logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Import ADIF. Long field names import incorrectly.
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 23, 2014 2:54:45 AM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Dennis,

Today, I have agreed to act as QSL manager for a friend of mine. He is starting a 5 year trip around Australia journey and the implications of "QTH locations" in eQSL and LOTW has him very confused. He uses LOGGER32 from K4CY - http://www.logger32.net

LOGGER32 is good in that it only uses fields from the ADIF specification 2.2 and imports and exports them well. LOGGER32 also uses the ADIF custom APP-<programid> field names.

Today I tried importing the LOGGER32 ADIF data into LOGic, and it worked no errors. But, I discovered an anomaly in the LOGGER32 field processing.

The following fields are part of the LOGGER32 ADIF data ...
<APP_LOGGER32_QSL:1>Y <APP_LOGGER32_eQSL:1>Y <APP_LOGGER32_LoTW:1>Y <APP_LOGGER32_QSO_NUMBER:5>12285

... which results in confusion in LOGic between ...

<APP_LOGGER32_QSL:1>Y
<APP_LOGGER32_QSO_NUMBER:5>12285

... when stored in the LOGic database. My field for APP_LOGGER32_QSL appears twice in the LOGic userfields data, with the values Y and 12285.

Changing APP_LOGGER32_QSO_NUMBER to APP_LOGGER32_XSO_NUMBER in the input ADIF file, so that the fields differ in name in the first 14 character, results in the correct data in the LOGic database. LOGic DXCC totals and other record totals, tally with LOGGER32.

It would appear that the ADIF LOGic import, other program field names, are limited to the first 14 characters.

An extension in the field name limit would relieve me of the chore of editing the ADIF input file before importing into LOGic.

Thanks for your efforts.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
vk4iu
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:12:05 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Dennis,

I have been struggling to find out exactly what ADIF fields LOGGER32 exports/imports - there is little in the Help file to assist. I found on the Internet an Excel spreadsheet by Harald DL1HW, that imports LOGGER32 ADIF files, extracting all the field names in the Input file.

When I tried to setup user log fields in LOGic 9 for import/export to/from LOGic 9, I ran into more problems.

Some of the fields exported by LOGGER32 are very long - for example: APP_LOGGER32_CREDIT_SUBMITTED. 29 characters.

So long, they exceed the character limit of the "ADIF Name" field in LOGic 9 - on the Log Fields, ADIF panel in Tools, Setup, Log Fields, Spotting and Award Tracking.

I note that the length of ADIF_NAME in the LOGic LOGFIELDS database structure is 26 characters. So I have used Tools, Advanced Database commands to manually Edit the LOGFIELDS database to enter the long ADIF names.

And while examining the code, you may like to give thought to increasing the length of the "FIELD_NAME" item of the LOGFIELDS database structure. These are internal to LOGic so can be shorter, but ...

I have been debugging CONTEST logforms, and to that end, adding the LOGic contest user fields to the LOGFIELDS database so they can be included on my "debugging logform" for a contest - to verify my items in the Logform, Contest Setup. For example CON_MULTPTSx - does not fit in the field name Log fields, Name field, nor is the LOGFIELDS database item wide enough to accommodate the name. Using the same technique as above, I have extended the LOGFIELDS database item definition, modifying the structure of the LOGFIELDS database, and entering the longer field names.

I would appreciate permanent changes to the permissible maximum length of these fields in the Log Fields database input form, and permanent changes to the length of LOGFIELDS database items.

I could not find a "maximum name length" in the ADIF specification. Given its free form nature, perhaps that is to be expected. 15 chars for the Field Name field width would cover the LOGic internal contest fields, and a maximum input length of 26 chars (or more) would seem appropriate for the ADIF name input field and database item length.
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:40:44 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Ok, I didn't realize there was a limit to LOGIc in the ADIF field names. I'll look at that.