logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Timeout message
K1VC
#1 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2011 2:08:16 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I've been getting the following message all day today:

"A timeout has ocurred while atempting to communicate with a rig.
Make sure rig is turned on and check cabling and setup paramaters.

(get_cur() flags) 0 characters in buffer

I have to go to Tools > Reset Radio & Rotor interface.

The radio is turned on (FT-1000D) and the CAT system is on connected o the radio (I see the flashing CAT System on the radio's screen).

I don' have anything else connected to the radio.

Any ideas what might be causing the radio to lose communication with LOGic ?
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:48:36 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
LOGic polls the rig periodically (using the POLLING INTERVAL setting in rig setup). If the rig fails to respond after a few attempts, LOGic throws this error and disconnects from the rig.

First, I'd try shutting down the computer, powering off everything, then trying again.

It it started happening all of a sudden and you didn't change anything, it is likely hardware. Check all connections.

In LOGic, check that the polling interval didn't get changed. If it is too short you could get this error. Two seconds is good. Try changing the STOP BITS setting.

If it happens only while transmitting, it is probably RFI. Maybe something on your antenna system needs looking at.

What sort of serial port are you using? (On the motherboard, USB adapter...)

Let us know.
K1VC
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:23:14 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,
I rebooted the pc and checked all the connections. I'm using a serial port with the FIF-232C CAT System interface. The polling interval in LOGic was set to 2.0 (I changed it to 3.0). The STOP BITS is set to 2.0. The error happens no matter if I'm transmitting or just listening. Now that I've changed the polling interval to 3.0, it hasn't happened in a while, but I'll post a message if it happens.
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:34:50 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, strange that 3 seconds would fix it. Two is normally way more than enough. You start getting problems with < 1/2 second as I recall.

Is the computer dreadfully slow? Maybe defrag the disk, make sure no malware, etc. -- general maintenance.
K1VC
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:46:18 PM(UTC)

Well, I thought 3 seconds fixed it but the error timeout returned. The PC is running fine (Windows 7). I defragged and ran malware, spyware and it came up clean. I'll put the polling back to 2. I wasn't transmitting at all when it happened. I was going through my log and just listening to 40 CW when it happened again.

Update 12/31/2011: I am logged into a local node using Telnet1 and have been listening to ZS4L on 15 meters for the past hour and the timeout message has appeared a dozen times. I've had to reset the radio each time. The pc has been defragged several times and is running fine, I ran maleware and spyware (nothing found).

The STOP BITS is set to 2 for the FT-1000D and the POLLING INTERVALS is set to 2.0, BAUD RATE is set to Ø (default). All the cables to the radio and CAT interface have been checked and are secured.

I am out of ideas what might be causing the timeout error to appear so many times Confused
K1VC
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2014 8:08:18 AM(UTC)

Hello,

I finally upgraded to LOGic 9. Unfortunately, I still get the timeout error window and I also noticed that my CAT System indicator on my 1000D does not blink at a steady interval. It'll blink steady for a while but then it acts up and that's when I get the timeout error, regardless if I'm transmitting or just listening.

I'm running Windows 7, LOGic 9.0.71, Port = COM1, Baud rate = 4800, STOP BITS = 2, DTR and RTS both checked, Polling interval = 2.0.

Another issue I've been having, LOGic 9 opens and closes at a snails pace where LOGic 8 is so much quicker. It takes almost a minute to open or close LOGic 9. I can't even begin to try and update a prefix table or go into my setup menu. LOGic 9 will hang for a very long time. This issue was never seen in LOGic 8.

Any thoughts?

Vin, 73
K1VC
WN4AZY
#7 Posted : Monday, November 17, 2014 9:31:48 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Vin:

Make sure LOGic 9 isn't running in compatibility mode. That will make it dreadfully slow when accessing the Prefix table (which it does all the time). Right-click the shortcut you use to start it, and look at the COMPATABILITY tab.

As for the flakiness of the rig, are you using any USB=>RS232 adapters? Anything without a FTDI driver is suspect.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K1VC
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2014 6:42:28 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

I checked the shortcut and it is not running in compatibility mode.

