you can see the content of the Winkey debug window of Logger32 by K4CY. First I clicked on the button "initialize". You can see that the keyer sents the version back (10). Then I transmitted a 14 characters long textmacro "TU 44 DE DL6JZ".
How can I help to find the issue?
Wolf, DL6JZ

Initialize WinKey using COM 13

Sent: 00 02 Host open
Rcvd: 10
Sent: 00 00
Sent: "ÿ"
Sent: 0F 17 17 05 37 00 01 07 2B 03 00 05 0A 34 00 FF
Mode register = 23
Speed in WPM = 23
Sidetone frequency = 5
Weight = 55
Lead-in time = 0
Tail time = 1
Min WPM = 7
WPM range = 43
1st extension = 3
Key compensation = 0
Farnsworth WPM = 5
Paddle setpoint = 10
Dit/Dah ratio = 52
Pin configuration = 0
Anything = 255
Sent: 02 00 Set CW speed 0 WPM
Sent: 07 Get speed pot
Rcvd: C0 Nothing happening (no status bits set)
Rcvd: 98 Analog pot speed 31 WPM
Action: Start of transmission
Action: Get first character in text buffer
Action: Reading byte 1 of the 14 byte buffer
Action: Checking that a "T" is a valid WinKey character
Sent: "T"
Rcvd: C4 Keyer is busy sending
Rcvd: "T"
Action: Going to get more characters
Action: Getting next character in the text buffer
Action: Reading byte 2 of the 14 byte buffer
Action: Checking that a "U" is a valid WinKey character