logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Need info for Keyer and Logic 8
NP3K
#1 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 3:13:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Can anyone just give me the exact things that I need to setup a keyer, interface, ect.ect.
I'm using Logic8, might upgrade to 9. I have a yeasu ft-950 connect to the serial port of the PC. I want to be able to use the keyboard/logic's keyer and/or the key itself.
For a keyer I'm using a K-5, do I have to get like a USB K1EL keyer? if so, what else do I need to set up and keeping the serial port the radio to PC.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Charlie NP3K
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 11:52:02 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Charlie:

There are two ways to go with keying. K1EL and Logic's built-in keyer.

K1EL is good in that it takes processing load off the computer. However, LOGic 9 uses multitasking and does keying in its own hi-priority thread. You can watch a video and send CW on a computer that has multi processors, which is probably anything sold in the past 5 years, and the keying hardware is cheaper.

To use Logic's built-in keyer, you need one of these,
http://www.hosenose.com/...mp;PrimaryCatID=47&

or build one yourself. I did a quick search and this is the first link I came up with:
http://mm0wst.blogspot.c...r-own-cw-rig-keyer.html

Let me know if any questions.

Tnx for using LOGic.

Dennis WN4AZY
1 user thanked WN4AZY for this useful post.
NP3K on 2/12/2015(UTC)
NP3K
#3 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 1:26:43 PM(UTC)

Dennis - thanks for the info, but I'm still a bit confused. I want to be able to still use my external keyer and also use logic to keyer also. I already have my pc serial port to the radio for the logger and I have a logikey K5 to the radio. If I get the interface with the USB, can I still keep the same setup? I would like to know what In need to have both keyer options and also have logic connected to the PC for the logging part.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 7:43:10 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, the current PC connection that allows LOGic to talk to the radio, ignore that for now. It has no effect on CW keying. Nothing will change with that -- it stays exactly as-is.

You will need to add either a K1EL WinKeyer or one of these
http://www.hosenose.com/...mp;PrimaryCatID=47&
Correct, with the USB option it will plug into a USB port.

You can order one of these to use a WinKeyer with USB:
http://www.hosenose.com/...mp;PrimaryCatID=46&

Anyway, get either of the above.

Now the question becomes "how do I connect the K-5 and LOGic?"? Well, either keyer option listed above looks exactly like a straight key to the rig. So just ask "how do I connect a straight key along with my K5? The K5 may have a jack for that. If not, using a Y connector at the key socket of the rig should work.

Let me know if any other questions.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

http://www.idiompress.com/k5.php
NP3K on 2/12/2015(UTC)
NP3K
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2015 4:49:55 PM(UTC)

I’m still a bit confused. Let’s say I just want to keep my K5 keyer directly connected to the rig. I was reading on Logic 9 the serial port interface is sharable with rig, maybe that’s all I need. I have my FT-950 connected directly to the serial port on the PC. So the question is, if I upgrade to Logic 9 from 8 how can I use the Logic cw keyer and also keep logic connected to rigs interface via serial port and keep K5 keyer on the radio.
Thanks and sorry for so many questions. Crying
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2015 9:30:51 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Correct, you can use the same RS-232 port for both rig control and CW keying. BTW, this is because the rig uses the TX and RX lines of the port, and CW keying uses the DTR pin. Physically, you need a Y connector like this:
http://www.hosenose.com/...mp;PrimaryCatID=46&
There is nothing special about this cable -- if you can find one locally with the one female and two males, it will work.

As for how to set this up: LOGic 9's under-the-hood serial implementation is quite different than LOGic 8. LOGic 8 (and most other software for that matter) talks directly to the serial port. LOGic 9 has an intermediate library that it talks to. So if you want to use the TX and RX lines for the rig, DTR for the keyer, and RTS for something else, the library will open the port once, but let the different parts of LOGic share this connection.

It all sounds quite complicated, but setup is actually quite simple. Tell the rig to use COM 4, and the CW keyer to use COM 4 DTR, and you are done. I have pasted the relevant part of LOGic 9's Help below.

Let me know if any other questions.