As for the radio, I am using a Yaesu Cat FIF-232C. I don't recall any FTDI drivers installed. Should they be installed?

Vin, 73
K1VC

WN4AZY
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:42:03 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi--

What are you using for an RS-232 port on your computer to plug the FIF-232C into? If it is a USB=>RS232 adapter, then it has drivers. If it is made by FTDI it will have FTDI drivers. If from some other manufacturer, then it will have their drivers. Only FTDI is known to work.

Other manufacturers may work. Those that do not cause errors, not slowness that I have seen. Still, you could try disabling the rig and seeing if that fixes the slowness.

Call me and I can log in and take a look too -- I might see something.

Tnx/73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K1VC
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 15, 2015 12:02:21 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

I'm still experiencing a very slow start up and shut down of LOGic9. I compared my LOGic8.0.104 properties to LOGic9.

LOGic8:
Installed in C:\LOGic8\LOGic8.exe
Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack3)

LOGic9:
Location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\LOGic
Installed in "C:\Program Files\LOGic9\LOGic.exe"
Run this program in compatibility mode (is NOT checked off)

Could the different settings be causing the slow startup and shut down? If so, do I need to re-install LOGic9?

Thank you,
Vin
K1VC
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:37:29 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

LOGic 9.0.71 is still running painfully slow. I sent you an email this evening because I could not import my adif file for the CQWW 160 M SSB contest I just completed this weekend. I also found the following "not responding" messages:

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\LOGic9\logic.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: logic.exe
Application Version: 9.0.71.0
Application Timestamp: 47139f24
Hang Signature: 44b8
Hang Type: 6400
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 44b8acadaba4d3ab1b38506572dd3e54
Additional Hang Signature 2: 3079
Additional Hang Signature 3: 307978a87f1955d2bdb8c7abe0010f60
Additional Hang Signature 4: 44b8
Additional Hang Signature 5: 44b8acadaba4d3ab1b38506572dd3e54
Additional Hang Signature 6: 3079
Additional Hang Signature 7: 307978a87f1955d2bdb8c7abe0010f60

What is causing LOGic 9 to be so slow? LOGic 8 worked just fine.

Thanks,
Vin
WN4AZY
#12 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2015 9:33:58 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Vin:

Where did this error dump appear? I have never seen anything like this before.

The only thing that I am aware of that will cause LOGic 9 to run slowly is if it is in compatability mode. It will take forever to do a prefix table lookup. It is SLOW. You'd almost think it was hung. So double-check that.

Call me and I can log in and look around.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K1VC
#13 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2015 11:03:45 AM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

That error dump came from Windows 7 Action Center. I had a small flag show up on my taskbar and when I opened it, it listed LOGic9 twice with the same error dump on 2 different days.

Vin, 73
K1VC
K1VC
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 8, 2015 7:55:20 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for all your help on the phone Friday. LOGic9 is running as it should on my machine!

Vin, 73
K1VC

BigGrin
WN4AZY
#15 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 8:26:48 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

You are most welcome. YOU are really the one who figured it out!

For my notes and for anyone else experiencing extreme slowness in LOGic 9:

LOGic was too slow to be useable. It took maybe 2 minutes to load and 2 minutes to exit. Some things worked OK. Prefix lookup, which is known to be super-slow if LOGic is run in Compability Mode, was fine. Going to tools/export took forever. I thought maybe it was the slowness of opening a file selector dialog, but no. Edit a File worked fine.

The solution was to move the install directory from c:\program files\logic9 to c:\logic9. Why this is, I have no idea. The system configuration was a little uncommon: A 64-bit processor running a 32-bit version of Windows 7.

We did not try safe mode or MSCOnfig to clean-boot. Vin had already tried disabling his virus checker. We also did not try the default installation directory of c:\program files\logic. But again, why should the location matter?

I will do some reading on Program Files vs Program Files (x86). Other than the fact that the registry affects default installation folders, as far as I know, they are just folders.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY