logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Migrating From WinXP to Win 10
AI4WW
#1 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 10:01:08 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi Dennis,
Hope you had a Merry Christmas!
Today I migrated my LOGic9 installation from WinXP to Win 10. The only place I could install in on Win 10 was in the "Program Files (x86)" folder. This placed the logdata folder in the Program Files folder, which is not usually backed up by the backup software.
On WinXP I had LOGic9 installed in the Users folder, so that it would be easily backed up.
Is there a way in Win 10 to move the logdata folder and other customization files to the Users folder? Or, is there a way to install the entire application in the Users folder?
Dan AI4WW
Sponsor
Note: We receive a commission from Amazon when you purchase via this link. It does not affect your cost. Thank you!
WN4AZY
#2 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 1:15:28 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
I'm not aware of any reason why you can't install it anywhere you want. I just installed it to d:\tmp\logic and it works fine. I have Win 10 also.

To move yours, just reinstall in the desired location. Then copy the LOGIC folder from program files (86) to on top of your desired location. Make sure it works. Look in tools/path and file info to make sure it is using the data at the new location. Then you can delete program files (x86)\logic.

It is also possible to locate the program at one place and the data somewhere else. That is recommended only if you need more than one log, or want to share your data with another computer on OneDrive.

Tnx & 73,

Dennis WN4aZY
AI4WW
#3 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 7:58:10 PM(UTC)

Hi Dennis,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I followed your advise and copied the LOGic install folder from 'Program Files (x86)' to the C:\Data folder, which is being backed up on my computer. I launched it from the new location and it worked well; the Path and File Info utilities showed all paths pointing to the desired location.
Then I renamed the original LOGic folder from the 'Program Files (x86)' to something else. When I launched the application from the c:\Data folder, I got the following error message: File 'lockwindowupdate.prg' does not exist, and it did not run. After changing the name of the folder in 'Program Files (x86)' back to LOGig, the program started to work fine again.
What else can I do?
Dan AI4WW
WN4AZY
#4 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 8:47:59 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators, Beta Testers
Man

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 401 post(s)
Try reinstalling at the new location. Don't uninstall anything. Just reinstall.
AI4WW
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:26:36 AM(UTC)

Yes, that did it! I've reinstalled at the new location and all is working fine.
Many thanks, Dennis.
Happy New Year!
Dan AI4WW