Dennis WN4AZY

Using RS-232 Serial Ports
Starting with version 9, LOGic features RS-232 serial port sharing. For instance, you may use a free DTR or RTS line on any serial port used by any other device by simply configuring the two devices to the same port.

Limited port sharing was possible in previous versions of LOGic, but it was more complicated and less flexible. Icom radios, by default, all used the same port. If you wanted to put a second Icom on its own port, you would have to use a different radio driver. You could share CW keying with a radio port by selecting SHARE WITH RADIO 1 or whatever in the CW keyer port selection. However, you could not share a port between a rotor and CW keyer.

In LOGic 9, you merely assign devices to ports -- you don't have to do anything differently to share a port. If you have your radio on COM8 and want to use COM8 DTR for CW keying, simply select COM8 for the radio, setting it up in LOGic as usual. Then set up the keyer, specifying COM8 and DTR, as usual. An inexpensive Y cable handles the physical connections.

Potentially any port may be shared with anything. For example, PTT keying may be done using a free DTR or RTS line on a port being used by a radio, rotor, or WinKeyer. Icom radios may share ports, and the port used by the new FT-2000/5000/9000 rotor interface must be shared with the radio.

Note that LOGic's port-sharing only works for compatible devices. For example, you can't share a port with a Kenwood and Yaesu radio. It simply is not possible to do this due to hardware limitations. LOGic usually prevents you from trying to set up impossible sharing scenarios. For example, when you set up a Kenwood radio, LOGic knows to reserve the TX and RX lines and not let anything else use them (you can still use the DTR line for keying, or the RTS line also, provided it is not used to power the W1GEE Kenwood level converter). However, the FT-5000 allows sharing the port so that the rotor interfaced to the FT-5000 may be controlled. So there is nothing in LOGic's setup to prevent you from frying to share the TX/RX lines between an FT-5000 and an Icom.

When sharing the TX/RX lines between devices, the baud rate and stop bits of all devices must be set identically.

Clicking Tools/Advanced/Serial Port Status on LOGic's menu bar displays serial port status.

You can see which ports are installed in your computer, any errors that would prevent you from using the port, and if in use by LOGic, a description of what is using it, and the port settings used. In this example, COM1 is in use by another program or LOGic legacy interface (see below). COM5 is not usable because of a system error (this cryptic error message results because COM5 is a Fax).

COM 8 is used by an IC 736. It is using the TX and RX lines (we know this because the baud rate column is filled in), and also using RTS. Exclusive is not checked, meaning that other compatible radios could also be set up to use the TX/RX lines and RTS on COM8.

COM8 is also in use by the CW Keyer. The keyer is using the DTR line. Exclusive is checked, meaning that no other device can be configured to use the DTR line.

There is a button to show serial port status in the Keyer, Winkeyer, and Radio/Rotor setup screens (toos/setup/misc ham setup). All radio and rotor ports are closed when in the Radio/Rotor setup screen. You may use the button to see what ports are installed in the system and which are used by other software, but it does not reflect your port selection for radios and rotors, as the radio/rotor ports are not opened until you close this form. To see the status of serial ports with all devices operating, click Tools/Advanced/Serial Port Status.

Note that you must only share serial port resources with compatible devices. For example, we could configure another Icom radio on COM8. The icom would have to be using the same CI/V bus as the IC-736, and would have to be configured to the same baud rate. LOGic would not let you share the DTR line with the CW Keyer, because the Keyer needs exclusive access to the line used for keying. However, LOGic would not prevent you from trying to configure an FT-5000 to use COM8. The FT-5000 permits port sharing so that a rotor attached to the rig may be used. However, this setup obviously would not work.

Port sharing has necessitated a rewrite of all radio and rotor interfaces. The old interfaces will be available until we get all of the interfaces rewritten. However, they do not support port sharing. The show up in the driver selection dropdown menu with a (legacy)) notation. Legacy drivers only support COM1 through COM16. Com ports used by legacy interfaces will show Unavailable: Access to the port 'COMn' is denied. (already open) in the port status display.
File Attachment(s):
Capture.PNG (38kb) downloaded 48 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
NP3K on 2/9/2015(UTC)