logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Sluggish "Jerky" behavior in Win7 Home Premium 64 bit
N0AN
#1 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 12:17:03 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Win 7 Home Premium 6 gig ram, Quad Core HP computer.
Processor is not overly busy, all cores showing < 20%.
Running with TRX-Manager and TS-2000 radio.
Connected to internet Cluster (not a web site), for spotting.
HamQTH Callbook site (not QRZ)

The program is running very sluggishly. As spots come in, the program gets caught in some sort of delay, so that when I go to double click on a spot, it ends up actually operating on the next spot above it in the table (a more recent spot). When I click for a set rig or a set and log, there is a delay of at least a second before the mouse click(s) are executed. If I try to scroll down, it takes several tries for scrolling to happen, or several clicks on the down or up arrow for the clicks to be executed.

It is as if the program is too busy internally to properly process the mouse commands.
The same thing happens when I try to enter text in the log field comment area. The character does not appear until I'm two or three characters ahead in my typing.

This overall sluggishness is making the program nearly unusable. I constantly end up on the wrong freq, because the double click is not taken on the line I am trying to click it on.

With a computer this fast, with plenty of memory and only a browser running in the background, I can't see what is causing the program to be so bogged down. My other apps run just fine, and TRX Manager is plenty quick. (All while Logic9 is running so sluggishly.)

What am I doing wrong?

I have the following open in Logic 9:

1. Telnet to DX Cluster
2. Info Pane
3. Worked Before Pane
4. DX Spots
5. Mini Log
6. DXCC Progress Pane
7. Callbook Lookup

Any help would be very appreciated, as even though I've been using this combo (Logic and TRX) for many years, I am considering looking for a new logging/rig control program as it is so unpleasant and frustrating trying to use the program (especially chasing dx) while it is behaving like this.

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

...hasan, N0AN
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:45:43 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi Hasan:

Not sure what the problem is. You don't have that much running....

Make sure that LOGic is not running in compatibility mode of any sort.

Are you using a USB=>RS232 adapter with your radio, and if so, is it non-FTDI?

Is the whole computer slow, or just LOGic?

I would try disabling the radio and spotting as a diagnostic measure.

Has it always been slow, or is this a more recent development?

Defragging the hard disk never hurts. LOGic probably is more disk-intensive than most programs, but still I wouldn't think it would be that slow.

Do you have the latest .71 update? It still shouldn't be slow, but so we are on the same page....

You could try doing a clean install. Copy the LOGic install folder (probably c:\program files (x86)\logic to a safe place, uninstall, then delete the c:\program files (x86)\logic folder. Do a new install. If it is still slow, just delete the c:\program files (x86)\logic folder, and put your backup copy in its place to get back to where you were.

Let me know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

N0AN
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:20:03 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis!

The slowness is only inside Logic9. The processor loading is light overall (about 15% Max). Half physical memory is free.
FTDI only. Been inactive for months, and that should have been a clue.

I think I found it today. I was a few versions behind in TRX Manager, and today updated to 5.3 (was running an earlier 5.x). As soon as I did that, the halting and sluggishness of the UI seemed to disappear. I'll play with it more and get back to you, but I think I may have hit on the solution. Interesting that a slightly older (few months) version of TRX could cause the problem, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

What do you think?

Thanks so much for the quick reply. 73, ...hasan, N0AN
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 9:36:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, if that fixed it! I learned something. Thank you.

Dennis WN4AZY
vk4iu
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 2:50:41 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

... in my experience, if TRX was minimised while LOGic was active, it would have the affect you are seeing.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
N0AN
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:06:33 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: vk4iu Go to Quoted Post
G'Day,

... in my experience, if TRX was minimised while LOGic was active, it would have the affect you are seeing.

Thanks, I'll try that (minimizing TRX with Logic active and see if the problem returns.

Since I upgraded TRX, that problem has not returned, however, before when I had the problem, TRX was not minimized, as I never do that. It runs in a small window, so I can keep an eye on it. I don't recall every minimizing it, but, when I have time to check it, I'll try it to see if I can duplicate the issue.

Dennis: it has been a couple days, and things are still working correctly, responsive and no "frustration". Most interesting.
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Friday, November 7, 2014 9:29:19 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Cool.

Maybe simply reinstalling TRX-Manager fixed it, rather than the new version per se.

It here is a verifiable and repeatable problem with TRX being minimized, I need to let Laurent know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
N0AN
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:24:41 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: WN4AZY Go to Quoted Post
Cool.

Maybe simply reinstalling TRX-Manager fixed it, rather than the new version per se.

It here is a verifiable and repeatable problem with TRX being minimized, I need to let Laurent know.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

That's a good theory (re-install is essentially what happens during an upgrade, even a patch of TRX).
Things continue to run just fine, so at least the problem is fixed! Thanks for your help. I have not been able to replicate the TRX minimize issue, but I haven't tried that hard yet. Maybe tomorrow if I get over this cold. 73,

...hasan, N0AN
vk4iu
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 16, 2014 4:54:01 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day Hasan,

You should read the OLE section of the TRX Manager Help file. In the TRX Manager Help file, look for Utilities, OLE Link, Running LOGic in the table of contents, or search the help for "LOGic 5".

Part of the relevant text says ....

Quote:
Note
When TRX-Manager is minimised, the CAT communication stops. You may wish to disable this ability to keep the benefit of the Automode feature : the solution is to avoid minimisation of the TRX-Manager's main window ; you may run LOGic with TRX-Manager maximised in background; a slight reduction of the PC speed is perceptible.

... hence the presence of the MAX button on the radio control panel within LOGic, and the advice to start TRX Manager before starting LOGic.

Reading the material on TRX Manager's Automode is also relevant.

All these things will combine together, and result in what you experienced. Re-installation of TRX Manager resets a lot of things.

Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.