logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Band Map Overload ?
K8ZM
#1 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 12:37:36 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Hi Dennis, hope you are well !!

I have had LOGic freeze seemingly when the Band Map gets "overloaded". I've narrowed this down to those times when spots are almost non-stop, like during a contest. It fills the Band Map table to what seems to be its capacity, and when it happens, the Band Map window header will display "Logic Band Map not responding", if you click in that window LOGic will abruptly close. If you don't touch the Band Map window at all and instead try clicking anywhere else in LOGic, like the logform or browser nothing responds, its just frozen. Interestingly, a couple times the Band Map displayed "not responding" but you notice a large number of spots have aged to the point of expiring and when they do the Band Map comes back to life and the "not responding" notification goes away. The last 3 contests, CQ WPX, ARRL DX, and this weekends ARRL Jun VHF all froze with the "not responding" notification in the Band Table header. I have the aging period at the default of 30 minutes, I have not yet tried reducing it to see if will help to clear the table out faster but will the next contest. Only during extremely high spotting activity levels does this happen, for me during major contests, otherwise I have never seen it before.

The only other thought I had was maybe the (rig) frequency tracking in the Band Map window may be getting over-worked especially when contesting. Constantly spinning the dial on the rig(s) may be causing it to lock up, or, since there are multiple rigs involved, LOGic may be complaining since the Band Map is tracking whatever rig your spinning the dial on.

73 de Brad, N8GLS

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 8:40:52 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 484 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Hi Brad:

We're hanging in there, thanks.

What sort of computer are you running it on -- CPU, # of cores, RAM.

Decreasing the 30 minutes makes sense.

Quote:
since there are multiple rigs involved, LOGic may be complaining since the Band Map is tracking whatever rig your spinning the dial on.
Right, but it is unlikely that you would be spinning more than one VFO at a time.

Are you using all non-legacy rig drivers?

The NOT RESPONDING message is inserted by Windows, by the way. It is nothing I programmed into it.

Let me know what else you find.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY

K8ZM
#3 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 11:58:49 AM(UTC)
bwilliams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Hi Dennis,

PC is Intel Core i7-4770, 8 cores, 3.4 GHz, Win 10 x64 Home, 16Gb ram.

Drivers all non-legacy: IC-7610 #50, IC-7300 #47, IC-9700 #48. Next contest I'll troubleshoot and report back.

I did have another anomaly with the IC-7610 (Driver #50) when direct connected to LOGic at 115200. LOGic would abruptly close without warning, I mean it just would disappear off the screen. I traced this down to the IC-7610 when changing bands several times then spinning the Vfo and look back at the screen and LOGic is "gone". Running at a baud rate of 38400 and no issues. FYI the IC-9700 is at 115200 and no issues.

Makes me wonder.....should all the rigs be running at the same baud rate ??

FYI this past weekend running 2 instances of win4IcomSuite, one with the IC-7300 and the other with the IC-7610. Seemingly all ok thus far except a minor data mismatch error with the IC-7610 when closing LOGic or just going into Logic's setup screen. Entirely random, I cant find any repeatable rig functions that trigger it. I have all the gear and LOGic running all day everyday, it could be one or two days, or hours before the error shows itself. I seriously doubt its LOGic as it doesn't appear when any rig is direct connected to LOGic. This is when using com0com virtual com port utility so think this where the issue is. I'll be posting to the Win4IcomSuite forum this anomaly and will report back. Com0com seems to be a pretty old program and doesn't appear that many if any updates are ever released.

73 de Brad, N8GLS