logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Dymo 450 Turbo - QSL label printer
vk4iu
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:12:50 PM(UTC)
VK4IU

Groups: Moderator, Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 68 post(s)
G'Day,

I have recently fielded several emails assisting with using LOGic. For the benefit of all, restated here is much of the detail of those emails. I always answer all emails, but much prefer my assistance with LOGic be provided on this LOGic forum for the benefit of all members, minimising my effort.

Printing QSL labels with the Dymo 450 Turbo can be tricky. The output can be very sensitive to the point size of the text on the label.

The report included with Logic, Reports,QSLing,QSL Labels,QSL Dymo Labels uses several different fonts, Courier New, Times New Roman and some text is bold, some text is not. In our case, the text on the label, not BOLD, was printed so lightly as to be unreadable.

Making all the text BOLD, seemed to solved the problem.

To modify the report, use Reports, Modify Report Layout in the usual way. Select the Report Layout Window. To make any item BOLD, simply point at it, and left click. The item will be highlighted with small black blocks. Then use Format, Font and change the setting to use BOLD text. To select several items, hold down the SHIFT key as you point and click on each item. To restart a selection, simply release the SHIFT key and point and click in any blank area of the report, and retry the selection.

select multiple items

That worked for us --- but. The labels printed in a readable form. But, when I attempted to make the "73, Peter VK4IU" two point sizes bigger, 8 pt, the label reverted to the "faint text" we had started with. Making the salutation 7 pt, saw the label again printed in readable form.

Clearly, there is some interaction between the printer driver and the pitch of the print head in the Dymo label printer when using small fonts. As we already had a good result, no further experimentation was attempted to find the real problem.

But wait, there's more!

The LOGic report includes the ability to print 2, 3, or 4 lines of QSO per QSL label.

To set the number of QSOs per label, change the call to the LOGic report function in Command Scripts,Before Run.

Change report to print 4 QSOs per label

This action, when the report runs, will see the report function create an additional set of "variables" for the label. Each line of the label has a set of variables, of the form qso_dateX, time_onX, freqX, rst_sentX, qsl_rcvdX - where X is 1,2,3,or 4.

To use this data, select and delete the salutation line - this creates the room on the label for the additional QSO line. Select each of the items for the third QSO. Using the Edit menu, COPY and PASTE the selection. Foxpro will duplicate the line so you can now use the keyboard keys to move the new items into place below line 3.

Now you need to change the variables in each field of line 4 to use variable number 4 - the data for QSO 4.

Make sure nothing is selected - point and click in a blank area of the report. Then double click on each item in turn, and change the variable used by the field. Like this ...

Change each variable

... be careful to change each occurrence, and only the variable names. Look carefully, the QSO date has two items, make sure you change both

That is it. The output should look like this - test data output.

Sample output

Attached are my modified reports. Download them and place in the Report folder under LOGic's installation folder.

File Attachment(s):
Dymo QSL Labels.zip (10kb) downloaded 66 time(s).
Peter VK4IU
You can help by posting images of any errors and including your Logic version.
1 user thanked vk4iu for this useful post.
K7PDW on 8/7/2016(UTC)
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
K7PDW
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2016 9:47:16 AM(UTC)
DAVE

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I am running LOGic 9 and the process is slightly different for making the QSL label bold.
VK4IU says, "To modify the report, use Reports, Modify Report Layout in the usual way. Select the Report Layout Window. To make any item BOLD, simply point at it, and left click. The item will be highlighted with small black blocks." and that all works. But I guess things have changed a little with LOGic 9 or I found a different way to accomplish the same thing.
Now that the item is highlighted double left click. In the Field Properties window that just opened, left click on the Style tab. Now left click on the box with 3 dots that is at the right side of the Font area. That will open the Font window. Make your changes and then back all the way out saving as you go. (I used Save As to change the file name by adding BOLD to the end.)

Thank you VK4IU for getting me started. I'd have never got there without your post. Hope the info I added will help someone else.
1 user thanked K7PDW for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/9/2016(UTC)