logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Strange cross-linking of some sort
N8VZ
#1 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 3:00:04 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Dennis,

Starting today every time I try to import an ADIF file, before I get to the ADIF dialogue box, a window pops up saying it's installing a Roxio program that's already on my machine. It never completes, cant' be cancelled, and requires a complete reboot of my system to clear. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the Roxio program. That doesn't help. I tried to reinstall, without uninstalling, LOGic. That didn't help. I also installed the latest LOGic update. That didn't help either.

Here's a link to a screenshot of the Roxio popup:

https://mega.nz/#!cAMyWZbb!FMr1bVjEjT3bA5JwifZzTyOjuwGW3bBLFpYsdmpFdco

Any idea what's going on here. How to eliminate it. Very frustrating and very strange, IMHO.

Carl
N8VZ
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
wa4pgm
#2 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 6:53:01 AM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 2/2/2018(UTC)
N8VZ
#3 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 10:47:25 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

This is a similar but different problem. The link talks about Roxio Media Manager, my program is Roxio Easy CD/DVD, Also these folks don’t have the program already installed, but Windows Installer tries to instal it. The wayward Windows Installer seems the common thread. The strange thing in my case is the Roxio program and LOGic happily co-existed until yesterday. What happened to cause this problem I don’t know. I wonder if Roxio might also use FoxPro and my Runtime FoxPro is somehow corrupted. Just a wild guess.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 6:34:07 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi--

From your screen shot, I can't see what stage the ADIF import is at. Is it just the opening screen? Does the Roxio thing pop up after the ADIF dialog pops up, but before the file selector dialog pops up?

What I am thinking is this: The ADIF import form remembers the last location you imported from. For instance, if you import something from z:\xyxxy, the dialog will automatically point to z:\zyzzy the next time you use ADIF import. So I am guessing that this remembered location got set to your DVD drive somehow. That SHOULDN'T cause the Roxio thing to come up of course, but if they hooked their installer into any reference to the DVD drive, that would explain it.

To reset the remembered location, go into the LOGic install folder. Open PDA.INI in notepad or any text editor. Look for the
[Default Directories]
section.

Look for an entry under it like this:
Select ADIF log file=F:\

If it is pointed to your DVD drive, change it to something else or just delete the whole line. May as well fix any other paths listed.

Let me know.

WN4AZY
N8VZ
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:31:43 PM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Dennis,

Your thought here seemed quite logical, however, when I checked that pda.ini file the line that you indicated did not point toward the CD/DVD drive. It, instead, pointed just where it should point, to the last place that I imported an ADIF file from. It read: "Select ADIF log file=C:\Users\cjden\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\" So I would guess we'd need to look somewhere else for a solution.

To answer your question: Yes, the Roxio thing pops up right after the ADIF dialog pops up, but before the file selector dialog pops up. In fact, it pops up so quickly that the "Roxio thing" is almost simultaneously with the ADIF dialogue box.

Any other suggestions of things to look for. In all my years of computing this is one of the strangest that I've encountered. At least in my top ten! ;-)

Carl
N8VZ
N8VZ
#6 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2018 12:14:11 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

I also did a quick and dirty look through the registry searching for PDA, Logic, and Roxio, and found nothing obviously wrong. Though I don't read hex, so there might have been something strange in one of the hex strings that went undetected by me. -- CJD
N8VZ
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:34:16 AM(UTC)
cjdenbow

Man

Well, I solved the problem. I completely uninstalled Roxio Easy CD/DVD from my machine and did a reboot. Now I can import ADIF files without the Roxio crap trying to do an install which never finishes. I found a freeware program that actually does more than the Roxio one. For the record, it's called AnyBurn, and can be downloaded here: http://www.anyburn.com/download.php. You do have to skip an offer to put a new search engine in Chrome, but otherwise it's free of adware and malware.
WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:50:38 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
FB.

Another good free one is IMGBURN.
http://imgburn.com/

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY