logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Announce.vcx error on startup
K7UA
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 1:19:31 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

After having problems installing then uninstalling the Firefox browser on my PC my Logic9 now is getting an error on startup of: "announce.vcx announcer.initialize_announce" that crashes Logic9. I have a full backup of the Logic folder on another hard drive from a few days ago and a new backup of the current folder. I can probably copy the full backup folder from my other hard drive and fix it, but the data is a few days out of date. Of course the data is current in the backup folder that is brand new, but the program is probably corrupted there. Can anyone help me get out of this mess? If I copy the good, but slightly old backup into production how can I then get the latest data from the newer backup into Logic9? Thanks for any help. 73, Bryce K7UA
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K7UA
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 3:03:43 PM(UTC)

I replaced an old PC several months ago that was running Logic 9. I was able to copy the data off to that machine and get it running. My new PC still has the problem and I don't know where to go from here. Maybe a complete reinstall? 73, Bryce
WN4AZY
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:38:14 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Hi--

Please install the latest update. It may give a more complete error message.

If the error message says something about "SLimDX", do this:

http://www.hosenose.com/...ize-announce-error.aspx

You can try that anyway -- it won't hurt anything and doesn't take long.

Let me know.

Tnx/73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K7UA
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 11:57:20 PM(UTC)

Dennis, thank you for your reply. This all started when the ARRL DXCC online application wouldn't run right with Internet Explorer and they said to install the Firefox Browser. The download for Firefox basically hijacked my machine and loaded it up with many unwanted programs. I aborted the hijacking and individually removed the unwanted programs. That is when I started getting the Logic error. I did as you said and updated Logic. That didn't do it, but I went back to an earlier operating system restore point and it fixed the problem which did involve the SlimDX stuff. Somehow it had been deleted. At that point Logic was working, but the other crap that was installed was still there and would not uninstall. I went back to the next earlier restore point and got rid of the malware crap. That is now all gone, but I'm getting another error from Logic involving licensing. "Error 1426 OLE error code 0x8007002: the system cannot find the file specified. has occurred in program license.init, line0". If I say to keep trying it comes up with "Your license file is invalid - please reinstall." I ran the update again, but I am still getting the licensing error. What should I do next? Perhaps something has been lost in the registry. I have the whole Logic folder backed up and also still have the installation .exe from 5 months ago. Your help is greatly appreciated. Bryce
K7UA
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:10:24 AM(UTC)

I just checked and found the "license file" in the Logic folder. It is there ok and the contents are identical to the same file in my backup folder. Perhaps it needs to get reregistered or something??? Thanks, Bryce
K7UA
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 8:00:56 AM(UTC)

I'm not quite sure how it got resolved, but it is running now. Windows did a series of automatic updates over night. It is fixed!
Thank you very much for your help. Bryce