logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Telnet: persist in connection request.
KA1J
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:52:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

I would like a feature to automatically reconnect the telnet when it disconnects.

I am always connected to the internet and leave the Ham computer on with Logic running 24/7. When I get to the station I first look at the Spot log for any activity posted which I need and too often I find the spot log is not current as the telnet function has disconnected some hours earlier. To wit: I need Bhutan, it is an ATNO for me and they are active this week. I came down this morning to see if they are/were posted while I slept and found the telnet had disconnected six hours earlier.

When that disconnect happens I can not tell if something needed has showed up & if so, where and what time it was. That specific info is always helpful with short DX windows so I know where to be the next day to work them. If this feature already exists, I can not find the location to select having the telnet function persist in maintaining a connected state.

Perhaps some of the telnet hosts kick users off after a period of time and that is why the disconnect. I do know that nearly every time I click Connect, it does so without hiccup so the link is available, its just not currently active in Logic. If an auto reconnect option with persist upon failure were available, Logic users wouldn't miss any of the spots being posted & showing up on the spot log.

I know during contests there are some hosts that provide a good local link to support the contest and after it is over, they close down the connection. Maybe those hosts are only active when they are at their contest station and shut off all power when they leave, but when they are gone the spot log is inactive. Unless you have the telnet window open and can see the "Disc" button depressed, there is no way to know if there are no new needed spots coming in, or if the connection has been lost.

Understanding a link may only be intermittently available and To attempt maintaining continuity; what would be ideal would be for the user (or done automatically), to select a pool of what are the "local" hosts for the Logic user and if a host refuses to allow a logon or is not active, rotate to the next one in the pool and if that one is not available, connect to the next and cycle through the list of local hosts for a live one.

I can see having a favorite host that you want to list as primary and if that host is not available, cycle to the next and if/when that one disconnects, the telnet feature will attempt to connect with your preferred host first.

Thanks for the consideration & 73,

Gary
KA1J
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
wa4pgm
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:32:12 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Gary,
After reconnecting you can use the following commands to see when the station was on the air.

sh/dx/10 a5 - will show last 10 spots for A5
sh/dx/25 a5 - will show last 25 spots for A5

or if it a specific station use
sh/dx/10 a52lss

I have noticed that my local cluster(W4ML) I get disconnected frequently while others(W3LPL, N0VD) I stay connected for days and days. Some clusters will do maintenance in the middle of the night to avoid outages.

Hope this helps and GL working A5!!!
73 Kyle
1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/24/2016(UTC)
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 12:50:29 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
There is a KEEP ALIVE feature that sends a Carriage Return every 5 minutes or whatever. That might help.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
KA1J
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:30:02 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered, Beta Testers

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

I see that under options. It is already set to 5 minutes so apparently there is something else that causes it to disconnect and stay disconnected. When I found it disconnected (and led to this request), it had been disconnected for quite a few hours, maybe 6-7, don't recall but there was a huge gap in the spots because of the disconnect.

If disconnected, it would be helpful to have a default to automatically reconnect. Better would be; to have that and an auto seek for preferential links if the one you were set on does not respond.

Putting up a 6M add-on to the tribander try for CY9C before they QRT.

Gary
KA1J