logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Logging QSO then up arrow locks in callbook screen
K8ZM
#22 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2016 7:25:53 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Mike, In my opinion you would benefit by getting some form of subscription from QRZ. I started with just the basic subscription and the "ad free" option. The non-subscriber Callbook window works great once your logged into QRZ. Hitting the tab button when in the call field of the logbook is sweet, and since the Callbooks browser window is self contained inside that window you can scroll the logged stations QRZ page, its "almost" a real browser, but it does have limitations. I have imported the address for sending QSL's and that feature works great. I haven't used the other log importing functions so cant speak as to how they work. Grid Mapper nor DX Country Atlas display in the Callbook window. Not a show stopper for me as I wouldn't typically do that level of browsing in my "little" Callbook window, I just launch a full browser window. The only feature for me that doesn't work is when you hit the up arrow button while in the call field of the logform. This freezes you in the Callbook window until you hit the "Return from Ad" button. Since I'm focused on making Q's, I don't need added navigation and mouse clicks.

The subscriber version (QRZ XML) doesn't work in the same way at all. I just "upgraded" to the XML version (with ad-free option, "Premium"). Sadly it didn't give me what I thought it was....and not functioning the same as the non-subscriber version was a disappointment. If you don't mind having to mouse click in the Callbook window to get the other stations webpage launched in a new browser window for every look-up, then it may be fine for you. If you don't need any browser functions at all then its fine. If you have multiple monitors and lots of screen space for more windows then it also may be fine. I am back using the non-subscriber version as its far more functional for me. I just avoid the up arrow anomaly by not using it....

73 de, Brad N8GLS

1 user thanked K8ZM for this useful post.
kf4bq on 9/2/2016(UTC)
kf4bq
#21 Posted : Friday, September 2, 2016 9:41:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Quote:
Grid square is from zip and not from selected Callbook. i.e. only QRZ enabled, all other disabled and grid square doesn't match QRZ database.
I looked up you and me, and LOGic and the web site show the same grid. Please send me an example call. I looked at the code and I am getting the lat/lon from QRZ, then calculating the grid from that. So either my code is not working as it should, or QRZ has discrepancies between the lat/lon and grid. I thought maybe people could update their own grid like CQ Zone, but apparently not.

When I disable all callbooks other than QRZ and log your call I get EM84CA from logic....QRZ shows your location as EM83dx.

Same for my call (now KM2J) get EL87PR in logic and QRZ shows EL87os.

You can update your location in QRZ by showing map and moving red/orange marker. It is correct on lat lon and grid square.

Mike
WN4AZY
#23 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:59:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Ok, you're right. The LOGic lookup from QRZ.COM does get the lat/lon and hence gridsquare from the ZIP code. There is a note to this effect in the callbook setup screen under QRZ.COM. That's how LOGic works if the source does not include lat/lon. And the QRZ.COM side does not include lat/lon, so.... It would be possible for me to start with the grid square from qrz.com and work backwards from there.

The QRZ XML Subscription in LOGic does agree with the grid square on the web site, so that's working.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
kf4bq
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:21:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post

The QRZ XML Subscription in LOGic does agree with the grid square on the web site, so that's working.

Just got the premium subscription from QRZ. Yes, now the grid sq is correct (if selecting the QRZ sub in the callbook form); but also see what Brad was saying about the QRZ info not showing up in the callbook form now. Sure would be nice to have the good features of each as Brad suggested.

With the QRZ sub selected the Browser button doesn't work (opens to blank page) but looks like you can click on the QRZ.com text in the form. Kind of messy now with all the browser windows and clicks as Brad pointed out.

I think with the premium subscription now though, all the troubles with the intermittent logging and crashing may be gone. Logic was almost unusable before with any callbook lookup; had to TAB in the call field 5-10 times for every contact; and callbook-to-log caused instant program crash.

Mike