logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Logic9 Crash When Rig USB Connection Lost.
K2WH
#1 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 9:17:33 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have been using logic to communicate with my FTdx3000 and it works great.

However, I usually shut the rig off when done, not the computer.

Doing that, causes an error to pop up basically saying it lost the link.

That error seems to be unrecoverable or fatal to Logic9 asking to continue yes or no.

Selecting "YES", just repeats the error, selecting "NO" causes the program to shutdown.

Upon going back in, it goes through its 'First Time" setup routine.

Not a big deal but a pain.

Bill
K2WH

Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
wa4pgm
#2 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 5:55:15 PM(UTC)
kchavis

Groups: Administrators, Registered, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 191 post(s)
I suggest you turn the link off before shutting down the radio. Otherwise you're going to get the popup error every time unless you disable the radio interface.

Click on Tools>Turn off radio & rotor interfaces

73 Kyle
1 user thanked wa4pgm for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/6/2018(UTC)
K2WH
#3 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 6:37:18 PM(UTC)

Well, of course that is an option, and of course I realize that but a well designed program should be able to handle the problem and not crash/lockup when it loses a connection.

I'm not saying Logic9 is a poorly designed program, (its the only one I ever used and love it), but it should be able to recognize the problem,

inform the user, handle the error and resume without crashing.

Just my opinion.

Bill
K2WH

WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, August 6, 2018 10:12:26 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 400 post(s)
Well, it's not just losing the connection. If that happens, you should be alerted, but LOGic will not crash.

What you are talking about is hardware disappearing. It hasn't been a design goal to handle that situation. Maybe it should be. Not sure how feasible that would be. I'll play around with that when I get a chance. The .37 update I put up today MAY handle it differently than it did in the past. You will still get an error, but you MAY be able to ignore it and continue. Turn the rig back on and give it chance to enumerate first.

(The FT-3000 has a built-in USB=>RS232 adapter, right? If not and all you are doing is merely severing the connection to the rig and not causing any change in the Windows device manager, then I can fix that).

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4AZY
K2WH
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:13:57 AM(UTC)

(The FT-3000 has a built-in USB=>RS232 adapter, right? If not and all you are doing is merely severing the connection to the rig and not causing any change in the Windows device manager, then I can fix that).

Yes, the rig does have a built in USB port internally that is just plugged into the computer USB port and yes by turning the rig off,as far as I know, it it has nothing to do with windows device manager.

Bill
K2WH
WN4AZY
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:58:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Open the device manager under PORTS COM & LPT. Turn the radio off and see what happens to the com port that is assigned to the radio.
K2WH
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:23:13 AM(UTC)

Actually, nothing happens and what I described earlier is not happening either.

So, I asked myself why, what is not happening now that was happening before and found out something very interesting.

I found that shutting off the rig using the rigs on/off button, nothing happens or changes to the ports but I get a simple connection lost notice from Logic.

However, when I turn off the power supply, that is when I get the crash error in Logic and the ports reset to other values.

So, with the rig turned off using its own power switch, I get a simply notice that it lost the connection but NO crash, I'm able to resume, no issues and I can turn it back on with its own power switch and Logic finds the port.

Here's the interesting part, turning off the power supply 12vdc, then I get the fatal error.

Seems the rig with power still applied even though its off, has internal circuits still functioning.

Bill
K2WH

WN4AZY
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:47:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Turning off the "power" switch to the rig leaves the USB adapter hot, so it looks to LOGic like a regular old-fashioned actual com port on the mother board. It is always there. But when your rig experiences a power failure, the com port disappears from the device manager I bet.

What it seems to me that these rig mfgrs should do is get the power from the USB cable like a regular USB=>RS232 adapter would.

Anyway, is the rig power button an acceptable solution for you? I am really not inclined to try to program around this. It would be a lot of added try/endtry blocks in the code -- not particularly difficult to do, but I am concerned about performance. And if I trap the errors, what do I do about it? I hate to ignore the situation. I could display a message of course, but Windows is already doing that. And I don't know that there is any way to recover without at least doing what the RESET RADIO AND ROTOR INTERFACES that is already in LOGic does.

Here is another idea: It would cost a little money but possibly not much. Does the rig have a regular RS-232 port or a traditional Yaesu CAT port? Forget the USB port in the rig and get a USB=>RS232 adapter (make sure it is FTDI), and a level converter if necessary.

I will play around with it here, simulated by unplugging my USB=>RS232 adapter for my Icon, and see if there is any way to recover without exiting LOGic.

BTW, if you click the SAVE button in the log form before leaving LOGic, it shouldn't be necessary to let it go thru the reindex phase when you restart.

Tnx for the additional info.

Dennis WN4AZY
K2WH
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 9:02:40 AM(UTC)

Dennis,

Turning off the rig for me is acceptable, I'm just glad I found out what is causing the fatal error.

Your description of the sequence of events is right on.

Don't try to do a workaround. Now that I know what the issue is, I just have to remember to shutdown Logic before I shut down the power supply.

Its a no biggy.

Regards,
bill
K2WH
1 user thanked K2WH for this useful post.
WN4AZY on 8/9/2018(UTC)