logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

IC-7100: Problem with CI-V address 88h
DL6JZ
#1 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 2:16:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am running my IC-7100 as a remote-station with RemoteRig RRC 1258 MkII-boxes. The computer on the operator's site is running Windows 10/64 bit and connected through a USB <-> RS232-converter to COM2 of the RemoteRig control box. In the Windows device manager the COM-port appears as COM3.
When I configure the radio interface with the correct CI-V-address 88h and click OK a message appears: "Interface OK. But rig not found at ddress 88h. Please change the MODE on your rig and press OK to proceed."
When done Logic 9 crashes or another message appears: "A rig was found at address 88h. Please specify this address ...". And the programme works or crashes. The behaviour is different from time to time. It's a bit annoying.
Wolf, DL6JZ
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
DL6JZ
#2 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 7:56:24 AM(UTC)

I found a workaround. OmniRig as radio-interface works well together with virtual COM-ports also.

Logic 9 has got strange problems in case of directing the radio-interface to a virtual COM-port. The Eltima Serial Port Splitter is working on my computer. It splits one real COM-Port COM6 into two virtual ports. One (COM7) is used for remote-control of the radio, the second (COM8) for the logging software. All the other software I tried works well (DX Comander, Logger32, UCXLog, ...). Logic 9 crashes immediately when I try to configure the radio port so that it is directed to a virtual COM-port. So this seems not to be a general problem but a specific one of Logic. If there is some interest I would reproduce the several error messages and post them.

Wolf, DL6JZ
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:53:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Hi Wolf:

When it crashes, is there an error message? What does it say?

LOGic uses the Icom CI/V Transceive feature to keep the display updated. The rig sends the data to the computer automatically. LOGic does not poll for it unless it actually needs it for something like when logging a QSO. Many virtual RS-232 ports will not handle this. It probably isn't LOGic crashing, but the driver causing an error in Windows. LOGic displays this as an OLE Error.

LOGic uses the .Net framework for the non-legacy interfaces, and Windows API for the legacy interfaces. You might try both.

I have heard good things about Eltima, and I have used the free COM0COM version.

But the thing to do is to get it to work with a regular COM port or a FTDI-Based USB=>RS232 adapter. I'm not sure what the split port is doing, and if it is here or there to LOGic.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
DL6JZ
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2016 11:55:57 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,
thank you for your reply. Here is a "log file" of one of my tries:

Logic 9, ver. 9.1.6
Tools --> Setup --> Misc ham setup, rig, TNC ...
Register tab Radio Ifc
Icom with VFO A/B, filter control (51)
COM3 (provided by RemoteRig RRC-1258 MKII)
88h
"IC-7100"
Poll is not activated
[OK]
Message box: Interface OK, but rig not found at address 88h.
A test will be performed to find ...
[OK]
Message box: No input found on COM3
Message box: OLE error code 0x80020006: Unbekannter Name (unknown name, 6JZ)
[Ignore]
--> No rig control
Exit Logic 9

But there is one strange behaviour of Logic: Some of the error messages disappear after 2 or 3 seconds or so. And so it is very difficult to write an exact protocol.

Wolf, DL6JZ